Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Emperor Howdy,
    The show you are thinking of was Hanna Barbara's Laff Olympics. One of their vehicle shows to get as much milage out of their anthropomorphic animal characters as possible. Another was the ahead-of-its-time-and-probably-banned-like-Doctor-Seuss'-"The-Lorax" enviromentally-themed Yogi's Ark. I would love to see some of those as I was formulating a story about how the envormental message was just a cover, the real story was about how all of the animals were really just trying to escape human opression (from Mr. Peebles, Park Ranger Smith, Major Minor, and others).

I did grow up in the days when Saturday Morning was king and the networks really courted the kids with the new seasons. There was a period of a few years when the networks would even air prime-time "preview" shows about a week before the new line-up of Saturday morning shows were to air. One was even hosted by Leonard Nimoy! (Imagine the horror of Nemoy talk-singing "Come Saturday Morning" with a chorus of chirpy kids!) And you usually had heavy advertizing in comic books of the shows that would soon grace your Saturday morning. Though I couldn't stand it after the first 12 years, Scooby Doo had to be the undisputed king of Saturday morning, managing to be reinvinted every few years ad nauseum. But my favorites were Jonny Quest (the single best show ever) and the more mature, continuing series shows like Valley of the Dinosaurs (an animated competitor of the live action Land of the Lost), Sea Lab 2020 (a show that it took years for me to prove even existed, which has recently been given hillarious new life on Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" block of programing as the recut and redialoged Sealab 2021, with outrageous new scripting in the vein of Space Ghost Coast to Coast), The Herculoids, and others. Of course during that time the live action boom was in full swing with Land of the Lost, The Lost Saucer, The Far Out Space Nuts, The Ghostbusters (featuring monser make-up legend Rick Baker as Tracy the Gorilla), Doctor Shrinker, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters and others, including an amalgam of the two, Uncle Croc's Block, a short-lived live-action showcase for various cartoons hosted by Charles Nelson Reily in a crocodile suit! I believe that Hanna Barbara introduced Captain Caveman on this show before spinning him off on his own.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

I liked the 60's and 70's era shows like Superchicken, Tom Slick, andGeorge of the Jungle. I also enjoyed obscure loony tune cartoons that had characters that were not reocuring such as the little smart chicken on Foghorn Leghorn and the frog before WB used him in such a degrading way. My brother and I used to watch a Godzila cartoon on Saturday mornings. The humans on the show had a hydrafoil that they cruised around in and Godzila had a son named Godzuki. There was also a Flash Gordon cartoon that a line of action figures was based on in the late 70's or early 80's I believe. This was not a cartoon but Lancealot Link Secret Chimp was a very funny show and I wish that I could find dvd's of it somewhere. To my shame, I watched and enjoyed 80's shows like GI Joe and Heman and will still buy Joe tapes at garage sales. The only show that I watch now is Simpsons but that show was only good between season 2 and the shooting of Mr. Burns.
    Like my dad always said, "Be original son. Dont quote someone else."

Another classic, Bubba Fatt! I loved the Flash Gordon series. It was made by Filmation about the same period as their sucessful Tarzan series, one of the few incarnations of Tarzan to attempt to be somewhat true to its roots. Tarzan was accompanied by Nikema, a little monkey that actually appears off and on in at least one of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels (though I cannot recall which one). The show also used all of the Great Ape names for the animals of the jungle (Numa, the lion, Histah the snake, Tantor the Elephant, Bolgani the gorilla, etc.) without ever feeling the need to talk down to the audience and explain the origins of the names. Like Flash Gordon, and indeed many of Filmations features, Tarzan utilized rotoscopy for many of its sequences. This technique uses shots of live action actors running, walking, or engaged in other repeated motions (any standard movements that could be used univerally, episode after episode) as a guide for the animators. This gave the characters a more fluid movement on screen. Filmation even built a model of the standard Mongo spacecraft for Flash Gordon and filmed it with motion control cameras as a template for scenes featuring the ships). I believe they did a Lone Ranger series in this way also.

Lancelot Link Secret Chimp was a bizarre show too, I loved it!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.