Watchmen, a Call to Arms. Stamp Out Stupidity at DC Direct!

This particular thought has been much on my mind for months and since most of you here have a fondness for sci-fi and allied entertainments outside of strictly Star Wars, I felt this was a good place to voice my protest.

DC Direct, DC Comics' toy manufacturing arm, which makes the best action figures ever based on their own properties, had planned, then canceled, figures based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' "Watchmen" series. The line was going to include two releases of some of the best figures of some of the best characters in the history of comics! The first release was to have included Dr. Manhatten, Silk Spectre, and The Comedian. The release of the figures was to coincide with the anniversary of the series and have been part of a merchandising blitz.

Then it happened. The incredibly fickle Alan Moore rekindled his blood feud with DC over creative issues and refused to sign off on the anniversary celebration of his master work. In support, Dave Gibbons jumped off of the Watchmen Anniversary bandwagon as well, prompting DC to just drop the entire celebration, including the release of many related items. Not the least of these being the action figures. DC felt, "it just wouldn't be a party without them [Moore and Gibbons].

That is as may be, however, I fail to see the logic in abandoning the figure line in absence of an anniversary celebration. There is no such fanfare surrounding the so-called "Hard Traveling Heroes" or various Vertigo characters. It was not Flash or Green Lantern's career milestones that prompted figures based on their respective Rogues Galleries. Superman, Aquaman, Shazam! - Not a party or celebration in the lot, yet the figures kept to their scheduled release dates.

What am I rambling about? I am hopeful that we can get a groundswell of support to petition DC Direct to greenlight the Watchmen figure line again. We should not have to do without (as fans) what would have been the best selling DC Direct line ever just because Alan Moore is a spoiled brat and Dave Gibbons is a bleeding heart conformist! Thoughts o' Watchmen fans?
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Watchmen is, hands down, the greatest comic book series ever written. I recommend it to just about everyone I know, whether they collect comics or not. It's one of those rare gems that surpasses the "funny book" genre and enters the realm of literature.

I was just telling a friend of mine about it last week and while I was describing the storyline I kind of noticed something familiar. Without spoiling too much, in the end of the book the entire world puts aside their minor squabbles and unites in aiding the people of New York City after a terrible attack from an unknown threat. Hmmmm. Want to know more? Want to know how the superheroes deal with the threat? You'll have to read the book. Trust me, nothing plays out in a predictable manner.

As for DC Direct's decision to cancel the action figure line, well I can't understand how it would hinge on Alan Moore's mood on any given day. To think that we will never have a Rorshach figure because Mr. Moore woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning? It peeves me to no end. C'mon DC, get your head out of your four-point-of-contact and make these figures!

Ahhh...good old Watchmen!!! Who Watches the Watchmen????? I love this comic book 12 part maxiseries!!! Although it was released almost 16 yrs. ago??? And to think that we could have Rorschach action figure in our hands...fighting Ozzymandias with his "cat"...lets hope Alan Moore and Dave Gibons reconsider...as for the comic book...just go to your nearest comic book store and get it!!!

As always...........L

Post Never gonna happen

Alan Moore feels burned by DC -- I'm not sure why. I read he was horrified when DC purchased the Wildstorm line from Jim Lee. He doesn't like working for either of the big two. I'm not sure if they stifle his creativity or what.

I've always wanted a Dr. Manhattan doll though.

Would that be an anatomically correct Dr. Manhattan doll?

Cole I still haven't read the Watchmen yet!
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

D'oh!
    I need to get one of my many reading copies of the TP of Watchmen to Sith Worm!

And in answer to Big Barada's question, they were shooting for a Vietnam Era super-shorts look for Dr. M. Not the final incarnation, but thankfully not the first version of his "costume" either. Ironically he comes with a Martian landscape base (or would have). I suspect a nude Dr. M would have been a bit much, even for the direct market.

Hopefully DC will come to their senses and realize that they own the characters and don't need Moore or Gibbons to sign off on them. I'm going to see if there is an email address that might prove useful and we could start an email campaign.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Thumbs up

I'll back up that JC. Everything to see a Rorschach figure!!
    As always...........L