"Unleashed" figures review thread....

Hasbro takes a stab at the specialty market of ultra-detailed figures dominated by Art Asylum & McFarlane with these larger-scale sculptures of key characters....
    Unlike the "Epic Force" line of a few years back, these figures are an artist's "interpretation" opposed to an exacting replica of the character. The poses are more severe and look "caught" in action.

The packaging is a LARGE blistercard that has a bit of flair to it. Instead of just being another "Saga"-styled effort, this card's color-scheme and logo work are textured and edgy...making it stand out well among the saga product. A couple of nits...the figures are so heavy on the cards that if retailers attempt to hang these on pegs, the result is going to be torn & bent tabs and corners....the other is: after all the prose on the cardback about an "artist's interpretation", there is NO MENTION of who the artist is! To Hasbro's credit, they make it clear in the text that these are SCULPTURES, not action figures so the lack of posability (not even the head turn!)is no surprise. While these figure look alright in the package, they really shine put together off the card.

The first entry is Jango & Boba Fett...caught in action on the rain-soaked Kamino landing platform. The platform base has a clear plastic layer simulating rain spatters to good effect. The Jango figure's extreme stance would not stand up were it not for the metal pins on the soles of his well-detailed boots. The sculpt is excellent, with a little artistic license taken with the armor (heavy gouges & scratches) and the hands hold the pistols with the trigger fingers on the triggers (instead of just holding the butt of the gun like regular action figures do). That little detail adds alot to the look of the figure. The jet pack is held on by a peg (similair to the other treatments of the character).

Young Boba is posed on one leg (again with a metal pin for support) & his head is easily removable to put the rain poncho on. The poncho has two pegs on it that fit snugly onto Jango's leg, both for support and to help the look of the figure reaching over his Dad's leg. The finished look really captures the dynamic of this father and his "son"...

The second entry is Darth Maul, posed in a menacing leap above a swirl of flame (or lava or "force energy" or...) above a small platform. Again, a metal peg on the bottom of his right boot fits him snugy on the base for support.
    While the sculpt is interesting & dynamic (especially the robes), the horns on his head aren't uniform and are more rounded off than sharp. This could be part of the "artist's interpretation" again I suppose and it doesn't really detract from the look of the figure.
    One nit on this one is more a quality control issue...two of 'em actually. One: the saber handle is molded into the hand and prone to warping. I bend mine straight every time I walk by the thing but it still finds it's way back to that gentle curve. Two: a large glob of what I'd guess to be glue was on the front of the right boot. Couldn't see this when the figure was carded. It did scrap off with a little effort and some gloss black model paint covered the "scar" but this experience took off a little of my enthusiasm for the line....
    Still, I enjoy this interesting rendition of the vanquished Sith Lord, but out of the two figures released so far, I like the Jango/Boba set more.

I wish the price point on these was a little less (like around $10. maybe). Perhaps other folks feel the same way...even at $14.99 (US) at WalMarts, these are still starting to stack up. I hope they move enough to get retailers to order the next assortments.
    I'm really looking forward to the Padme Amidala one & the rumoured Mace Windu one could be cool. Jury's out on the Anakin til I see it....

Ultimately, I have to give a nod to Hasbro for trying something different for the line....

So are these figures statues or do they have a little articulation?

they are statues....NO articulation at all.

Oh. Then I guess I'll stay away from them!

Every Jango Fett I've seen has too much black overspray paint on the front. Is that the case with yours? If so, is it still a problem out of the package?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The good thing about the statue though is that you're automatically getting the best pose. I mean, that's what a good statue does--captures a dynamic action moment. I like 'em, but yeah, they would've been better at say 10 or 12 each. They'll probably not fair too well at that price, especially what with the price drop on the regular figures and all...

I've seen them one time at Walmart and I havent seen them since. I do however want the Anakin figure. He looks awesome.