Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think itīs pretty crowded over there. The only forums I visit frequently are this one and the BHC Forums, I only check the SW.com when I have some spare time and there isnīt anything interesting on TV.

Its hard to keep tracks of some thread there since there seems to be a lot of activity. They also need Icons and stuff like that. Does anyone know how many Moderators are they? I think theyīll need twice as much to keep track of all that crowd.

Overall, Iīd give those Forums a 6.
    "Marge! Is there another Man in the house!? A [COLOR=darkblue]Radioactive[/COLOR] Man!?"

Originally posted by Sliver FBI
    I think itīs pretty crowded over there. The only forums I visit frequently are this one and the BHC Forums, I only check the SW.com when I have some spare time and there isnīt anything interesting on TV.
    Hey Sliver FBI, I take it your Darth Sliver over at BHC?
    GNT ™
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

The only features at the SW.Com message boards are bold, Italic, and underline. There isn't even an edit feature.

Thumbs down Definitely not as good as SSG

I predict that the forums will fail within two months. The reason? JT will not prop them up with thousands of posts because there's a 1000 character max for each post. Since the minimum posting for JT takes at least 30 minutes, and hence several thousand characters, he will give up in frustration, leave the site alone, and it will wither away and die.

I could be wrong though. The same logic could dictate that GNT, master of posts with less than 100 characters, may swamp the SW.com forums with literally thousands of micro-sized threads thus ensuring its survival.

What an interesting conundrum. I'll get the boys at CalTech on it ASAP.

"I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I wonder what they'd make of me and my Lucas dissin' attitude.
    Maybe i should hop on over and have a mosey around......

This is the first I've heard of those forums, I have had little reason to look elsewhere but SSG, the crowd here is articulate, informed, friendly and all around true fans of Star Wars. Sure we all complain about the odd points of the films, but in the end we just keep coming back for more. If there is the kind of censorship of Lucas bashing that is spoken of in this thread, then Mr. Lucas' people are doing him a great disservice. As a person in the public eye, he needs to realize that there is a lot of love of his work behind MOST of the critics scalding words. That we complain about this point and that only shows that we love Star Wars and want it to be the best that it can be, what Lucas should be worried about is reaching a point where no one is complaining, because they no longer care!
    I would like to think that such post-Nazis are overzealous censors trying to curry favor with Lucas by eliminating anything that might impugne his good name, however in light of the fact that it has been reported that he no longer surfs the net (he has lawyers for that who rack up a criminal volume of billable hours scouring the internet to put the kibosh on any site that has not payed an excessive fee to exist) because of so much negativism. If Mr. Lucas would really look around he might find as much possitive as negative, and let his work grow by culling the thoughts of both.
    Now this is the sort of thing that is bound to get me banned from that site before I even visit it for the first time.

One final thought on the issue of censorship and text limitations in the context of online forums. Though these are essentially "public" forums, they are still the domain of their administrators and are therefore subject to the scrutiny of their content by said administrators. There is a fine line between freedom of speach and the rights of the owners and opperators of websites to determine content on those sites. In the end, they have as much right to censor your thoughts on their sites as you have to express them anywhere you see fit. If you want total control of your own thoughts and expressions, start your own site and fear not the icy hand of the censor!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Talking

Originally posted by GNT

Hey Sliver FBI, I take it your Darth Sliver over at BHC?
    Thatīs right!

So, are you Bounty Hunter GNT!?
    "Marge! Is there another Man in the house!? A [COLOR=darkblue]Radioactive[/COLOR] Man!?"

Re: Definitely not as good as SSG

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    I could be wrong though. The same logic could dictate that GNT, master of posts with less than 100 characters, may swamp the SW.com forums with literally thousands of micro-sized threads thus ensuring its survival.
    I've given up on the SW.com message board,I not until they make it better! I hate it!

So, are you Bounty Hunter GNT!?
    Why yes i am, So far so good you have no votes in the Survivor thread which is good I see you voted for Jediseely,could be a mistake!

I have a bad feeling about DarthDudleyDoRight,Princess Leia,R5-D4
    Last edited by GNT; 10-18-2001 at 01:19 AM.
    GNT ™
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Not every post of mine takes that long. Still, a 1,000 character limit is totally bonkers IMO. It'll take a lot more than what the sw.com forums have to get me interested. And even if they do add a ton of features and deactivate the forum fascism, the issue of "too many people talking at once" still creeps up.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.