Thread: Boil and Pop?

Boil and Pop?

Okay, I've never done any customs before - I'm usually afraid I'll ruin the figures and be left with some junk. However, I'm really wanting to try my hand and making some stuff (I'm working on a custom Handmaiden, not doing so well, but I'm trying) and I want to try to make some custom Gungan Warriors.
    Anyway, I have heard that a lot of customizers use the "Boil and Pop" method. Apparently, you literally boil your figures and pop the limbs out of the figures. But I wanted to ask the specifics: How long do you boil them for? Is there any specific type of pot you should use? Could you use a hair dryer to get the same effect? Will boiling damage the figure in anyway?
    If anyone can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

End....
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

The boil & pop method is about as simple as it says. Boil some water, a milkpan is good for this. I find that if you tie a piece of string around the figure you can dip it in the water easily. A figure only needs a minute or two, or until it becomes soft. Then just carefully pull out a limb or two. Then using a pair of long-nose pliers, place into hole and 'crack' the body open. You can then add whichever parts you need, head etc, and then superglue back together.

For a more on this subject and some guides on other custom styles check out www.ffurg.com , one of the best customising sites about.
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

Hey,

Thanks.
    That version is a little different than the one I heard, but cracking those peices might come in handy for some others that I'm doing.

Again, thanks.

End...
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

that sounds cool, jedi_uk73! i'll have to try that!
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

No problem guys. Always willing to help.
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

If anyone is interested, you can check out my custom Capt. Tarpals figure in the Saga section (for now).

My Riding Captain Tarpals...

End....
    Last edited by Lman316; 07-15-2002 at 08:25 PM.

My boil and pop:

Microwave water in a mug for a few minutes. Make sure it is covered with a paper towel. Remove when it is very hot.

Only soak the part(s) you want to pop for a few minutes. DO NOT INHALE THE VAPORS.

Pop!

Easy.
    You may know me as: Chuckles at joecustoms.com, Boshek at sirstevesguide.com and he-man.org and Eaglekiller at allspark.com.