Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I can't buy that "blade" explanation, it doesn't fit. Look at the X-wing, the Y-wing, and the A-wing, all three are shaped like the English letters they are named after, yet the B-wing, which IS shaped like a "b" doesn't fit in with this just to mess with our minds? Take a look at the Action Fleet Series Alpha B-wing and the B-wing designs in other reference books, it LOOKS like a "B" in earlier designs.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I always thought of it as a capital B on either side like evenflow proposed. Sure it takes imagination unlike the other 3, but I just assumed they wanted it to "fit" the pattern of X,Y, A,?
    Though I must admit the lower case b theory does make sense.

Can I go with both explanations?

Actually, what I've heard is-- Incom made the X wing, and then the Y wing... General Dodonna designed the A wing, and then the same company who made those made the B wing soon after, and implemented them into the rebellion's fleet by Ackbar. There's also an E wing in the EU, so I wonder if there's a C and D wing?
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((IIIIIIIOIIIII

Tom Coglin does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
    But he asks the impossible. I need more Monkey-Chow.
    - Caesar

They had to call it a b wing. I mean t wing would have been silly. Ha, just kidding. I don't get it either, but it's still cool to me.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Nah, it doesn't look anything like a lower case B. It's symmetrical while 'b' is asymmetrical. I would accept that explanation if it were called the I-Wing since it looks more like an i with the cockpit on top and the wings drawn in.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Like bibfortuna, I've also heard the 'blade' explanation too. If you picture it with the cockpit at the bottom it's meant to look like a sword or dagger, which I suppose it does.
    and I thought they smelled bad on the outside...

Would you really want a fighter shaped like a giant capital "B" anyway?

Wink

I think it was supposed to be called a t-wing, but the conversation got interupted and someone thought he said "Bee" instad of "Tee". It was a simple mistake, but they decided to live with it. Also Luke was supposed to be Lukas Cryhopper, as is evident in ANH.

Hmm... I always thought it could stand for Bi-wing. :happy:
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I think the B-Wing looks like a capital B. Take a look at this picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b-wing.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	1728