Thread: Godfather III

Unhappy Godfather III

There isn't really any place to put this, so I stuck it here in the GenDiscuss Section. I recently purchased the Godfather Epic on DVD and was watching the films. I haven't seen the third one since it came out twelve years ago, so I popped it in and there in the beginning of the film was an establishing shot of New York skyline complete with Twin Towers. It was a beautiful sight. I just paused the player and looked at it for a moment. It got me thinking about the future. Every film maker from now on will not be able to have those majestic towers in his or her NYC establishing shot and the last filmmakers who did...like Zoolander and Serendipity...unwisely decided to remove them from their movies. I think that's a shame. No one else will ever get that choice, but they did and decided to remove them.

Anyway, the towers at the beginning of GF3 caught me off guard and I was happy to see them again. That is all.

I know what u mean...as time moves on, there will always be that part that will remind us what happened that day...trully sad.
    As always...........L

You know, there were movies made in New York before the Twin Towers were built, and while the events of Sept 11th are tragic, these buildings were considered an eyesore when they were built. Think of it this way, Raul Julia's last film was "Street Fighter", not what we'd call his finest work, so would you really want "Zoolander" to be the final film appearance of the Twin Towers?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey, Zoolander sucked. But my point is the next guy to shoot a film there doesn't get the choice. Ben Stiller and co. did and I think they made a knee jerk reaction. 5, 10, 20 years from now, they are going to think "maybe we should have left them in..."

Ugh...and did you have to bring up Streetfighter?? What did I do to you? Really...

Raul Julia ended with Street Fighter, but Orson Welles started with Citizen Kane and ended up in The Transformers: The Movie. Nothing against TF:TM, but that's a notable step down.

Last night on an ABC special, they showed a pic of the NYC skyline a few months ago, then faded into the skyline today. It was a powerful image.

Think about this: anyone making a film from now on that takes place prior to last month will have to add those buildings by computer. And probably be told how evil and tasteless they are for doing so.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

If I was Orson Welles I'd be damned proud to have both Citizen Kane and Transformers on my resume!

Here's another thing I was thinking about. How long before the movie gets made? Thinking about historical tragedies like Titanic, Pearl Harbor, D-Day etc. How long was it between the Tragic events and the first film adaptation?

I expect the first movie by the end of the year, it'll probably be on Fox.

Chux, I was just going to suggest the same thing, that if someone wants to make a movie with the WTC in it, they can add it digitally. Look at Coruscant in Ep 1, if they can do that, they can certainly add the towers back in. If used right, I'm sure many folks will still kvetch about the use, but most folks will call them crackpots.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I read somewhere that Oliver Stone had decided to do one of his epics about terrorism, detailing a plot from all POVs. I doubt it would be specifically about what happened in real life, though.

I don't think a movie within the next couple of months that mentions it, or even has it taking place in the background would be in poor taste. But a film entirely about this, that should wait at least a decade or so.
    Tommy, close your eyes.