Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter?

Question Harry Potter?

I admit it, I do like Harry Potter. The movie was very cool and I'm up to the last chapter of the first book and it's also very good. Still, it has very little apeal in the collectables market. I remember when the first movie came out and there was talk that it would over take Star Wars for all time movie sales. People said it would be even more popular than Star Wars. Ofcorse, now that's sounds just plain silly, but why? It's a great story (very similar to the path that Luke Skywalker took), and millions of kids all over the world can't get enough of the books. Kids line up outside of book stores the night befor the book comes out (very similar to Star Wars back in the day and even today). So, why doesn't anyone care about it now? The next movie comes out Nov 15 (the same day as AOTC comes out on DVD). Still there is little talk of it and certainly no "buzz". I can't find any info on the net about the toys, not even on Mattels site wich is very good. Very little info at all considering how popular it is all over the world.

I don't know if anyone can help, but some ideas may help shed some light on this subject .
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

I quite enjoyed the books and the movie myself, it's definatly not just for kids. The books keep getting longer and darker also, the last one "The Goblet of Fire" clocks in at 700+ pages. They are saying that they will have to do a 2-part movie, just to remain faithful to the novel. Oh, and E2 comes on DVD November 26th.

You don't hear to much about the figures, because they were really not that great. Mattel released extremly rare figures, making it almost impossible for kids and fans to complete their collection without paying a ton. Plus the line had some serious quality control problems.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Being that I work in the book industry, I did read all of the books (#5 due out soon) and yes they were pretty good, however, I must note that J.K. Rowling is not unique in her writings...many a detail in her books have come from "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (published in 1974 and written by none other than Julie Andrews Edwards or for those who don't know...Mary Poppins) including the name Potter which is the last name of the main characters in this book. She has also "taken" from other various older children's books as well, so, like Bill Gates whom did NOT create DOS but bought it for only 50 grand, I will use windows and read harry potter simply because it works and they are good books but in the back of mind is always that these people are definitely NOT the true creators of such wonderful products.

PEACE OUT!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I've read the comparisons between the 2 books, and while their are some similaritys, she is by no means stealing ideas from that book. Potter is not a uncommen last name, and neither is Tom a rare first name. Besides, there is only so much originality that can exist in not only the book area, but also the movie area. There is no such thing as originality anymore, it's all been pretty much done. It can't be helped if you write a book or make a movie, and there are similarities.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    I've read the comparisons between the 2 books, and while their are some similaritys, she is by no means stealing ideas from that book. Potter is not a uncommen last name, and neither is Tom a rare first name. Besides, there is only so much originality that can exist in not only the book area, but also the movie area. There is no such thing as originality anymore, it's all been pretty much done. It can't be helped if you write a book or make a movie, and there are similarities.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    That is YOUR opinion, however, I do work in the industry and there are many tid bits of info that we hear/see/know which average Joe Public does not.

PEACE OUT!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Harry Potter is the most over hyped piece of crap I have ever seen. Even if I was a child I would hate it. My first HP experiance came when I was given book 3 for my 14th birthday, you can imagine how over the moon I was! One afternoon when there was nothing on TV, I wa soo desparate for something to do that I started to read it, and was very dissapointed. To me it's just a stereotypical childrens fairytale, with silly names and stupid scenarios, te only reason that adults "Claim" to like it is because it's got children reading again. The film was just as dissapointing, more silly names and obscure storys with cheap effects and crap acting.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Precisely, which is why Rowling comes under so much fire for the books. It's difficult to understand why her books have succeded so fantastically while other similar books have failed, and that leads some of the authors of those books to lash out at her, backed by the sort of people who believe that someone that rich MUST have done something wrong to get there.

Aside from the known supposedly "borrowed" material, there is a comic book called The Books of Magic, originally created by Sandman author Neil Gaiman. The early volumes featured the main character Tim Hunter, who was drawn EXACTLY like Harry Potter; a smallish 12year old british boy with jet black hair and glasses who finds out he can use magic.

Now taken by itself this seems like a bizarre and obvious theft. But even Gaiman has repeatedly said that there's no reason to believe Potter was based on this character, particularly since Rowling herself isn't known to read comic books (and how many single, middleaged working mothers do?). It's a coincedence plain and simply and in my opinion a MUCH better case could be built from this example than any of the others levied against Rowling. but the reason few people have heard of this is because Gaiman is a levelheaded man and not petty enough to begrudge Rowling and her success.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Not too many people will argue the fact that the Harry Potter books are based on ideas that have been seen elsewhere. All you have to do is read a little, get a few comics here and there, play a little D and D, and you've seen it all before. Rowling works well because of her character treatment, her pacing, and her sense of humour. The books read very well, for young and old alike. That's why they're so popular. With any luck they'll open the realm of fantasy to a younger generation whose parents won't buy them comics because of price, and won't let them play D and D because of the negative press it received in the late 80's. Videogames and movies are great, but they don't offer the same room for imaginative input and interpretation as reading.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Jonna
    Originally posted by jjreason
    Not too many people will argue the fact that the Harry Potter books are based on ideas that have been seen elsewhere.
    Of course! Can you even remember that last time that someone had an original idea? Music, movies, religion; it's the same rehashed cr@p everywhere. Now, I am not really saying anything about that Harry Potter movie. Saw it, was (barely) able to sit through it, maybe if I was 2 I would have liked it better, but I am talking about everything these day. People always think, "Gee Wally, that was great. I haven't seen that before". But you have and you just don't realize it because our brains have turned to mush in this society. We no longer question anything; we just follow the herd.

Now I know you are thinking about all those bumper stickers that say things like "Question Truth" and "Question Reality"; that we are all our own little individual person, but we are not and we are to blind to even see it. I have met one person, out of tens of thousands in my life, who ever even began to Question Reality. People need to WAKE UP and start actually thinking about things outside of themselves.

Sorry for this rant! It is not directed any any particular person. I just went off for a bit. I just hope that there is someone who really knows what I am talking about out there.

Basically the popularity came from the books. So when book 5 comes out, expect the Harry Potter buzz to highten again.
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!