Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by wedgeA
    Great call on 2010. I don't necessarily agree with your statements regarding 2001, as I think they filmakers wanted to create a philospohical statement to be digested, examined and discussed, but not thoroughly understood. Anyway, I think that 2010 is a worthy sequel and is for the most part unfairly disregarded by fans of the original.
    You say "tomato", I say "tomahto". I suppose you are right, but a lot - especially the last portion - feels like a really big cinematic april fools joke basically because the film seems to have not much to say about the monolith so it needs to pad. The trip into the monolith is very reminiscent in a backwards way of Star Trek: The Motion Picture's decent into V'ger. But that's me, and I actually do like 2001, it's just got aspects that feel like cheating and slop to me.

Originally posted by wedgeA
    I think the filmakers said "nuff talk and thinkin' stuff, let's fight!!"
    Yeah, that's what it seems like. That's how I accepted it from the beginning, light on the sci-fi front, heavy on the "fight for the sake of fighting" front - it's an "action sci-fi film" rather than a "sci-fi action film". Dark City covers the sci-fi and philosophical fronts very well, but it's not meant to be an action film (thankfully!).

EP, Blade Runner was on the top of my list along with TRON, I was saying that it's a shame that they're not more well-known or watched. Never seen War of the Worlds yet, I'll have to check that one out.

r2, I almost mentioned "The Time Machine", but then I remembered all those weekends as a kid watching Tom Hayden play that film on KTLA ch 5 and it reminded me that I don't really think it's "cool". It probably is, but it feels like someone's grandmother's old ribbon candy. I think "The Terminator" and most of the Trek films are considered mainstream enough, so I didn't mention them (that and I'm a Trekkie so I think the world revolves around them films ).

JON9000, this might not be the thread for this discussion, but I think while you're right about those scenes being cinematic classics, I don't think "Man Discovering Tools (thanks to the monolith)" and "the Starchild" are really honest pieces of the puzzle, I think like many other elements of the film, it's style over substance in order to confound and dazzle and confuse the masses - those 2, like other shots, are more like the mirror at the end of the bar that makes it seem like it really is a "mile-long bar".

I've seen the film on the big screen 3 times, mostly as an older kid, and none of them were satisfying to my young mind that wanted more sci-fi and less style, more story and less misdirection, more statement and less vague philosophy. If it weren't for 2010, I wouldn't even like 2001 at all. I feel like 2001 lacks balance thanks to a lack of cohesive story (I blame Clarke for co-writing the story with Kubrick) that is only balanced out by the sequel - yet I'd forgive the first film so much more if not for the fact that it's too long (unless you're stoned, then I suppose the space-baby is a gasser ).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, even I will admit that I need to be in a certain mood to watch 2001. Everyone should watch it a decide for themselves- I think that would not displease Stanley Kubrick.

Other awesome SF movies are:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan- Kirk deals with aging, an estranged son who hates him, and a gentic Superman bent of revenge.

Bladerunner - Harrison Ford hunts androids in futuristic LA and ponders the question- what is it that makes us human?

Aliens - before Titanic, James Cameron was a top notch action flick director.

The Matrix- humanity is enslaved by machines!

The Black Hole- an ominous spaceship prepares to enter a black hole while harboring a murderous secret.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described.
    I can't believe r2dee2 mentioned Somewhere in Time. Although I like the film it's one of those guilty pleasures. It's more of a chick flick with some very small element of time travel.

JIm

Jonna
    Originally posted by smurfvader
    Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described. JIm
    That snake monster use to give me nightmares.

Ahh Dreamscape, that one was very,very cool concept for a movie.
    Kinda like The Cell only less pretty.

For some reason Night of the Comet always appealed to me as well.

Alien Nation, another fun one.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Jonna
    How could we all have forgotten about Timebandits? I love midgets!!! Weeeeeeeeee!

Ahh Timebandits, was that ending bizarre or is it just me?

Logan's Run, another classic.
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Jonna
    Brazil! Brilliant!!!!!!

Looks like we are on the Terri Gilliam wagon! Don't forget 12 Monkeys!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Originally posted by smurfvader
    Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described.
    I can't believe r2dee2 mentioned Somewhere in Time. Although I like the film it's one of those guilty pleasures. It's more of a chick flick with some very small element of time travel.

JIm

Weellll.....I AM a chick
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=tahoma]I'm a SW Fan, Honk if you R2![/FONT]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [FONT=fixedsys]GREAT TRADERS! [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma]Baal
    good shot jansen
    JediTricks
    shinakuma43
    SWAFMAN
    Thrawn