What is .001, .003 etc all about?

I know this is some specific code or something for identifying the exact figure and variant. But where can I find this?

It's on the UPCs, it was originally to tell different card styles but now they use it differently.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

These were found on the EP1 and POTJ fgures. The numbers referred to which set or batch of figures were first, such as .0000, .0001, .0002 and so on. I hope that helps, otherwise I'm sure other members of the forum would be glad to assist you.
    Padme wants some Jedi Juice!

Sorry, nevermind.
    Padme wants some Jedi Juice!

Basker, I believe it goes beyond that and was only on the UPCs for the POTJ figures since they had generic cardbacks but separate UPC stickers. The .00 series numbers are at the end of any Hasbro printed packaging elements after the product code (which is different from the UPC number), the changes are/were meant to show that something on that package's printing had changed, from colors to text to fixing a misspell. The more elements they add, the more .00 numbers you'll find - on the original POTF2, they had just the one .00 style system; on POTJ, they had a number for the Jedi Force Files, for the cardbacks, and for the UPC stickers.

This may be changing with Saga, the numbers aren't clear as to why they don't start at .0000 (the numbers changed from .00 to .0000 during Ep 1's first wave) but have different variable .xxxx numbers instead.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I noticed on the Preview figures' inserts they each had different .0000 numbers.

POTF2-POTJ they were used for card changes and were in a little box (they added the box later or took it away later, can't remember which), now on the Saga figures it looks like they're used to direct which insert goes to what figure.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Saga seems to have changed the rules slightly, the various printed product codes don't seem to correspond to each other, the insert for Han Endor (where the UPC is located) is definitely different from the cardback... completely, not just the .xxxx style number, everything before and after.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.