Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldmember!!

Well, I did laugh several times . . . but do you remember Austin telling Spielberg "it was good, but it had some problems." ? ? ?
    Unfortunately, that turned out to be the case for me with this movie.

I'll just rip thru a list here, sorry if/when I offend

Michael Caine - never really cared for him in general, and I didn't like him here. But he had a few good lines, the best of which was his description of a baby arm holding an apple.

Goldmember - not that funny, glad he wasn't in it too much. Skin eating? Sorry, don't get it.

Seth Green - kinda funny in the first one, not funny in the second one, annoying in the third one.

Cameos:
    Cruise, Spacey, Travolta did nothing for me, Ozzy was a wasted opportunity.

Entire flashback of young Austin, young Doc Evil, young Basil, etc. - didn't like it, thought it should have been cut in favor of . . . anything!

Story "resolution" of Dougie and Austin as brothers - REALLY didn't like it, found it completely unsatisfying.

Beyonce Knowles - wasn't impressed with how they used her, but agree with everything Eternal Padawan said!

-------------------------------------------------------
    Fat Bastard - what do you mean the toilet humor was toned down from part 2? In general, this movie is DEFINITELY more like 2 than 1. That's a neutral point, I'm not saying it's good or bad.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I've been pretty negative, but I try to be optimistic too!

What I liked:

Austin Powers - I thought he was pretty cool, especially in his 1975 getup!

Dr. Evil - I love him, he had some stale moments but alot of it hit me as pretty funny . . . he's probably my fave character in the trilogy. :happy:

Beyonce Knowles - wasn't impressed with how they used her, but agree with everything Eternal Padawan said! yep, she makes the good AND bad list, for opposite reasons. All things considered, she could have done worse.

Fred Savage - held his own pretty well, considering he was a one joke punchline.

Mini-Me ! I love that little scamp, walking around prison like he's king - The joke about having "a little clone in you" was visible from a mile away, but I still laughed.

Clint Howard - I don't like him, so I was glad they kept his appearance minimal. Where was Charles Napier?

Sharks with lasers on their heads - very smart gag, nice nod to the first film. I was delighted to see them!

Cameos:
    Ozzy - okay, it was still good to see him. Though he was CLASSIC in his Private Parts cameo.

Spielberg - pulling out his Oscar that way? Hilarious! "well, this guy says it was great" (or something similar ) Yeah, I like the backflipping too!

Britney Spears - not so much for the opening, but for the end sequence, "Tripod? Can I give you my cell phone number?"

Quincy Jones! I'm not a fan of Burt or Elvis Costello . . . I was hoping Quincy was there in lieu of Burt, but it was still a nice treat.

There are many other things I liked / disliked, but personally I have to rank it third behind 2 (yep, I liked it more than 1) and then I'll put 1 in the middle. I certainly did like this movie, just not as much as I had hoped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few questions,

Did anyone catch Jay Roach's wife Susanna Hoffs (of the Bangles) in the movie? I didn't, but I noticed her name in the credits (as well as Donna D'Errico-Sixx )

What kind of cameo was Hurley supposed to have? I hated the way they turned her into a Fembot, so I just pretend she was switched after the wedding . . . but Basil knew all along . . . not like it matters in these movies.

And Felicity? Who's this Allday character? Refresh me.

Caesar, a couple comments about your comments. Like you didn't see that coming. The toilet humor was heavy in this one, but no where near as bad as the second one. It was confined only to the scenes with Fat Bastard that wasn't all that long. Thank gods. Atleast they didn't have Austin drinking some. "It tastes a bit nutty."

There is 30 some minutes of deleted scenes. Likely the scenes with Susanna Hoffs ended up on the cutting room floor. I also really didn't like Scott Evil in this one. While it leaves it open for a villian if they did a 4th one, I hope they don't. They wrapped everything up perfectly.

I don't mind the whole Austin and Dougie Powers resolution. I felt from the beginning they were going to end up related. But the fact that they were in Spy School together was pretty bad. The school uniforms made me expect to see flying broomsticks any moment.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I saw the movie last night, and laughed so hard my head hurt afterwards!

Does Dr. Evil die then or something?
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

JJB,

You're right this one was closer in tone to the first one and I thought it was hilarious! The line about an apple being held by a baby's arm was brilliant and I loved the Hard Knock Life number.

I thought Goldmember really worked for me, I laughed almost everytime he was onscreen. This one was a great improvement over The Spy Who Shagged Me.

no. Dr. evil joins austin and his dad after finding out that nigel powers is Dr. evils dad too. but scott stays with the evil. that's what the next movie will most likely be about.
    hango
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

I saw it last night. I enjoyed it pretty much. I didn't really care for the Goldmember character though. He just.....well, wasn't funny to me.

I liked what they did with Scott, but I don't know if a #4 is a good idea.

The Hard Knock Life number was great.

The opening sequence was very funny.

The "shhhh" sequence was just weird....I mean, WHAT were they even doing?

I think the whole, dad, brother thing, well, just seemed like a big clusterfudge to me. Especially the ending, it just, happened. I can't explain it, but it just didn't feel.......right. Kind of rushed or sloppy.

Overall, I liked it, and was entertained. Though I didn't think it was too much better than the second one. And on a whole, I think that Undercover Brother was a much better movie.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

i think i would have liked it if fat ******* would have stayed...........fat. but he was funny again overall. so was minie me!!!!
    hango
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

Originally posted by hango fett
    i think i would have liked it if fat ******* would have stayed...........fat. but he was funny again overall. so was minie me!!!!
    hango
    I'd liked him to have stayed fat too, but I thought the 'neck looking like a vagina' joke was funny .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I doubt that there will be a 4th movie. Mike Myers is tired of the charecter, and wants to move onto somthing else. It's always possible that he could change his mind, that's why they left a possible reason for a 4th movie at the end. But they wrapped up all the other charecters, because they don't expect to make another one. I'm fine with them stopping now. Better that then they keep making movies, and run the franchise into the ground.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.