Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pay more now, or wait 'till later?

Hello all,

I'm posing the question to this forum: Would you rather pay slightly (or a lot) more NOW to get a toy, or wait until much later and take your chances to get it cheaper?

Sometimes I find myself in a situation (I'm a variation collector so it becomes pain stakingly evident at times) when I cannot decide to put up the extra $5 or $10 to get a figure I may not find ever again, or JUST TO WAIT. Will I find it again at regular retail? MAYBE....but do I want to take my chances?? Most of the time I would answer no. I have made mistakes in the past, and if I have the money, I'll put out a few extra bucks to save myself the trouble.

This, however, does not apply to buying UN-RELEASED figures from out of the country. A company called "Noble-Toy", you all may have heard of, sells un-released toys at inflated prices with high shipping costs because it is from out of the country. You could get a figure or vehicle due out months from now TODAY if you just pay a price this is triple or quadrouple the retain price. I AM NOT BAD MOUTHING NOBLE-TOY, but just using them as an example. Buying un-released toys in that type of situation is stupid, IMO. Only because they WILL be released in time. And even if I don't find them on the shelves, I can hit up Ebay (if I choose to) for a small markup.
    http://www.streetmusicny.com

"Street Music" (Directed by JD Marlow) is a documentary short about performance in public spaces, focusing on NYC street and subway musicians. Check out my web site for more information about the film!

For varation hunting, that's kinda a trick question. I would say yeah, if you see the vairant, get it.

Now if we are talking regular collecting, I've said time and time again, WAIT!!! Everything will eventually get out to everyone. The only time this is not true is when they are closing a line, i.e. E1 line's last wave. But there is no point in paying $10-15 for a fig that in a couple weeks you could get for under $5. And ppl wonder why scalpers still exist. Just wait and you'll get the figs you want and have more money for more figs at the same time
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Well, it all depends what kind of collector you are.If your like me, you have to have whatever your looking for right away.I remember paying close to 9 bucks for a Jango Fett when it came out, because i had to have it.Price doesn't bother me really, hell, i spent 28 dollars for Yoda and Count Dooku on ebay.It doesnt really bother me.But if your looking for variant., its good to be an impulse buyer. Hope my reply can help someone, by how i have no idea.

Yeah... I always wait because to me it's just a waste of money... You'll soon find it in the store for 5 bucks and then you'll be mad at yourself for spending to much for something that could have been bought cheaper... The most I ever paid for a figure was 15 for a Jar Jar Binks (Swamp) and I knew I would never see it in a store. (This was after the Episode 1 line ended)
    I'm not a variation hunter so I have no idea on that...
    SUPER BATTLE DROIDS RULE YA FOOL!

Damn, i so want that Jar Jar Binks(I can't believe i said that!) But im not a variant hunter. If i see one thats obvious, ill pick it up. But I dont go out of my way to look for them.

Well, I think the best thing to do is WAIT. Although I always hear reports of everywhere receiving figures before my area, I try to wait until I can find the figures at the store. However, if Amazon or KB Toys online get the new figures, I will buy from them because they have reasonable prices. Also, the collectors in these forums are relly good at selling the figures you need for the retail cost..... as least for me. For example, I got the EP1 Jar Jar Naboo Swamp, Darth Maul Sith Lord, and Qui-Gon Jedi Knight figs for $15 plus shipping.
    Padme wants some Jedi Juice!

i try to wait but there have been times when is just bought online most of the sites i but form i found right here. And must of them have okay prices.

I fell for an auction from Noble Toy when around 4-23. It was the Mace Windu, $28+$14 shipping. HAHA, laugh at me, but I don't sit around all day feeling stupid about the decision. I don't even think about because I have more important things on my mind. Now if I had time machine and could go back and know that he would be warming pegs nation wide I wouldn't have done the buy it now. At the time I was worried about "completing" a collection ASAP. I didn't even know he wasn't in the first release. I didn't know they had more waves of figures. I was uninformed and I paid the price.

I truley don't feel that we will see "scalping" stop. Every collectible hobby has this effect. Look at the new quarters that are released. People buy them for more the a quarter. People are paying a couple dollars for a quarter that we will all be given to by store clerks in the future. Even bennie babies did this. Scalpers completley killed them by selling them at $100's of dollars.

We can all learn from the past and sit back and watch the new figures warm the pegs in the next couple months. And atleast know that if we miss out we can go on Ebay and pay $25 for it like those damn Episode 1 figures that are so elusive to so many.

Thanks

Ryan
    "hopped up on Jar Jar Binks"

Ahh, the ultimate age old question.

I guess it all depends on scarcity of an item. If I am certain I can find a figure when the clearances begin, I will put them off. He/she of course is probably a major pegwarmer. Right now I haven't gotten a Kit Fisto nor a 3-CPO. Part of the fact is that I limit myself to only a couple of figures a week, and so far I have snatched up the scarcer ones because I know I can easily find those two later. However, I am partly worried because believe it or not, my local Wal-Mart has nary a Kit nor a 3-CPO. Certain figures like Yoda, and Anakin HD were snatched up because you know it'll be hard to find those on clearance.

Also, the deluxe figures and most of the vehicles that aren't exclusives will get put off for later because they never seem to sell. I haven't picked up a Slave I yet because most stores have tons of them. I will not pay the $25 the stores want when I can surely pick them up at a later date for a cheaper price. :happy:
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Good things come to those who wait. How do I know? I ended up with 3 Yodas!
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!