Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Why the Droid Ship raid was cut? (Officially answered.)

This comes from www.starwars.com

Ben Burtt, editor, sound designer answers.

Why was Plo Koon and Ki-Adi-Mundi's commando raid on the Droid Control Ship cut from the final edit of Attack of the Clones?

The attack on the Droid Control Ship was filmed and edited together, but never completed with final special effects. A Jedi attack force battled its way up the ship's ramp, through doorways, down halls, and into the bridge of the ship. The scene was filled with much swordplay and stunts.

The sequence was dropped from the cut because it added another story to be intercut with what already was becoming too complicated and time consuming for the climax of the movie. Including the sequence also meant time needed to set it up and resolve it while the arena battle and the Clone War land battle proceeded simultaneously.

There was lots and lots of material in each one of these sequences that needed to be trimmed. There was lots of Jedi action in the arena fight dropped, more Jango and Mace, and even at one point a battle in space with the Droid Control Ships.

All of these would have been great to see, but choices have to be made for the priorities of the storyline.

Too bad he doesn't mention anything about the DVD cut scenes.

Well, the fact that the scenes were actually filmed, and that it is a long scene means that there is very good chance that we may see some or all of it on the DVD. I don't blame them for cutting it, it would have been a cool scene...but cutting away from the battle in the arena would have hurt the tension that was created in the fight between the Jedi's and the Droid army.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Theres a waste of money there.

Instead we gotta get stuck with 3PO's hanging around the droid factory after R2 "mysteriously" pushes him off the ledge.

I would've rather seen Plo and Ki-Adi cuttin up some Pilot Droids than a toon 3PO. Somehow it just would've been more entertaining...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

As long as it's on the DVD it's cool.

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Theres a waste of money there.

Instead we gotta get stuck with 3PO's hanging around the droid factory after R2 "mysteriously" pushes him off the ledge.

I would've rather seen Plo and Ki-Adi cuttin up some Pilot Droids than a toon 3PO. Somehow it just would've been more entertaining...
    LTBasker, it's not a waste of money. It's a very commen practice in the movie industry. Subplots get dropped for time and cleaning up the narrative, all the time. Take a look at the uncut versions of ALIENS and The Abyss for example.

Sometimes the cuts are good, and frankly I have to agree with George on this cut. It they would have been cutting back and forth from the arena battle for this droid control ship and space battle, the tension in the arena would have been lost. It's supposed to be a hopeless situation, if there is a chance that the Jedi can shut down the droid control ship, it takes away from the gravity of the situation.

I would like to see them add a little more of the arena fight back into the film, especially more between Mace and Jango. Maybe the head chopping scene won't seem so sudden, and it will more clear that Jango's backpack was damaged. I still liked the movie, and I really don't mind the whole C-3PO in the droid factory scene. Besides, the dropping of the Droid Control Ships scenes came after, so it wouldn't have spared you from that scene.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

LTBasker, it's not a waste of money. It's a very commen practice in the movie industry. Subplots get dropped for time and cleaning up the narrative, all the time. Take a look at the uncut versions of ALIENS and The Abyss for example.
    I know that usually happens, but the money could've been spent fixing up alot of the CGI that seemed to fail, like the 3PO scene.

As for the Ki-Adi and Plo scenes, they could have been happening as Mace was making his way to the balcony. Not the full length of course, but maybe showing them in the hall after showing Mace approaching the balcony, then showed them fighting in the Control ship. The whole thing could've been a false sense of security type of thing, where the Jedi are all ready to fight thinking that the droids are about to come out but they don't then Ki-Adi and Plo ignite their sabers in the Arena, of course then the Jedi get suprised from blasters inside the Arena catacombs, in which the droids start to appear.

*shrugs*
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I agree with LTBasker that putting in all the crap with Toon '3PO was a waste. There's at least three good minutes to that ignorant scene that could have been spent on more glorious combat!

I'm getting the impression that you'd prefer if the whole movie was nothing but a lightsaber duel.

Woo, that makes for an exciting movie.

Who needs a plot when you can have guys chopping up stuff with lightsabers for 2 hours.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

i don't wish the whole film to be a saber duel, but i do wish it had been edited together a little better. the obi-wan/dooku duel was a horrible edit, and anakin/dooku was filmed terribly.

and cutting away from that duel to watch padme spring to life in the sand was plain lame, and it took away from the intensity ofthe saber duel.

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Originally posted by derek
    i don't wish the whole film to be a saber duel, but i do wish it had been edited together a little better. the obi-wan/dooku duel was a horrible edit, and anakin/dooku was filmed terribly.

and cutting away from that duel to watch padme spring to life in the sand was plain lame, and it took away from the intensity ofthe saber duel.
    I too love the saber duels and wish that Obi-Wan Kenobi's duel with Dooku could have lasted longer. It would have been neat to see Dooku defend against Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time. The only real thing that bugged me about the whole hangar duel was how Anakin and Obi-Wan looked like they were sleeping after Dooku had his way with them! I was also waiting for a really big scream from Anakin when he lost his arm too!
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"