Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spider-Man DVD News & Specs!!

Specs and a confirmed release date have just been released for the big summer hit, "Spider-Man". It's going to be a 2-disc set and will be available 11/1 in 3 editions, a regular widescreen, regular fullscreen, and a Special Widescreen Deluxe Collector's Gift Set. The Collector's Edition will contain a exclusive re-print of "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man made his world debut. No other news on what will be included in the Collector's Gift Set. I'll be likely getting that, after all I'm a sucker for Special Giftsets. After all, I am getting the LOTR's 5-disc set with statues. Well, without further ado, here are the specs, from DVDReview.com:

Official word has come in from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment on the highly anticipated Spider-Man which is still turning a respectable profit at the theaters. The web slinger will come to DVD at the beginning of November with three separate releases.

Spider-Man centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."

And with great responsibility comes great DVDs. Columbia TriStar is releasing the film with three releases aimed at three different audiences. But don't worry, the features remain the same across the board, so no one will have to buy multiple copies.

Two versions of the DVD will be made with either an anamorphic widescreen transfer or a fullscreen transfer. A Deluxe Collector's Gift Set will include the widescreen version of the film as well as some extra goodies including a comic book reprint of "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man made his world debut.

The remaining features on all three versions remain the same including Dolby Digital 5.1 in English and French, subtitled factoids, two audio commentaries, the first with director Sam Raimi, producers Laura Ziskin and Grant Curtis and actress Kirsten Dunst, the second with special effects designer John Dykstra and the visual effects crew, plus branching web-i-sodes, theatrical trailers, TV Spots, filmographies, character files,the music videos "Hero" and "What We're All About" and some extensive DVD-ROM content including a comic to feature comparison, commentary recorder and the Countdown to Spider-Man 2. And that's just disc one.

Disc two contains the HBO Making of Spider-Man featurette, the E! Channel special "Spider-Mania", profiles on Sam Raimi and composer Danny Elfman, screen tests for actors Tobey Maguire and J.K. Simmons plus the CGI Spider-Man costume and makeup tests, a gag/outtake reel, a conceptual art and production design gallery, the historical documentary - Spider-Man: The Mythology of the 21st Century, a Spider-Man comic book archives, a rogues gallery, The Loves of Peter Parker, a comic book artist pin-up gallery and hints and tips for the Activision game, which will help users with the playable DVD-ROM demo of the game for PC. Other ROM content includes three exclusive Marvel dot.comics and a Spider-Man: Visualizer.

All those features should keep the average web-head busy until the sequel pops up in theatres in a year or two. The discs will surface in stores on November 1st.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Kirsten Dunst Commentary track? "Oh now we're in this scene where that one thing happens, oh so that's what happened in that scene!!! Ok now here's the most important scene in the whole movie where me and Tobey kiss and you can see through my blouse!"

I think I'll get the deluxe set, sounds pretty good. Any idea what the cost differences will be?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

No news on the prices yet LTBasker. I am going to assume probably 20-25 MSRP for the 2 regular editions, and maybe 40 or so for the Deluxe Gift Set. I'll keep my eye out for the actual prices.

Oh, here is a little more info on the Special Collector's Deluxe Gift Set from HomeTheaterForum.com. I'll also be posting images of the covers for both the Widescreen and Fullscreen versions.

Also available day and date will be a specially-packaged limited-edition Collector's DVD Gift Set featuring the widescreen special edition Spider-Man DVD and loaded with extras including a reprint of Marvel Comic's "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man was created; an exclusive collectible drawing by former Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr. and current Spider-Man artist John Romita, Jr.; a collectible numbered film cel from the movie; and more.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 07-15-2002 at 02:13 PM.

Spider-Man Widescreen DVD Case:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	widescreen spider-man dvd case.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	2868  

Spider-Man Fullscreen (Pan & Scan) DVD Case:

Name:	fullscreen spider-man dvd case.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	2871  

Deluxe set for me, but is there any word on wether the Region 2 version is the same as Region 1 cause I hate it when they're different!!!

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I knew they wouldn't do it, but I would still love to have seen them put the WTC teaser trailer on there. It's such a great commercial for the film.

But, obviously, this wasn't going to happen.

Overall sounds like a nice set. I hope in his commentary, Raimi goes a bit into what changes were made after Sept 11th.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Originally posted by pthfnder89
    I knew they wouldn't do it, but I would still love to have seen them put the WTC teaser trailer on there. It's such a great commercial for the film.

But, obviously, this wasn't going to happen.

Overall sounds like a nice set. I hope in his commentary, Raimi goes a bit into what changes were made after Sept 11th.
    It's possible that it will be included. It was released back in March, in Movie FX Magazine #4 (A FX mag on DVD). The DVD is actually a whole magazine on a DVD. If it was allowed to be included on that, I don't see any reason to keep it off the actual movie DVD. If you want to order the copy that has the trailer on it, I will include a link to Movie FX Magazine order page. I downloaded my copy from online, and have to say that it is actually nice to see the twin towers still standing in the trailer.

http://www.moviefxmag.com/order.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 07-15-2002 at 05:11 PM.

Here's the back of the DVD case. Note that they are exactly the same for both the Widescreen and Fullscreen releases. Why did they have to go and put the kissing scene between Spidey and Mary Jane on the back of the case, ugh.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Name:	spider-man dvd case back.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	2918  

Man, that Deluxe DVD gift set is going to rip up this holiday season! What I don't get is why the widescreen box cover is the boring "crawler" pic we've seen a billion times this summer but the pan&scan is the cool "webswinging" pic. Don't encourage the philistines and their pan&scan ways Columbia Tristar, give them the boring box art!!!

I heard that the actual film didn't focus on the WTC at all and thus didn't need to be altered one iota.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.