Battle Squads Collectors

Well, I know Swaffy collects them but in case someone else does too I'll post rather than e-mail.

I went to TRU yesterday for the first time in quite a while just to look around. As I was leaving I walked through the diecast section and happened to notice atchbox Collectibles planes. They are the same size as the Battle Squads planes and look really nice. They don't come with figures and apparently have no action features so they're pretty much like the upcoming AFs They all come with stands too.

There are 6 in the series, all of which seem to be easy to find. I got 5 yesterday and the 6th today at another TRU.

The six are:

F4U-1A Corsair

P-40E Warhawk

F6F-5 Hellcat

P-38 Lightning

P-51D Mustang

MK1A Spitfire

They are 13.99 each (14.69 with tax around here)

I hope they come out with more, I'm surprised there are no Axis planes in the series.

Later,
    S43
    Last edited by shinakuma43; 07-12-2002 at 03:31 PM.

You caught my interest!

Seattle area doesn't have any TRu Stores in the area. Can you post the name of the matchbox series so i may make a search for them. They sound really cool, what are they made from, Plastic? Can you post a photo? Please let me know these sound like a great collection!

Sakay, I just took pics of them and edited the first post with the links. They are Die Cast metal and not plastic, but still look really nice. If you decide you want them just let me know and I should easily be able to get any or all of them for you.

Later,
    S43

I've been eyeballing these for a few weeks now, they look nice, but suspect (unfortunately, that describes EVERYTHING that comes from Matchbox now that Mattel owns them). Have you opened them up, and if so, what can you tell us about the props, the canopies, the landing gear, etc.?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I haven't opened them up. There is a clear window on the back as well and the landing gear doesn't look moveable. I don't think the propellers rotate either. I have no place to display them yet so I haven't opened them yet.

Later,
    S43

Hey guy's I live only a couple of miles away from Mattels headquarters and they have a company store open to the public,they sometimes put stuff like this on clearance,I'll let you guys know when there available.
    "This is Space Intruder Detector"

SID lives by the airport! I used to live around there, Mattel is in El Segundo, a buddy of mine still lives around there and occasionally picks me up cool swag cheap.

S43, that's the impression I got as well, and w/out movable landing gear I couldn't bring myself to drop $$$ on 'em.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They look quite good ,is that a ebay sign on the bottom right corner ?
    [IMG]http://www.military-art.com/images/dhm_280_small.jpg[/IMG]