Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Cool Sci-Fi everyone should see...

Going with the opposite idea of the "worst sci-fi ever" thread, here is a thread where everyone should recommend GOOD sci-fi that not everyone might know about. Obscure Sci-Fi if you will... with that in mind I present to the masses my pick for really good Sci-Fi flick that didn't get much recognition:

Enemy Mine

Enemies because they were taught to be. Allies because they had to be. Brothers because they dared to be.

Starring Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr. as two star fighter pilots from different warring planets who crash land on a barren planet together.

GREAT MOVIE!!!

now you go.

Yea, I saw that when I was a kid. It's a real good movie. I thought it was pretty grose when that guy picked up that ear in the conver belt thing.

Another great movie is The Last Starfigher. A know nothing kid (about 17 or 18 years old) from a small town just happens to be the best at a the star figher video game. Low and behold this just happens to be an alien training madual in wich he is found to be the kind of "chosen one" and The Last Starfighter. It's cool the f/x aren't to bad for the 80's either. It's fun and sums nicely.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Definatly love both Enermy Mine and The Last Starfighter. Great movies that I grew up with. I'm going to go a little more mainstream, but only because most people haven't seen the extended version.

The Abyss - Great flic, but make sure you get the Director's Cut. The theatrical version was cut so much, that you don't understand what's going on. Atleast with the D.C. you get alot more info, and you know what's happening.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Great flic from Spielburgs early years. Give the new DVD a whirl. The added in alot of stuff, and cut the horrible "Inside the Mothership" ending that was added for the Speciel Edition release.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - One of my favorite BBC miniseries. Gotta love the cheesy special effects like Zaphod Beeblebrox's 2nd head that was state of the art at the time. They just released a cool 2-disc DVD a month ago.

Krull - Great little Sci-Fi/Fantasy film from the early 1980's. Love the combination of the Fantasy settings with the usual evil aliens storyline. There are some real Star Wars moments in the film. Plus don't forget Liam Neeson in one of his early roles as "Kegan". I know this is a sci-fi thread, but Legend (especially the Director's Cut) is great also.

Dune (Sci-Fi Miniseries) - I can't stand the horrible movie from 1984. It took a decent book and totally basterdized it. Turned the weirding way into some kind of gun. Ugh, don't even get me started on how bad that was. The Sci-Fi Channel Miniseries is very faithful to the book. Can't wait for "Children of Dune" later this year.

Farscape - Love the series, one of the freshest things ever to come out of the sci-fi genre. I wonder if Scorpious is going to start becoming good, like Crais did. This new season started off really well, and I can't wait til Friday. Going by the commercials on Sci-Fi channel for this weeks episode, Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan is back. Yipee!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 07-22-2002 at 02:08 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Jar Jar, I disagree with you about Dune. I actually thought the movie did most things better.

Jonna
    I liked both Dune movies, but for completely different reasons. I have both at home and usually watch them together over a few day period. They're the kind of films that you can watch over and over again.

Originally posted by DeadEye
    Jar Jar, I disagree with you about Dune. I actually thought the movie did most things better.
    The movie totally basterdized the original book, enough that I imagine that Frank Herbert probably spun in his grave after that one.

The Weirding Way being a gun, the Navigators being giant monsters, rain on Aracus at the end of the movie. They cut pretty much the entire environmental/political storyline from the movie. The Mini-series atleast remains faithful to the novel.

Let's not forget the most horrific thing about the David Lynch version of Dune. Sting in tiny little tight black leather underpants. The horror, the horror.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

DARK CITY- similar concept to The Matrix, but IMHO far superior, and predates that film by a year. Great DVD, especially considering that it was released in the format's infancy.

AI- Yeah, I know that a lot of people despise this film, but I feel that it is one of SS most moving and intelligent films. His trademark sentimentality, which I normally dislike, is quite effective here, and Osmet and Law deliver incredible performances. Also, the much maligned ending is great, reminds me of Zager and Evans' tune of "In the Year 2525".

V and V the Final Battle: Great stuff, its reputation has been tarnished by the short lived, pedestrian weekly series that followed it, but with Final Battle heading to DVD next month, the two mini's deserve another look. Watched the tape last year, and it has aged pretty well, more or less.

Jonna
    I was really disappointed in Dark City in much the same was I was with The Cell. I was just hoping that it was going to be much better then it was.

I take it we're avoiding the obvious good Sci-fi flicks, (Star Wars, Aliens, Evil Dead, yadda, yadda), and focusing more on not so well known movies.

Ok then, TRON.
    (for obvious reasons)
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Jonna
    The remake of The Thing. You know...back when Kurt Russel was kewl!