Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's up with seeing trailers a year+ before

For a while we have been seeing trailers of movies that won't come out for a long long while. Is there a rhyme or reason for this besides the obvious.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

At first, I was gonna say "to beat the internet rush" so they don't get scooped by folks like AICN. But upon reflection, I remember seeing the trailer for Batman '89 nearly a year before at the Mann Westwood and discussing the idea of Michael Keaton as Batman at dinner that night... and the next day and the next. I think it's just an effective tool, give the audience a taste and let them create the buzz for ya.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ugh, that trailer for Titan A.E. before TPM was a nuisance, "Summer 2000"

JT, good point about Batman - as far as today's movies go, I'm guessing they really to need to push the film well in advance since the studios seem to go for the big opening weekend take without as much concern for any future weekends.
    If you have a movie getting slammed in reviews, that opening weekend is especially important to scoop up as much cash as possible before word of mouth kills it.
    Hype it up with snappy trailers and run with the dough!

Boy, that Batman movie was probably the biggest thing of its time if that happened way back then.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

They released the lackluster teaser for Terminator 3 the first week of July--almost exactly a year before the movie's release.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Don't forget they were also probably just taking advantage of the fact that people woud flock to see Episode 1.

The most annoying trailers I think are the ones that just have to show off every little pixel of CGI which then look too fake by the time you see the movie because you know that that is specifically CGI instead of having to decide right at the movie what's CGI and what's not.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Yes some movies like Two Towers or the next Harry Potter seem to get by without these early trailers. I understand that both are established as blockbuster movies already but as the internet proved with TFOTR is that people really want to see these trailers.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Originally posted by Caesar

JT, good point about Batman - as far as today's movies go, I'm guessing they really to need to push the film well in advance since the studios seem to go for the big opening weekend take without as much concern for any future weekends.
    If you have a movie getting slammed in reviews, that opening weekend is especially important to scoop up as much cash as possible before word of mouth kills it.
    Hype it up with snappy trailers and run with the dough!
    Heh heh, Titan AE trailer sucked eggs, everybody boo-ed it at the Chinese on Ep 1's opening day. Fox forcing theaters to air that trailer (along with... um... Anna & the King?) was a HUGE mistake.

One of the important things about having a big opening weekend is name-recognition for the home market. If you win your opening weekend and then do no more business, people are STILL going to remember the big opening weekend when they look at the video box. By that same turn, movies like Pluto Nash that have awful ad campaigns, cost $100mil to make, and then rake in only $2 mil on opening weekend get totally forgotten.

EP, LOTR2: The Wrath of Khan had a pseudo-trailer running with LOTR months ago, and it was an ACTUAL trailer because it ran AFTER the film.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, I'd rather see a trailer for a movie that's comeing out in a year than a trailer I've sceen 20 times on TV. I hate going to the movies and seeing the same trailers and commercials (Britney Speers) I see on TV for free. I'm paying for a movie and I want to see some good trailers.

I think these year + movie trailers create a lot of buzz. It's good for the movie and makes people want to go see it. They only do it with big moives (or what they hope will be big movies). I mean I've never sceen a trailer a year in advace for a movie like Swimfan.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Originally posted by JediTricks

EP, LOTR2: The Wrath of Khan had a pseudo-trailer running with LOTR months ago, and it was an ACTUAL trailer because it ran AFTER the film.
    Hey that would be cool to see the trailers after the movie, but that wouldn't work, everyone would leave. Anyone here have a movie theatre that shows a slide of local advertisements before the show. I remember on EPS 2 opening night everyone booed the theatre adminastrator because he said by contract they had to show it. It was funny hearing all the groanings.
    MWHAHAHAHA!