Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What next???

Thumbs up

I also missed Cyborg from the Super Powers line, i still have the little comic books that were included with the figures, but sadly there were no little comic books for the last waves. From the last versions i missed also Dr. Frezee, Orion, and Lightray. I got TYR, Cyclotron, Golden Paraoh and Plastic Man. Did i miss someone??
    As always...........L

Originally posted by JediCole
    I also collected comics back when they were worth collecting (don't get me started)
    I feel your pain. I remember when stories and character development were actually the driving force behind comic books. Then Image comes along and suddenly they're all about flash pages, variant covers, big guns and big busted womens.

I think GEN13 was the straw that broke the camel's back for me with it's 13 variant covers and "let's see how many T&A shots we can cram into this issue" storylines.

Of course, books like Marvels, Kingdom Come, Madman, Bone and Hellboy kept me going through these dark times.

I love Bone! And Sin City. "93 was the last year I seriously collected comics. I tried half heartedly to keep collecting X-Men titles the following year but pretty soon I realized i was buying them and bagging them with out reading them, so I quit. I occasionally walk into the local comic shop, but nothing screams "BUY ME!" anymore.

Thumbs up

In the 80's it was always He-Man, ThinderCats, Silver Hawks, and Tiger SHarks. After that it was the superheroes.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    I love Bone! And Sin City. "93 was the last year I seriously collected comics. I tried half heartedly to keep collecting X-Men titles the following year but pretty soon I realized i was buying them and bagging them with out reading them, so I quit. I occasionally walk into the local comic shop, but nothing screams "BUY ME!" anymore.
    I feel the same way nowadays. I don't know what it is that killed my interest, maybe the high-quality, style-free artistic sameness or maybe the storylines that prove nobody has any original ideas anymore.

However, I truly believe it was the collector/scalper mentality that killed comics as it will kill off the action figure market.

Anyway, back to the subject, did anyone else here take an interest in Robotech when it came to the US? Right before getting back into Star Wars, with the 1987 release of the RPG, I was a huge fan of Robotech: The Macross Saga. However, once the aforementioned Star Wars RPG came out, in addition to Star Trek: TNG on TV, I was a dedicated Star Wars and Star Trek fan. Once TNG got cancelled and I got to witness the birth of Voyager, I became solely a Star Wars fan.

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Any pins, usually sports or USA related (Olympics, VFW [Veterans of Foreign Wars, which is an organization my grandparents were in], Pittsburgh stuff, Disney, comics, etc.).

No pins of orange soda cans, though!
    Would that be the 1984 Olympics in LA?Very interesting...
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Yes, GNT. But also the 1996 ones in Atlanta, too. I have stopped the pin collecting a while ago. Only comics I buy are Marvel SW and occasionally Dark Horse SW.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

This thread is starting to get interesting. Let's see, my collecting habits went like this:

Transformers (The best original idea for kids toys since the invention of the action figure)

G.I. Joes (The 3 3/4 inch stuff only) I really liked all of the accessories. That was what really "did it" for me. The articulation was also VERY impressive, though it tends to detract from the level of detail.

Football cards and Comics. This pretty much continued up 'til 1994! In fact, I recently went back through all my old Football cards and re-discovered some impressive rookie cards.

I then took a break from collecting. I can't tell you how much I wish I had started collecting Star Wars back in '95 when they re-started the line! I will be playing catch-up for years.

Nowadays it's mostly Star Wars figures. I also collect Movie Maniacs and SW related comics.

However, being a sports fan, and a sucker for incredible detail, I have bought a few of the McFarlane sports figures. I absolutely HATED Starting Line Up. Thank goodness McFarlane managed to get the contract with the NFL/NHL (the only 2 sports I care about).

I know, McFarlane makes "Statue figures" but I can live with that! The new Peter Foresberg looks GREAT next to my Patric Roy. This Colorado boy is a HUGE Avs fan.
    May the force be with you.

Thanks to BigBarada and Rollo for sharing my pain at the loss of worthwhile comics. I have to agree with points made about (some of) the causes of the ruination of this once beloved medium and consumer of my collectable dollars. The aptly named Image Comics was one of they key figures in the assassination of the comic as it once was and could have been. They ushered in the age of hype-art (big guns, big chested babes, art driven comics) and promoted unabashedly the era of the gimic (gold/silver/prism covers, multiple covers, multiple endings, special "chase" editions, #0's, #1/2's, retailer incentives, etc.). It was the end of the collector/speculator era but no on knew it yet. And yes, the "scalpers" did help ruin the very industry they sought to profit from the most. Another culprit in the demise of the comic as we knew it was Marvel Comics, but that is another story entirely.
    Anyway, I will be posting at some point this week in General Discussions, a thread about comics and where they've gone and where they were when they were still great. We can all share what we know about their demise in that thread (like the fact that Gen 13's 13 covers were further complicated by the fact that one was largely blank and random copies had images drawn and signed by Jim Lee himself freshly inscribed in the blank area, while others had nothing in that great white field).
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.