Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm going home for Halloween, so I think I will have some glasses of curdled milk for any trick-or-treaters coming to my brother's house as Osama bin Laden.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Sorry Slayer, they clearly want to wear it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is sick and stupid, rather than somehow amusing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Referring to the hanging Arab display: I think it's a hate crime only if it is hung out in someone else's yard other than your own.

That is not to say it's not in bad taste and the people that live there may at the very least get toilet papered by offended Arabic-Americans, but they could be asking for much more trouble. I don't think if the sick bastards shoot some Arab who comes on to their property to cut it down, or vandalize, that they will get off lightly in court for 'defending their home against terrorism.' Their house would not be a target if not for hanging that Arab out there.

The same thing goes for an Anti-Semetic who hangs a "stuffed Rabbi" outside their home.

There are negative ways to show your support for your ideal American nationality, and positive ones. That's why we can hang US flags or banners respecting the police and firefighters who are working tirelessly to help the people of New York and Washington. A small Statue of Liberty is also appropriate. An eagle. A banner ad for cheap airline tickets. All these are acceptable ways of showing your support, solidarity, or desire to restimulate the economy and not give in to fear.

And kids need to express themselves and often don't understand adult sensitivities to dressing up like an enemy. That children are mocking them, should shed light on how our society feels about kids trick-or-treating as Arab terrorists or Bin Laden. Go lightly on that unless they're carrying real weapons. A little Sadam Hussein or even a 3 foot Adolf Hitler is sort of funny and mocks the 'funny looking man' it represents. There is better taste, but I have a sense of humor. Note that there was always a different feeling, a sort of heroic feeling you got as a kid when you dressed up as a police man or a fire-fighter. How about a US Army Ranger in mountain gear? That ought to be a hot costume this Halloween!
    Last edited by Tycho; 10-12-2001 at 12:38 PM.

I didn't know about the stuffed Rabbi thing but any wasy I think it's horrible that people are doing this. I htink they're lowering themselves to the level of the terrorists.

I was thinking about a "Bacta tank" Luke motif this year, but I feel I would be terribly misunderstood and beaten severely.

You know, it's really coincidental you started this post, JT, for the simple fact that my roommate just commented tonight that he wanted to dress up like Bin Laden this Halloween. I can't really say my first reaction was shock or anger...actually I think I kinda half laughed, and half did the "pfffffff" noise.....with my mouth.....you know...."pfffffff"?...forget it. ANYWAY, my immediate response (after the "pffffffff") was, "Don't forget the bullet hole in the forehead". He said, "Definately.....that would be classic". So, if he does decide to do it.....wouldn't a Shot-through-the-head Bin Laden costume be acceptable?

Would it be acceptable? Not in my opinion, but it would be slightly less unacceptable, I guess. I dunno, that sort of thing would feel to me like trivializing what was done.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by master jedi
    I didn't know about the stuffed Rabbi thing but any wasy I think it's horrible that people are doing this. I htink they're lowering themselves to the level of the terrorists.
    I AGREE
    http://www.geocities.com/madscientist2787

I don't see why they don't make Billy Ocean masks.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

And today's prize for Post Diggin' goes to El Chuxter! Congrats El Chuxter on the fine work.