Hybrid View

"A" list actors and straight to video movies

i've always understood why movies starring people like charlie sheen, luke perry or carmen electra go straight to video, but i've never understood how this has happened to "A" list stars like gene hackman, winona ryder, morgan freeman and sigourney weaver, to name a few.

do the studios just lose complete faith that the film will make any money at the box office? i don't think there is any way one of these actors would set out to make a straight to video film.

i recall a while back seeing previews for the winona ryder film "boys" that was supposed to open the same day as "twister".
    well, being the big winona fan i am, i was there, but the movie wasn't. despite all the advertising, the film never made it to theatres, and eventually found it's way to home video. the movie wasn't very good, but the quality of a film hasn't stopped hollywood from releasing them in theatres.

help me jar jar binks, you're my only hope.
    Last edited by derek; 07-17-2002 at 09:21 PM.

It's not always really clear why stuff like this happens. Sometimes the actors will take a pay cut just to do a film that intrests them, even if it's a direct to video film. Other times, it's just a case of the test screening being a horrible bomb, and releasing the film in theaters would cost more then the money the movie would earn.

Sometimes it's also a case that the actor really isn't as hot as they once were, and they take these parts, just to pay the bills. Especially after stinker films like Alien 4 (Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder), for instance. Or their agent says the film will really help their career, even though the part is small.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: "A" list actors and straight to video movies

Another good example is Detox starring Slyvester Stallone. I remember hearing about it in production and then next time I heard anything about it, it was straight to video under a different title, Eye See You. That was a new experience, the first time I heard anything about the film was when I saw it on the Target discount DVD rack.

Re: "A" list actors and straight to video movies

Sam Jackson seems to have had quite a few direct to video flicks too.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!