Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What's the deal with Movies comeing out on DVD/VHS so soon?

Has anyone noticed that a lot of movies are comeing out on DVD/VHS very fast? The news on the main page lists almost all of this years "Summer Blockbusters" comeing out on DVD befor the holidays. Sure, I understand that they want to cash in on the gift giveing season, but why now. Why wasn't this practiced years ago when DVD's boomed and even longer ago when VHS boomed. We had to wait for more than a year to get TPM on VHS and even longer on DVD. Now with AOTC we'll only have to wait 4 months.

Jar Jar, I'm sure you'll be all over this one

Thanks all.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

It's just the nature of the beast. Especially with the bootleg market now adays. If they were to wait as long as they used to, they would loose massive sales to bootleggers. It's a sad fact today, that with the proliferation of the internet, and the ease of access to bootlegs, or the ability to download them off the net. It not only hurts DVD sales, but also box office receipts.

This is the only way that studios can compete, and it's really slitting their own throat also. If a movie comes on DVD fast, it means that less people are going to take the time to see it in the theater. That's why you'll never see somthing like Titanic in Box Office reciepts again. Just look at all the people that posted here, about have a download, or bootleg of Episode 2 before or just after it came out.

The fastest turn around so far has been Resident Evil. It opened in March, and the DVD release is in July. That's about 4 months. Star Wars comes out November 26th, so that is about 6 months. Reign of Fire has a November 13th release date already, and it just opened at the theater. Lilo & Stitch, Disney's summer blockbuster, is due out in December. Typically Disney releases their Summer BlockBusters in Febuary.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 07-15-2002 at 04:22 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Only 2 years ago TPM was released 11 months after it's cinema release, I can remember when Jurrassic Park was released in summer 1993 we had to wait untill Xmas time 1994 for the video, times are changing!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
    Only 2 years ago TPM was released 11 months after it's cinema release, I can remember when Jurrassic Park was released in summer 1993 we had to wait untill Xmas time 1994 for the video, times are changing!
    Not always. It didn't just change now that DVD is here either; in the 5-6 years before DVD, movies were being released on VHS more and more quickly every year. One problem was that a movies release was dictated by the studio and/or filmmaker. Which basically meant that they would release it when they darn well pleased and when they could make the most money off of it.

Nowadays, the same is still true obviously, but as JarJAr pointed out, digital bootlegging is seriously freaking out the Hollywood execs, and thus, they are in a hurry to get legitimate copies out to the consumer much more rapidly.

Also, the studios used to have a much different agreement with the video rental stores. The old structure was something like this:

-the movie would be released on VHS at a price of $99 or so
    -this was because rental stores were the primary customer, so they buy a couple copies at this price and make the money back from the rentals, then
    - after it's been available to rent for around 8-12 months, the studio drops the price to $15-$25 and retail stores begin to carry it for purchase buy the average consumer

But then Bloackbuster comes along, and runs nearly every other rental company out of buisness, which is fine with the studios except that Blockbuster overextends itself and goes bankrupt. In order to dig themselves out, they create a new structure with the studios like this:
    -the studios give Blockbuster practically unlimited copies of the tapes and DVDs for free
    -and for EACH RENTAL, the studio gets a percentage

That's why all of a sudden Blockbuster starts the whole "If we don't have it in stock, it's free" campiagn. They can afford to do that because they get the tapes for nothing.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Not only all of the above info, but the technology has changed. Its easier now to sned movies to a DVD format. Expecially AOTC, since it was an all digital format to begin with. Not only that, but the promoters for these movies fell that they can make more off thew movie if it is released not too long after it gets out of the theater. Since it is still fresh in most ppls minds 6 months from now, it should make more .

The thing I do not understand is what in the heck is taking Monsters, Inc and Ice age soooooo long to get to DVD. Monsters, Inc has been out of the theaters now for what, 18 months???? What's the hold up?!?!?!?
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

Hafta disagree with you Jar Jar when it comes to receipts being seriously affected by downloading, at least at this point. I had no intention of seeing a compressed small screen AOTC. Got to see it on the big screen, and I think I'm not alone of this- the experience in the theater is just a major part of the whole thing. Going to the movies is a social thing. Teenagers drive the market because for kids going to the movies is on a very short list of things to go out and do.

I do, however, agree that piracy drives the product to VHS/DVD formats faster.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Originally posted by Dar' Argol
    The thing I do not understand is what in the heck is taking Monsters, Inc and Ice age soooooo long to get to DVD. Monsters, Inc has been out of the theaters now for what, 18 months???? What's the hold up?!?!?!?
    Monsters, Inc. originally opened in theaters October 28th 2001. The DVD release is coming on October 17th. So it's a little less than a year for it to be released. They wanted it as a holiday release on DVD, but since the film release was so delayed, they choose to wait and release it this year. The DVD release of Ice Age is November 26th, the same day as Star Wars. Here are specs for both:

Monsters, Inc.:
    The definitive 2-disc Monsters, Inc. will SRP for $29.99, and will include...

Disc One - the fullscreen Version of the Film (1.33:1) specially reframed for standard TVs, a Widescreen Version of the Film (1.85:1) enhanced for 16x9 televisions (original theatrical aspect ratio), Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX, a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX sound effects only track, THX-certified with THX Optimizer, audio commentary by the filmmakers (Director Pete Docter, Co-Director Lee Unkrich, Executive Producer John Lasseter and Executive Producer and Screenwriter Andrew Stanton)

Disc Two - (divided into two worlds: The Monster World and The Human World), outtakes (including Company Play), a performance of Put That Thing Back Where it Came from or So Help Me (written, choreographed, produced, directed and catered by Mike Wazowski), For the Birds (the 2001 Oscar-nominated Pixar animated short film, the music featurette If I Didn't Have You (performed by Billy Crystal and John Goodman) and an exclusive sneak peek of Finding Nemo (Disney/Pixar's new upcoming feature)

Ice Age:
    The other upcoming title is Fox's Ice Age: Special Edition (11/26 - SRP $29.98). This 2-disc set will include both anamorphic widescreen and full frame video, along with audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Among the extras will be audio commentary by the directors, The Making of Ice Age documentary, the HBO First Look special, "Sid on Sid Silhouette" on scenes, 6 deleted scenes with director's audio commentary, a multi-angle animation progression, Scrat interstitials, the Sid character development featurette, the Blue Sky featurette, the Bunny animated short, a design artwork gallery, 3 set-top games, 2 DVD-ROM games, DVD-ROM "printables" of characters and more, international clips, trailers, TV spots and Easter eggs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Originally posted by JON9000
    Hafta disagree with you Jar Jar when it comes to receipts being seriously affected by downloading, at least at this point. I had no intention of seeing a compressed small screen AOTC. Got to see it on the big screen, and I think I'm not alone of this- the experience in the theater is just a major part of the whole thing. Going to the movies is a social thing. Teenagers drive the market because for kids going to the movies is on a very short list of things to go out and do. I do, however, agree that piracy drives the product to VHS/DVD formats faster.
    Your forgetting though, that those big box office takes, come from people that see a movie multiple times. Back when the Star Wars films originally came out and somewhat with Episode 1, if you wanted to see the movie again, you had to actually pay the money and go see it again. Finding a decent bootleg for a cheap price for E1 was still tough. It also wasn't as easily found for download online, as Episode II is. So yes, people do still see them in theaters, but the bootleg issue does affect ticket sales, because you don't get the repeat veiwings that you used to, back before bootlegs and downloads became so commen.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I used to just assume that a quick DVD/VHS release was something the studios did to help recuperate from a dismal or disappointing box office performance. I guess the market is changing enough that that no longer holds true. Which is good for people like me, if I didn't know that Ep2 was going to be released on DVD by the end of this year, I would have made it a point to see it a few more times when it was playing in the local theater here. (I watched it three times, I saw Ep1 eleven times since I expected the wait for the VHS to be a few years).
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The studios also know that when a film is fresh in the minds of the consumers, they will most likely buy the film... especially if it was good or generated good buzz.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**