Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Overall Thoughts on TPM

Hey everyone... this is actually my first time here. I kept wanting to come here and read what you all have to say but it just kept slipping my mind. Anywho...

My co-workers and I were having a discussion about the Phantom Menace the other day and we seemed to have some varying opinions about it. I personally thought it was good, but it could have been better. I don't really know how it could have been better... outside of eliminating Jake Lloyd and Jar-Jar. But my main thought was... it seemed like Lucas was trying to appeal to the younger generation as opposed to those who "actually" grew up with Star Wars Trilogy. This made no sense to me at all. What Lucas doesn't realize is that the following he got with IV, V and VI are a little older now. Sure kids today know about Star Wars and have probably seen all of them over and over again. But I don't think they can appreciate it they way we do. Maybe I am just rambling on about nothing... but does anyone feel he tried to please the wrong crowd?

To finish... I will cite an example from the film. --- The scene where Anakin is fine-tuning his Podracer... he has all of his friends come running around him. (Poor acting here by the way)
    And in this scene Jar Jar gets his tongue stuck in the binders. The thing that sticks out most in my mind is the children laughing in the theater.

Let me know what you think.

Talking thoughts...? SURE!

My overall thoughts on the film...

It was a very entertaining opening chapter to a marvelous saga. I am sad that it was surrounded by so much hype that people were disappointed. I believe that, had this been any other film, such things that had disappointed people would have been overlooked. No, it isn't the finest jewel in the crown, but I will gladly take this over most of the other dreck that has come out over the 16 years that passed between ROTJ and TPM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I agree with JediPartner, just because this film was labeled Star Wars it was held to a level of scrutiny that no movie should be. GL is mostly concerned about telling a cohensive story, he could care less about appeasing the fans. Which if EU is any indication, 'appeassing the fans' is a very bad idea.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Worst Star Wars movie yet! However, it's still in my all-time top ten.

I don't think Jar Jar needed to be eliminated, but he should've been toned down or used less often. C-3PO is a much funnier character, but he's in only one funny scene here.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think it's one of the greatest movies of all time. I think Lucas should have spent more time with the actors though.

I also think It was a great addition to the SW Saga, and now that I've been able to soak it in, personally I can't tell you that one SW film is better than the other! Because I've always looked at it as one big story, and each part has equally valuable qualites that lend to the overall greatness of the saga! As well as each part/movie having it's lesser qualities too, but still lend to the overall greatness of the saga!
    As far as addressing the younger crowd, I urge you to wait for the other movies to come out! Because if you think about it ANH was more of the kids movie, and then ESB was more for adults and then ROTJ blended both!
    Nowadays I think people forget that, and revere the original trilogy as a whole, but then haven't been able to see TPM as a part of that whole, so they judge it as a stand alone against the original trilogy! And alot of the bad feelings or dislike of TPM is born out of that! Go figure!
    Peace and MTFBWY...Always! The 'Xir

welcome here, white-bread! youll have fun here!

i agree with mater jedi. he hardley talked to the actors unless it was important...

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I liked El Chuxter's impression of the Comic Guy on Simpsons

"Worst Star Wars movie. Ever."

So, when saddled with the choice of Phantom Menace or Battle Beyond the Stars. I'd go with the former.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

When you say it was 'the worst star wars movie ever' do you mean that you thought the others suck too? It sounds like it to me.

Thumbs up

I thought it was a great movie
    really enjoyed it . I liked the hype since this was my first SW movie excluding the SE's in my lifetime i wasnt born during ANH was out but I really like jar jar didnt bug me at all
    and this really bugs me about people dissing Jake Llloyd I think he was only 8 or 9 when the movie was filmed. I would like to see any other 8 or 9 year old act when at that age better than Jake