12 Inch or 1/6 Scale?

Originally posted by derek
    i just compaired my 12 inch versions of R2 and 3-PO, and actually i think 3-PO is too tall and R2 is too small.
    "too tall", "too small" by what measure?

R2-D2 is 0.96 meters. "6 inch" R2-D2 is 0.16 meters. That is 1/6 scale.
    C-3PO is 1.68 meters. "12 inch" C-3PO is 0.31 meters. If that should be 1/6 scale he would be 1.86 meters.

12" is just that, twelve inches.
    1:6 scale is a size proportion.

SO... by N-2PF's scale, R2 is 1:6th scale while 3PO is just 12" tall.

*SS*

12" figures are supposed to represent 6' people, so that would make them 1/6th scale - hence, 12" would be a standard for 1/6th-scale figures. I consider the terms to be synonymous when used to discuss these figures.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Either way, people know what is being referred to. I personally think that 1/6th scale is more accurate as the figures are made to that scale roughly. A 12" line suggests that all figures are 12" similar to GI Joe or Ultimate Soldier. The SW figure have enough variation (Leia, R2D2, Ewoks, Anakin M.E., speederbike, Taun Taun, IG-88) to call it a 1/6th scale.

I just realized that this forum section is called 12" Scale. I guess either SW 12" Figures or SW 1/6th Scale would be better.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

It's called Hasbro 12" Scale because I thought it looked better and applied to more of the various lines since figures like R2 are much shorter than 12" but figs like IG-88 are taller than 12". I knew Hasbro 1/6th Scale sounded too much like models and Hasbro 12" not only didn't apply to IG-88 and R2 and such, but also it didn't look very good as a forum section name.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It sure is a tough thing to nail down that's for sure. Like I said before, we all know what it refers to no matter which name version you picked.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.