Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Why not import water to Tatooine?

If water is so scarce on Tatooine why not import it from other plantes? Clearly Kamino is full of water, I know it's far away, but surely other planets have tons of it.

I take it from my readings and understanding of the EU that moisture farming can be a lucrative business on Tatooine, so why wouldn't someone like the Trade Federation want to cash in on this and import millions of gallons upon gallons of water. Or is this another "Just Becasue" issue in the movies?

Thoughts......?
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Jonna
    To expensive for the seller/transporter...

Not to mention that Tatooine is controlled by the Hutts. I am sure that they would want a cut on this business.

Tatooine is on in the far reaches of the galaxy so the republic or the Empire has little to no intrest in it, the hutts wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, and also they would be loosing money from the moisture farming bussiness, so they just have to fend for themselves and find there own sources of water.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Plus Tatooine is a magnet for "scum and villiany" so most likely there would pirates attacking/hijacking shipments. They seem to get by just fine with moisture vaporators, afterall, they even can get blue milk.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Re: Why not import water to Tatooine?

Originally posted by icatch9
    If water is so scarce on Tatooine why not import it from other plantes? Clearly Kamino is full of water, I know it's far away, but surely other planets have tons of it.

I take it from my readings and understanding of the EU that moisture farming can be a lucrative business on Tatooine, so why wouldn't someone like the Trade Federation want to cash in on this and import millions of gallons upon gallons of water. Or is this another "Just Becasue" issue in the movies?

Thoughts......?
    Why would they want to upset the status quo? We know cigarettes are bad, but as they are one of America's biggest cash crops, we're not going to change anytime soon - going with the Hutt's control of the planet, keeping things the way they are is a good way to keep everyone subservient.

I get the feeling the Trade Federation doesn't make it past Episode 3.

For some reason, the movie "Ice Pirates" came to mind after I read this thread.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

And why would anyone want to import water to tatooine? there's nothing there...

Why do we the Grandest County in the world import oil from the middle east? Becasue we need it and can't make enough gas with the oil that we have.

I know Tatooine is by far not the grandest system in the Universe, but wherever there is money to be made, there is someone there selling it. I agree the Hutts would want a cut, but wouldn't they incourage this import since they'd cash in on it. I'm sure Jabba's always up for easy money. Transporting it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that some of the big freighters trasport stuff a lot heavier than water.

There's no real good answer, but it's fun to discuss
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Question

Uh, who would buy it? And do they have lots of credits or trade items to get it? Keep in mind these are pilots, bounty hunters, and smugglers who leave pretty quickly; farmers and colonists; scavengers; etc. Not your typical "big spenders," especially for just water. An Outer Rim planet is like a sparsely populated desert; who cares about it except for those who live there?

However, I've said for many years that a piping system to send flood and heavy rain waters to drier areas would be a great idea. Take all the central Texas flood waters and put out the fires in Arizona, Colorado, California. When crops whither in the Midwest, use Washington's consistent rain to help. We can put a man on the moon over 30 years ago but can't ship water 1500 miles?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(