Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I too only have about 20 DVDs so I'll just rate my top seven. My rating will be on the quality of the DVD in terms of quality and quantity of extras, technical specs, how cool the different screens/menus look, and overall ease of navigation. I'm not rating them by the actual quality of the movie.

1) Episode One - Simply the best DVD set I've ever seen. Beautifully done with great features and kick-A looking menus. I hope it's only topped by EP2 and LOTR.
    2) Matrix - Great options for all the behind-the-scenes viewing.
    3) Planet of the Apes (2001) - A lot of stuff just jammed into the set. The multi-view scene selection is a novel idea. Too bad the movie wasn't that great.
    4) Mummy (Ultimate set) - Watching this movie on my set is so awesome. It sounds and looks so good. Plus it also has tons of extra features and 3-movie commentary tracks.
    5) Nightmare Before Christmas - Not as many extras as these others, but we get to see a lot of TB's earlier work.
    6) X-Men - What I really like about this disc is that you can insert the deleted scenes back into the movie for full continuity. Plenty of production extras plus Hugh Jackman's screen test.
    7) Close Encounters - They included tons of deleted scenes that help to sort out some of the earlier movie scenes, i.e., why Roy gets fired, how Bob Balaban gets hooked up with Lacombe. What this movie glaringly lacks is director commentary by Spielberg. How could Columbia let this happen?

I've also seen the Godfather boxed set (my dad got it for XMas last year) and it also is a great compilation. I would include it in my list if I owned it.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    7) Close Encounters - They included tons of deleted scenes that help to sort out some of the earlier movie scenes, i.e., why Roy gets fired, how Bob Balaban gets hooked up with Lacombe. What this movie glaringly lacks is director commentary by Spielberg. How could Columbia let this happen?
    MC, Spielburg dispises Audio Commentary. He won't do it for any of his films, because he believes it hurts the magic of moviemaking if you have a director sitting there and talking about how the picture was made. He does make up for it with the in depth interviews that are extras on most of his LD's and DVD's. Sadly the Jaws and Close Encouunters interviews are shorter then they were, when they originally appeared on the LD's.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I agree. As long as he showers us with tons of insider goodies about how and why he shot his films, I don't care if it's a disembodied voice running over the film or not. I've gotten more out a film watching five minutes of Spielberg interview, than a two and a half hour commentary on other films. Some directors BLOW at doing commentary.

ROLLO!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Amen, EP. Some directors couldnt comment their way out of a paper bag. I do like Kevin Smith's audio commentaries though, because everyone is such close friends, they just enjoy talking and watching the movie. One of the worst people on Audio Commentaries is Arnold Schwarzennegger. I can't believe he got paid $750,000 for the commentary on the Total Recall disc.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Blow or not, it would be nice to hear Spielberg's take on what was happening here or there behind the scenes or how they did a certain shot technically. It wouldn't ruin anything for me at all. How long has movies like ET, CEOTTK, and Jaws been out? We've had plenty of time to muse over their innerworkings. Now let's hear what went into making each scene.

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I'd love to hear an Audio Commentary from him also Mandalorian, but unless he changes his opinion of them, it's never going to happen. Atleast he makes up for it with with good extra features on most of his discs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

So is it the directors now who are dictating what goes on their DVDs or the studio's call? I imagine someone like Spielberg has wide latitude but the average joe probably has to deal more with the whims of the studio and/or distributor.