Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Jonna
    Ha Ha! Want some help getting that foot in your mouth! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Originally posted by JON9000

-Certainly the movie makes demands on the viewer. Kubrick was never one to bash you over the head with symbolism. (Try looking for all the reproductive imagery). The movie goes over 40 minutes before any dialogue is spoken. Sorry, no big explosions or thrusters firing in this one- realism was Kubrick's goal, and in space, no one can hear you scream. Looong shots. In today's MTV style films, the camera changes about every 10 seconds (think Charlie's Angels). Kubrick will hold a shot for minutes on end.

This film is a treasure trove, but you need to go in ready to look- not expecting it to be shovelled down your throat. It is a grown up movie for grown ups. I think Steven Spielberg and Lucas would have my back on this one.

I'm not sure thats entirely true. 2001 biggest fault is that much of the movie is overworked. True the effects, camera angles and shots were outstanding for their time and in some cases still are, but several of the shots are over worked and almost too vague (the ending shot/montage showing the Dave's aging and subsequent rebirth as a starchild is a prime example).

Thenarration of the film and its abiltiy to keep you abreast of what is happening is lacking in areas (hence the ultimate trip tag it gained) leaving audiences clueless and confused. You need to have read the book in order fully understand the film. The attention to detail is nice but often it is taken too far, to the point of the pace of the film suffering.

The film is good but does not live up to the praise that is often heaped upon it. Good but flawed.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Escape from New York Cult classic from when Kurt Russell was good), Twelve Monkeys (look Brad Pitt can act) or even Pitch Black (a good one for guessnig who gonna survive) yet.

Originally posted by JON9000
    Looks like we are on the Terri Gilliam wagon! Don't forget 12 Monkeys!
    don't know if it counts as sci-fi or is more fantasy but if we're talking gilliam, then

the advenrures of baron munchausen

rocks!!! i love this movie. now if only the criterion collection could get the rights back and print their laser disc as dvd...
    Last edited by darthvyn; 07-24-2002 at 10:04 PM.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I think this one belongs somewhere between this thread & the "worst sci-fi" thread, but still deserves some mention:
    anyone remember "Videodrome" ?
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

Jonna
    I just bought it last month for $3 in a video store.

Originally posted by darthvyn
    don't know if it counts as sci-fi or is more fantasy but if we're talking gilliam, then

the advenrures of baron munchausen

rocks!!! i love this movie. now if only the criterion collection could get the rights back and print their laser disc as dvd...
    I would say it's more or less "fantasy" (heh heh, OBVIOUSLY - it's a munchausen joke folks), but it's a good film none the less.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Pendo mentioned Smeg in the Worst Thread, so I just had to metion that I'm really looking forward to the Red Dwarf movie that is supposed to come out next year. I love the series, though I haven't seen all the episodes. Sucks that they had to push back the DVD release of Season 1 to Febuary for us here in the States.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Pendo mentioned Smeg in the Worst Thread, so I just had to metion that I'm really looking forward to the Red Dwarf movie that is supposed to come out next year. I love the series, though I haven't seen all the episodes. Sucks that they had to push back the DVD release of Season 1 to Febuary for us here in the States.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Same here JJB, I can't wait for the movie! I e-mailed Robert Llewellyn who plays Kryten and I was begging him to tell me something about the movie, and he gave me some very useful information about it - he's in it! Not quite the information I expected but still better than nothing. Too bad I already knew it.
    Too bad on the DVDs thing, I'm just glad that they're out in November here. Have you seen the covers for them on the official site, they look alot nicer than the covers for the videos, and when you have all the series together they make the Red Dwarf logo down the side. I heard rumors that a series of Rd will be coming out every three months, so you should get two series at the same time every six months.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

has anyone heard anything at all about SOLARIS? with james cameron and steven soderberg, it seems like gold... any news?
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Originally posted by darthvyn
    has anyone heard anything at all about SOLARIS? with james cameron and steven soderberg, it seems like gold... any news?
    Yes, I have been reading up on this one. It's a re-make of the Russian film that was based on the book of the same name. It sounds like it's going to be very good. Here is the plot synopsis from Upcomingmovies.com:

Upon arrival at the space station orbiting an ocean world called Solaris, a psychologist (Clooney?) discovers that the commander of an expedition to the planet has died mysteriously. Other strange events soon start happening as well, such as the appearance of old acquaintances of the crew, including some, like the psychiatrist's wife, who are dead.... Talking to Film Threat, Steven Soderbergh described this film as "a combination of 2001 and Last Tango in Paris."

By the way, if you are intrested at all in the original Russian film, Criterion is going to be releasing a DVD Special Edition of Tarkovsky's Solaris due out about the same time as the big budget remake. Can't wait for this.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.