Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tranfering DVD Onto VHS

I've recently learned how to transfer a DVD onto a VHS tape by putting the DVD players scart lead into the VHS's line 2 scart socket. But when I press record on the video the picture starts to go all funny, as if someone has turned up the colour on the TV, is this because I'm not using the right kind of scart lead or is the DVD designed to do this to combat bootlegging?

BTW, I'm not bootleging as such because I'm not selling them, I'm only doing it ecause I'm the only person in my family to own a DVD player, so I put them onto tap for my sister and the rest of my family!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

it is an anti-copy feature that movie companies are using.

Are there and DVDs that don't have the anti-copy feature or do they all have them?

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I'd imagine they all have them, or at least newer DVDs have them, just like newer CDs have anti-copy features. There might be some way to bypass it, I'm not sure...

Alot of DVD's have Macrovision, or one of the other typical copyguard protections. Usually it's only on big name movies where bootlegs are are a problem to be cost effective. It's harder to get around then the version that is on Video Cassette's, because the copyguard chip is built into the machines. The great thing about Laserdiscs, is that it was impossible for them to put copyguard on the discs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thanx for the info guys!

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Thanks for the info, would the same happen if I wanted to copy a VHS onto another VHS?

BTW, it doesnt work on all of them, I tried copying the DVD of a comedy series we have over here called the League Of Gentlemen, you've probably heard of it Pendo, anyway the quality was fine, I'll have to go through all 21 of my DVD's and check them!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

I have one DVD that isn't encoded, it's called The Stars of Star Wars. Most of my other discs are "mainstream", so I presume those are all protected.

Jek, just playing the DVD thru your VCR will give a slight color twinge every few minutes, most people don't notice it but it's there.

I think one of the problems is the VCR that you use. I have an old VCR that isn't affected by Macrovision like the newer VCR's. If your VCR came out before Macrovision, you should be able to play/record your dvd's through the VCR.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK

Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
    Thanks for the info, would the same happen if I wanted to copy a VHS onto another VHS?
    Jek Porky - Most VHS tapes do not have Macrovision although I have run into a few that were protected. It may be a recent trend, but I haven't had any reason to buy a VHS in the last 5 years aside from TPM, so I haven't needed to copy any. It's all about that DVD baby!

Anyway, like you said, not all DVDs have Macrovision Copy protection. It's completely up to the manufacturer. But virtually every mainstream Hollywood DVD has it because the major studios viciously guard their properties.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?