Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do your significant others cope?

I don't know if there is/has been a thread posted on this, but oh well. I was wondering how my fellow SSGers' significant others cope with the hobby/addiction/obsession that rules most of our lives? As for myself, I am very lucky. My soon-to-be wife takes it all in stride. She is usually more than willing to go on my crazy figure hunting binges. She will even help me rifle through all of the cluttered pegs to find what I need. If she is shopping without me, she knows what I need and readily buys it for me. I have never heard a single complaint(at least not yet) from her. How about everyone else?
    Thanks to the too numerous to list traders here who have made my collection a bit more complete!!

"Are we ashamed of our own fate, or play the fool for our own sake?"

Yeah there was an old thread in the General Discussion, buried now, which is where this thread might get moved to.

Anyways, I don't care what my significant other thinks because they're so insignificant, they don't exist! I'm single.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I forget what it is like to be single.
    Thanks to the too numerous to list traders here who have made my collection a bit more complete!!

Better Living Through Star Wars

Jonboy, you are very lucky. I am surprised there have been no responses that directly address your question, but, give it time. You should marry your fiance right away, she sounds a good catch!

I have been very fortunate. When I met Mrs. JediCole she had seen the Star Wars films (only three at the time), but that was the extent of her knowledge of Star Wars. She had seen each one a single time. That was it.

And then it began. She discovered the facinating world of Star Wars merchandise. We had been married for quite a few years before she got to experience "the hunt" first hand. During the dreadful years of no new Star Wars toys, we contented ourselves with saving up to complete my collection. Yak Face was the only vintage figure I lacked, having been unaware of its existance for many, many years. And then she surprised me by secretly buying the A-Wing fighter for me. What a gal!

In more recent years she has had an active roll in both my personal collecting and our former hobby of selling as dealers at local toy shows over the last 14 years. In 2002 we became an official business and are working to grow that business to the point where it can support us both.

And she really does know her stuff when it comes to Star Wars! She is not one of these significant others who understands and/or tollerates the hobby. She also gets right into the middle of the action and can hold her own in Star Wars discussions with our good friends Sith Worm and DingoDad.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

JediCole, yes I am lucky, but it sounds like you may be even luckier. Also, good luck on your business and I hope that it works out for the both of you.

I happen to have a different take on my significant other.

My wife is an avid Barbie/Gene/Madame Alexander/Doll collector. She thinks nothing of filling up our home with dolls & doll related merchandise. Only in self defense did I actually start collecting Star Wars. If I did not stake out some part of the home as mine, I was fearful of one day waking up & finding that I now lived in a full sized Barbie model house !! It is to unthinkable to bear!!

Be thankful that your fiance enjoys Star Wars but beware of the Dark Lord of the Sith...Darth Barbie
    Come to the Dark Side of the Force.

My last girlfriend collected them. To protect myself, I told her that it was best to keep them in a box in the closet to keep them safe. She bought it!!!

My wife is really cool about it too. She saw my toy collection well before we got married so she knew what she was getting into. I always think she's going to start complaining when I buy things that are a bit more than average like 12 inch figures or the lightsabers but she never complains. I'm pretty lucky.

i have no significant other so there is no real problem. there have been times that i've brought a girl back to my place, and she's caught a glimse of my star wars room in my apartment. most times i get the "oh, you collect . . . . . uh . . . . toys . . he he". i know then that this is not going to be good in the long run. i'm still waiting for that special girl that goes, "oh! cool! star wars figures!!". i can dream . . . . . . . .
    Lok: Who are you?
    Oobie: I am Oobedoob Benubi. I have the silliest name in the galaxy.
    Lok: What's your middle name?
    Oobie: Scoobi-Doobi.
    Lok: Oobedoob Scoobi-Doobi Benubi?

Jonna
    Cope!?! All of my friends know that I am the way that I am and if they don't like it then they can go take a walk in the river. I don't try to change others and I expect them not to try to change me. My current girl knows this and when I do my thing, she goes off and does her thing. No hastle. No games. I don't get why people want to change one another to be more like themselves. I, if I ever found another me, personally would have to kill them. There can be only one Jonna!