DVD/VHS Release Date Question

This is a really silly question but, which day of the weak do Videos get released in America? Over here it's on a Monday, makes sense with it being the first day of the week, but when I go shopping on American web-sites, the release dates are for Tuesdays and whenever a Star Wars film is released we always get it a day before.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Correct, it is "officially" every Tuesday. Our local Tower Video extends their Monday hours by about a quarter past midnight to allow people to get them that night without breaking street date.

yeah, that's a common practice, i think across the chain. i used to work at tower, (thank the maker i didn't have to work the night shift on mondays!!!) and i'm pretty sure they all have the "midnight madness" every monday, at least the mondays where there's something big coming out the next day...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Yep, our DVD/VHS get released on Tuesdays. Occassionally they will release one on a different day, just to make it a big deal. I believe the last one was Shrek that was released on a Friday. The next one is Spider-Man which will be released Friday Nov. 1st, so that people can pick it up after midnight on Halloween night.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I've just remembered that when Harry Potter was released, it came out on a Saturday, this was only because all the kids where off school and they tried to milk as much money as they could from it.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

They used to come out on Fridays until about 1994. I believe they moved the date to Tuesday, because if they were all rented on Friday, there were very few in the store during the rental stores busiest days, Sat and Sun. With them going out Tuesday, it gets most of them back before the weekend.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

All I know is, there's 3 DVDs I'm gonna be buying in the coming months without even reading any reviews of them or anything:

Spider-Man
    the "Deluxe" edition of LOTR
    and AOTC

Now if Ridley Scott would just finish up whatever he's doing to Blade Runner and release the new superspecial ultimate edition or whatever the heck they're gonna call it.

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    They used to come out on Fridays until about 1994. I believe they moved the date to Tuesday, because if they were all rented on Friday, there were very few in the store during the rental stores busiest days, Sat and Sun. With them going out Tuesday, it gets most of them back before the weekend.
    I worked in and managed video stores in California and Arizona from '91 to '94 and it was almost always Thursdays, NEVER on Fridays.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JediTricks.....I did too, and I meant Thursday, it was so long ago w hen I did that, that for some reason Thursday sounded wrong. But my initial thought was Thursday, which you stated. Thank you.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"