Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Does anyone read anymore? or What is your favorite book?

For my 300th post, i thought i would start a new thread, and being a (sort of) bibliophile, i wanted to know what my fellow star wars freaks like to read...

i love anything by kurt vonnegut, except i couldn't get through "player piano" for some reason. everyone should read Slaughterhouse 5, and Sirens of Titan. i think when i rule the world, everyone will have to. Sirens actually answers the meaning of life...

i love anything by chuck palhaniuk, the author of Fight Club, Choke, Invisible Monsters, and Survivor, although i have yet to read Survivor. i have it... somewhere...

so? anyone else? give me some titles that i should read... give everyone else some titles they should read!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Nope, don't read anymore! Err... then why am I here?

I don't read alot unless I have to. I've read the whole Young Jedi Knight series, but that's about all I've read at will...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Book-a-week-Bob...my nickname down at the library. Not really, but I, on average, read a book a week...almost like an addiction.

As for good authors, I'd recommend John Irving (I've read and enjoyed all the fiction he's written), Ray Bradbury (another classic author of horror, sci-fi, and just plain old fiction), Arthur C. Clarke and Gregory Benford for sci-fi stuff, and I've just recently read all three of the Civil War suspense offerings by Owen Parry (very enjoyable). So many others to name, but those are just a few.
    -Bob
    I am blind to the value of this pain...

Jonna
    Thank God there is someone else that actually reads out there. For those that don't, here are some brilliant books:

God and the New Physics
    The tao of Physics
    A Brief history of Time
    Figments of Reality
    The search for Super strings, Symmetry and the Theory of Everything
    Schodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality
    Engines of creation
    Realms of the human Unconscious
    The White Hotel
    The Stranger
    The Fall
    A Happy Death
    Zarathustra
    Adventures in the skin Trade.....

I'm getting tired of writing so:
    Anything by Goethe, Camus, Einstein, Rimbaud, Nietzsche, Jung, Sartre, Spinoza, Kierkegaard, Artaud, etc.

I wish that I had my bookcases in this room; this post would be several pages long.

Jonna
    Alright these are the best pieces of literature ever written.

A Happy Death by Albert Camus
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche
    A Season In Hell by Arthur Rimbaud

Honorable mention off the top of my head:
    The White Hotel by Dylan Thomas
    Faust by Goethe
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe

Anything by

Marget Weis and Tracy Hickman
    (Death Gate series, Dragon Lance) .

R.A. Salvatore
    (Icewind Dale trilogy)

I'm in the middle of reading of Alice Borchardt Trilogy

Oh yea, any Star Wars books
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.

Right now i'm tackling the New Jedi Order series. but anything starwars.
    "It takes more than one step to go the extra mile for someone"

Good Sellers:

BJBFrericks

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I'm reading Orson Scott Card's trilogy right now. Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. I just started Xenocide.

Everybody should read Tolkein once. I've read the trilogy twice now. It was even better the second time. I'm a big fan of Larry McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is the best western book I've read in years. I like Tom Clancy too, but after awhile all his characters start sounding the same.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germaine chronicles.
    Piers Anthony (particularly Xanth and Incarnations of Immortality)
    Crichton is good for quick reads.
    Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters is a funny humorist book.
    Stephen Ambrose's WWII books (D-Day, Citizen Soldier, Band Of Brothers, Wild Blue, etc) are amazing historical roadmaps.

Like Jonna said, there's so much out there, just pick up a book and start reading. I was telling madubon the other day to pick historical military geniuses and read biographies about them. Fascinating chaps, military guys.

Sometimes I get depressed because there's so much out there, you could spend 24-7-365 reading, reading, reading, and not even scratch the surface of what's good out there...think of all the great literature you will miss out on in your lifetime.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I enjoy reading as well. Im currently plodding through Vector Prime, and wish I hadn't bothered starting. It's always that way for me and SW books. I did like the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn for the most part. I read the novelization of Star Wars when I was in Grade 1!
    I like Stephen King (the mastermind of modern cursing) and am just past halfway in Insomnia. Probably the best one of his I've read in the past 5 or 6.
    I like Tom Clancy, but I went on a 4 book stint of his and had to take a break. Ill go back and pick up after Sum of all Fears one day. His non fiction book about the Marine Expeditionary Unit was pretty cool.
    I like Tolkien, although I've only been through the Hobbit and LOTR. I agree, everyone should get through them. The size is daunting, but I did see a boxed set of 5 smaller volumes instead of the usual 3. Probably more accessible for kids.
    I've enjoyed all 4 Harry Potter books by JK Rowling.
    I've enjoyed most of what I've read by Michael Crichton and John Grisham. Im going to try Ludlum's Bourne trilogy again soon, I got stuck the first time. I need copies with larger print than the last ones. Nothing like reading one page for 20 min. (I got sick of that in University!).
    I also like to read a military book here and there, most recently "The One that got away" and "Bravo 2 zero" by two British SAS soldiers that got compromised in Iraq. Great, great reading. I can't find a copy of Black Hawk Down anywhere, but when I do I will read it straight away.
    I like to read biographies of sports figures, although my latest, Joe Dimaggio by Ben Cramer, has me bogged down and stuck. Quite dry, but Im working at it.
    I read many, many, many comic books by various publishers but highly recommend Warren Ellis' work in any facet, old trade paperbacks of Preacher by Garth Ennis and Sandman by Neil Gaiman, anything by Frank Miller, and classic Marvel stories by Stan Lee.
    I pretty much have something on the go in terms of reading all the time.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

All 4 Harry Potter books!
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!