Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!

Why Didn't Luke Use The Force When...?

Why didn't Luke use the Force to close the door on the Rancor...but instead he threw a stone at the switch to close the door on the Rancor?

My Interpretation: is that he was trying not to play his trump card too soon on Jabba. Although he claimed to be a Jedi Knight...he never actually proved it in his actions until the Sarlaac Pitt. He must have foreseen the incidents up to and after the Sarlaac Pitt before he sent 3P0 and R2D2 to Jabba's palace.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

Perhaps he did use the force.
    Perhaps he used it to guide his aim so that he wouldn't miss.

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck" - Ben Kenobi, ANH
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Yea he used the force the guide that skull across the pit to push the button to close the door. We do not know enough about the force to understand what it can and cannot do. We assume it can do anything but that is probally not the case. Sure Aniken who has the highest midi count ever may be able to do some amazing things, but Luke who certainly doesn't have as much as Aniken would not be able to do the same things as his father.

Still it's all relative and the fact remains that we just don't know enough about the force to say what he should or should not have done.

I do not think him shutting the door by use of the force would have been his trump card . You are right though, he hadn't prooved himself or his skills up until that point. He knew he could do such things, but never used them in a life or death situation. At least as far as we know
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

I do recall that Darth Maul used the force to throw something to open the door in the duel with Qui-gon and Obi-wan. Perhaps it takes more concentration to press a small button than to just smash it with an object.

Perhaps they have trouble with electronic items.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Originally posted by icatch9
    but Luke who certainly doesn't have as much as Aniken would not be able to do the same things as his father.
    Wasn't it still pretty damn high though?

He probably (as others said) "guided" the rock/skull/whatever with the force but he was under too much pressure (you know from trying not to DIE) and probably couldn't concentrate enough to use the force to close the door.
    "Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things." - Silent Bob, Mallrats

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." - Ben Kenobi

Game discussion, all the time any time.www.videogametheater.com/forum

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Originally posted by robman71
    I do recall that Darth Maul used the force to throw something to open the door in the duel with Qui-gon and Obi-wan. Perhaps it takes more concentration to press a small button than to just smash it with an object.
    Yes...exactly my point... and by the looks of things I don't believe that the switch was that far from him either. Also...remember in ESB when Luke falls into the carbon freeze chamber...Vader says: "All too easy!" and force pulls the control to activate the freezing process. Later on in ROTJ when Luke confronts Vader in the landing platform on Endor...Vader triggers the elevator door when he says: "The Emperor will show you the TRUE nature of the force...He is your master now!"

So the fact that Luke could have used the force but didn't shows that he may have wanted to appear to be a Jedi...but not wanting to prove it until he absolutely had to. I dunno...just something that I've always wondered about that scene.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

So the fact that Luke could have used the force but didn't shows that he may have wanted to appear to be a Jedi...but not wanting to prove it until he absolutely had to. I dunno...just something that I've always wondered about that scene.
    Luke already showed his powers when he entered Jabba's palace and forced Bib Fortuna to take him to Jabba. Even Jabba told Bib that Luke was using his Jedi powers.
    As always...........L

Originally posted by Lobito

Luke already showed his powers when he entered Jabba's palace and forced Bib Fortuna to take him to Jabba. Even Jabba told Bib that Luke was using his Jedi powers.
    Doesn't he force push or choke a couple Pig guys out of his way during his entrance too? Thought I'd add that.
    "Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things." - Silent Bob, Mallrats

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." - Ben Kenobi

Game discussion, all the time any time.www.videogametheater.com/forum

And, he also uses the force to take that blaster out of somebody's holster, right before he falls into the Rancor pit.
    "Asteroids do not concern me, Lucas. I want those DVD's, not excuses."