Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Whales in Episode II?

Early in the development of The Empire Strikes Back, Bespin was identified as Katbrae, and then Kettlebrae, The Gas Planet. An intriguing concept was the entire planet somehow possessed a cloaking device that made it and its floating cities invisible from space. In these early incarnations, the Gas Planet was home to an intelligent species called the Whatnots, which traveled on immense flying whales.

Lucas has long been trying to get these whales into the Star Wars films. The Bespin whales were recycled into Return of the Jedi concept art, originally as a means of conveyance later replaced by Jabba's sail barge and skiff. They were then possible concepts for the Gungan military when developing The Phantom Menace. An incarnation of these whales will finally be seen in Attack of the Clones. (Taken from StarWars.com)

But where will we see them?
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

Whales flying or not.Hey, why not.It worked in Star Trek.
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

The flying space whales in the concept art for Ep 1 were the last straw, I don't think Lucas should try to bring these in, it seems kinda like a '70s poster come to life.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Whales could be on Kamino, the water planet where the clones are made (Obi-Wan vs. Jango Fett scenes fought in the rain).

It won't make or break the movie in my view. ( unless I read something else, like the whole movie is seen from the point of view of this large whale that flies through space and watches over Anakin: Moby-Dick-Obi. Vader risks his life to hunt it down in Episode 3 - or is that another movie? )

Whales?

Does Natalie count?
    Lucas: "Stop that, my hands are dirty."

Rick: "So are mine."

Long Live Yaddle.

Star Wars Episode III: McCallum's Revenge aka "It's freakin' awesome!"

Originally posted by JediTricks
    The flying space whales in the concept art for Ep 1 were the last straw, I don't think Lucas should try to bring these in, it seems kinda like a '70s poster come to life.
    YES!

(The group )

Just suggests lazy design work in my humble opinion. Can't be bothered to think up anything decent so just pick the first crap rejected design and use that. Kinda like the haphazard way we saw Lucas picking vehicle designs in the making of documentary.
    Eeny meeny miney moe...... Hey - the crap whale design again! Well whadda ya know.......

I would hazard a guess that that cloaked planet thing has been recycled too to become Kamino. We'll probably find all sorts of recycled designs in ep2. Some good, some bad. Personally, I never liked the whale design. I always thought it looked lame. Although not as bad as the possible use of giant Albatross in the early Alderaan design work for ANH..........

Does anyone have a link that might show the concept design for the whales?

Thank you...EMPEROR JARGO. I hope they end up like that...very cool looking.