Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I never said anything about changing anyone. I was just wondering how they take the Star Wars thing. As I can see, most people have wives/girlfriends or what have you that are really great about it. What is with all of the negative vibes floating around this site lately?
    Thanks to the too numerous to list traders here who have made my collection a bit more complete!!

"Are we ashamed of our own fate, or play the fool for our own sake?"

Jonna
    Originally posted by jonboy
    I never said anything about changing anyone. I was just wondering how they take the Star Wars thing. As I can see, most people have wives/girlfriends or what have you that are really great about it. What is with all of the negative vibes floating around this site lately?
    Sorry, I tend to answer the voices in my head and not the post. As far as coping goes, WHY! Why cope with anything; why settle for anything? If someone does not like something then leave. It is just that simple.

As far as the negative vibes going on lately though, I completely agree. Something smells around here and I can't quite put my finger on it. I think that it is the constant fighting in certain threads that is spilling into other sections. I, on the other hand, do not follow these trends as I have always been this way.

My partner doesn't understand wh ya 30 year old man collects toys. He cannot get his head round it (much as he loves the films themselves). I either sneak stuff in, or face a disappointed sigh. I have reached then stage of stamping my ground now and just getting on with it (if he doesn't like it - tough).

Having said that we were in the states for the Saga launch and he did hep me find what I wanted in WalMart.

Aaah, bless.
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

My wife has no problems with my SW addiction/obsession/ hobby. Like some other peoples partners, she doesn't mind toy hunting. She even encourages me to buy stuff when I find it. I will pick something up and then ask "Do I really need this?" and she always replies, "You better get it now, you never know if you will see it again." So I end up getting it. She even buys stuff for me when she's out shopping. That's if I need it. If she doesn't know for sure if I want something, she'll call me on her cell and ask. Ain't she sweet?

I think she encourages me to buy stuff because she knows how cranky I can get when I don't get my SW fix.
    " I think I have the SITH sense...I see DARTH people!"

My soon-to-be-wife has a similar attitude to your Dahrjin.
    She'll always tell me to buy it now, because she doesn't wanna get gouged on e-bay.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

It's all my fiance's fault. That's what I tell her and others. Sure I loved Star Wars since the begging. I even got a job just to buy Star Wars stuff when it came back out in 95, but in the following couple of years the stuff just got to overwhelming for a high school kid with little money. I played baseball in high school and college and only worked a month or two out of the year. Luky for me Episode 1 stuff came out in the summer when I was working some, so I was able to get all of those. Still I have a 3 year gap in my collection that I thought I'd never finish.
    Once I was done playing baseball is when I meet my future wife. This was about the same time the Target Exclusive Y Wing came out. I saw a photo of one and thought it was cool. I didn't know how hard they'd be to get, but I asked her to keep an eye out for it. Since she lived just a couple of minutes away from a Target and the closest one to me was 30 miles away. Anyway she found one and that started my fire up again. See, if she didn't buy that Y Wing I would have never thought that I could complete my collection. That matched with her enthusiasim towards the hobby made her a great catch. Not to mention all the other great things about her and her charm and good looks.

Anyway, she's gotten me several great Star Wars related gifts. A riddle mini Boba Fett Helmet, a box of FF figures I needed, and SOTE Slave 1. She helps me find all kinds of stuff. She like going shopping with me and gets excited when I find new stuff. She just recently found the new Chewbacca for me. She right next to my father (who got my all but 5 of the vintage figures when I was a kid) has been the biggest help to my collection.

Thanks to her in two short years, I've gone from a decent but small collection to a complet collection. I've got every figure from 95-2000 and all but 3 vehicls. I also have all but 1 Vintage figure (missing Warok, but he's easy to get) and many fintage vehicles.

She is alright with everything I collect as long as I stick to just Star Wars 3 3/4 stuff and a few Starting Lineups and Sports Pics. She says as long as I stay away from the 12" stuff and all the other junk that says Star Wars she'll keep me . She's bluffing though, I could buy anything and she'd still keep me
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

The first thing I did with my girlfriend when she first came over to my apartment was to take her into my bedroom to show her something. She tells me now that she had quite a different expectation but was suprised when I proudly showed her my 12" Star Wars collection. That didn't scare her off and she's still quite supportive.

Often encouraging me to get certain figures/items and also gets me things from time to time. She doesn't quite understand it and is somewhat concerned where it will end up. Honestly I don't even know but hopefully we'll have a house someday were I can take over a room with my collecting. She just doesn't want to see this pasttime in the living room cluddering up shelves. I promise her (and I'd prefer) to put this stuff in its own room someday.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I hear you Exhaust Port, my girl is the same way. I mean with it cluttering up the living room and what not. I just wounder why it's alright for women to put up pretty picturs of places they've never been or paintings of stuff they don't have. Why is a painting of a flower in a pot better than a painting of an X Wing in space? Now I never wanted to decorate my home like's its some sort of Star Wars Applebees (even though that would be super cool!) Still, a few tasteful photos/paintings and or statuets would be very interesting and beautiful IMO. It's my home too, right?

Oh Well, I guess that's the life of men. We get the garage and maybe the basement and they get the rest of the house and get to pick what color it is
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Actually my girlfriend has decided to surrender the living room to me.

She says I spend all my time in there anyways so she decided to kick me and all my collection out of the room I'm in and take it over for herself.

Finally, room to expand!
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Yeah it's the same at my house. It's all good until I want to display something SW in the living room that is.

She has softened over the years and let's me display some stuff in the living room. She likes the new Unleashed line, she let me display Jango and an older Applause Vinyl Vader I have and there's a SW S.E. release poster hanging in the living room now. Little does she know, that most of my stuff is still packed from our recent move, and the little spare room just wont be big enough for it all. And that's not taking into account all the stuff I have stored at my folks house from way back when.

But like you all said, you have to have your own little room for your collection of SW stuff. It's just nice to go sit and look sometimes. Just wish it was bigger......arrrgh.
    " I think I have the SITH sense...I see DARTH people!"