Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greedo shooting first was a bad idea, but...

what the hell was he shooting at? Obviously not Han, since the blast hit about four feet above his head! From two feet away! Maybe Han was wrong to shoot poor Greedo, since Greedo wasn't shooting at him.

Anybody have any ideas as to what Greedo was shooting at? A fly on the ceiling, perhaps?

It was just a stupid idea, Greedo wouldn't miss from there, god only knows why they put it back in!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Maybe it was just a warning shot to show Han that he wasn't fooling around?

It really is a shame that it was changed. I used to think it was one of the ~coolest~ of all Han scenes. Now it's the dumbest.

Greedo shooting first isn't what bothers me, though I would prefer if he hadn't. What bothers me is the fact that he missed by a few feet when shooting from nearly point blank range. That was just stupid. NOBODY would miss that far from that close. Especially a bounty hunter. A near miss over Han's shoulder would have made it a little more realistic, and a lot easier to watch. That part just makes me cringe.
    "Asteroids do not concern me, Lucas. I want those DVD's, not excuses."

Thats the part I really dislike. Anyone with thier eyes closed could have hit Han. I like the idea that he was just wraning Han. Thats the only idea that will work here.

Hey! This will make my 1000 post. Jedi Master here I come.[Dances around the room saying "I'm a Jedi Master,I'm a Jedi Master......Wife looks in on me,rolls her eyes,I look ashamed,she leaves. I'm a Jedi Master....I'm a Jedi Master.]
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Originally posted by Obi-Don
    [Dances around the room saying "I'm a Jedi Master,I'm a Jedi Master......Wife looks in on me,rolls her eyes,I look ashamed,she leaves. I'm a Jedi Master....I'm a Jedi Master.]

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    See, in the original version that everyone wants restored, Han doesn't actually preemptively shoot Greedo. They shoot simultaneously. Greedo shoots at Han and Han returns fire under (and through) the table. Theres a great cacaphony and confusion and smoke. You're not sure what's going on. Then, after a "beat", Greedo slumps over. In order to make the scene work like George originally planned, he had to make it clear that Greedo was shooting at Han first. So he made it overly obvious that Greedo shot, then there was a ridiculous long pause (in terms of a blaster fight) before Han returns fire. To make it more realistic, you'd have to space the timing of the two blasts closer together, but that would ruin the effect George was after. I personally think that the way he did it for the SE sucks exactly for the reason you mentioned. It makes Greedo look so pathetic and harmless that it actually makes Han look like a bigger jerk for killing this obviously near sighted alien than if he had just left it alone and Han had nailed a "dangerous" Greedo in cold blood.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Han nailing Greedo in cold blood does SO much to establish the nature of the character - changing that scene changes Han's entire being. He's gone from someone on the edge, someone dangerous, to just another one of us who would kill someone to save their own butt. Han works so much better as the "kill or be killed" type, it gives more credence to Luke being protective of Leia, to Leia's struggle with her emotions for Han, etc, etc, etc.
    HAN SHOT FIRST.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

The whole idea was to make Han not seem like a cold-blooded killer. And it wasn't really murder, since Greedo was armed it didn't matter who shot first.

In war, soldiers take aim and kill opposing soldiers. One of them has to shoot first. Does that make them murderers? No!

well, they made han step over jabba's tail that wasn't there to begin with, so why couldn't they make him duck at greedo's more on the mark blast... maybe something for the archive editions...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope