Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by JediTricks
    The Genesis scenes were slow as mud, I would have rather watched Grissom get into a losing firefight with the BOP than Saavik & David on Genesis.

Personally, I like TMP more than III.
    Would've been a short fight, I don't think the Oberth class has weaponry systems, I think it's just meant as a pure science ship.

I liked ST3, mostly because I didn't want Spock to be gone. Christopher as a Klingon was also what made the film very different...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Originally posted by JON9000
    Is that what it was? God those were awful. And the story just plain sucks. The only part I like is when Spock gets General Kord's face. Star Trek V is for the hardcore only.
    Aye, according to IMDB and confirmed on quite a few other websites, ILM was busy doing 2 other films at the time the Special Effects for Star Trek V were needed to be done. Here is the info from IMDB.com:

The film's special effects were not done by ILM because the members of ILM were already working on Ghostbusters 2 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. This hindered the film's ending greatly because the ending was to be much longer than Kirk simply being chased by "God." However, the sequence had to be cut out as a result of awful-looking special effects. The scenes were replaced by more shots of George Murdock's face, except his eyes glowed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well, here are the specs for the 2-disc set and the DVD case art. Looks like we won't be getting the rumored audio commentary by Nimoy/Shatner, but Nimoy did do Audio Commentary for the film.

The 2-disc set will include the original theatrical cut of the film on Disc One, in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. You will also find feature-length audio commentary with director Leonard Nimoy, writer/producer Harve Bennett, director of photography Charles Correll and actress Robin Curtis, along with another text commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda.

Disc Two will include the Captain's Log production retrospective featurette (featuring new interviews with Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Christopher Lloyd and Robin Curtis), the Terraforming and the Prime Directive featurette (which looks at the science fiction and real subject of "terraforming", featuring an interview with a NASA scientist), 3 additional production featurettes (Space Docks and Birds of Prey, Speaking Klingon and Klingon and Vulcan Costumes), the film's theatrical trailer, storyboards and a photo gallery. Note that the street date and features have been officially confirmed with the studio.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star trek 3 dvd.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	3051  

Originally posted by LTBasker

Christopher as a Klingon was also what made the film very different...
    Hee hee. I kept expecting him to say "Great Scott! "

Basically I liked the begining and the end of ST3. It had several great scenes, very memorable in the ST universe. But the Genesis scenes were bad in almost every way.

Still, as was already mentioned, 3 is still the best of the odd numbered films, although I rate it below every even numbered one so far. (I'll wait to see how Nemesis turns out before I make a final judgement )
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Oh, another minor update. The street date for Star Trek III has been changed. Paramount officially announced today that it was going to be released on October 22nd not October 8th!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JJB, I think Shatner got a great feeling of the original series out of ST5 and brought McCoy to a perfect point. He's an action director and an action writer, but I think he got the characterizations down pretty good for a nice comfortable feel, AND he gave everybody something to do for once. And as for writing, you should read "The Return", the sequel he wrote to "Star Trek Generations", I think he did a great job there getting good characterizations and great action sequences, as well as some good Trek talkin' scenes too.

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Would've been a short fight, I don't think the Oberth class has weaponry systems, I think it's just meant as a pure science ship.
    3 phaser banks, one photorp launcher.

Sybok was only Spock's brother because they needed a convenient reason for Spock to refuse shooting him.

I thought that except for the end sequences, the effects in ST5 were pretty good. The end sequences I blame on Paramount, as do Shatner and Nimoy. Roddenberry didn't like the idea of ST having anything to do with "God", especially since at that time Shatner was considering having Kirk find the real thing instead of a fake.

Originally posted by pthfnder89
    Hee hee. I kept expecting him to say "Great Scott! "
    I expected him to be doing "Okey dokey boss!" Reverend Jim crapola.

I thought Christopher Lloyd played Kruge pretty weak and basic, but at least stayed away from his previous characters.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

One of the things that bothered me about The Final Frontier was that except for the big three and Scotty, all the crew members bought Sybok's routine. I think that it should have been established more thoroughly that Sybok could engage in mind control, because I have a hard time accepting that the crew would choose, even in the slightest to mutiny. It was a slap to Chekov Uhura and Sulu.

I accepted it as some sort of Vulcan mind-control power - from the very first scene, it's clear that he's getting into the minds of others INSTANTLY. Since Vulcan's cast off some of those more powerful psychic powers when they left behind their emotions, I figure Sybok tapping into his emotions would also be able to tap into those powers.

They shoulda explained it though.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT,

True, but then Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were somehow strong enough to resist his power. So either way, the rest of the crew looks weak minded, especially with the ambiguity in the story.

They were just tighter with each other and Kirk than they were with their pain, they had a close bond and were together when it went down, so it made it easier to shake off. Plus, they're the stars of the film. Originally, Shatner wanted Spock and McCoy to go with Sybok and Nimoy said "you can't do that, these characters would never do that".