View Poll Results: SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Semi-Finals - Fight Two!!!

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Speeder Bike blasts its way to the Top!

106 69.28%
  • Luke's Landspeeder has victory set on cruise control!

47 30.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Semi-Finals - Fight 2!!!

It's almost all over and and exactly one ship or vehicle will get to claim the Championship Title as the Ultimate, Best Hasbro Star Wars Toy of All-Time!

Tonight the king of the lightweights will be ultimately decided.

Luke Skywalker's landspeeder beat Zam Wessel's airspeeder 85-80 in a hotly contested match where Luke sneaked past the bounty hunter with just 52% of the 165 votes. The Landspeeder seats 2 action figures in the front, while 2 more, including droids, can ride on the back behind the seats. Spring-loaded wheels help the Landspeeder look like it's floating as it rolls over hardfloors. But for fun spin-outs on the rug, shift the drive gear back and the wheels hide inside for the least resistance on carpeting. Pop open the hood to make engine repairs, or at least admire the decale that lets you pretend that's what you're doing. Luke's Landspeeder is also detailed with one engine panel removed, the turbine exposed for added realism. The Landspeeder also beat the Naboo's Flash Speeder 51-20 for a win carrying over 71% of the votes.

Challenging Luke are 3 riders including both "his clone" and his twin sister on the Aratech 74-Z Military Speeder Bike, which was featured in Return of the Jedi. This vehicle has been packed with every known movie pilot which today includes its standard pilot, the Imperial Scout Trooper, as well as Leia, Luke himself, and Ewok Scout Paploo. All of the pack-in figures are available in other venues (save for Paploo) be it a carded figure, or a Millennium Minted Coin box figure. Meanwhile, the speeder bike features a pivoting blaster cannon, braking flaps that operate remotely when the foot pedals are moved, and an explosive battle damage feature that causes the craft to blow apart when the camouflage jacket is pressed down on the rear of the craft.
    The Speederbike defeated the Swoopbike 82-23 carrying 78% of the vote to its victory. It did similarly well against a Battledroid on a STAP in the Quarterfinals, where the Imperial Speederbike finished 135-35 carrying 79% of the vote (out of 170) for another perfect finish.

So which craft will last out of the Semi-Finals and attempt to go all the way?

The champion of the lightweights is....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails landspeeder vs speederbike.jpg  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

So, how many more of these votes are left before we have determined the ultimate victor?

BTW, I voted for the Speeder Bike, after seeing the 25th Anni version of the Landspeeder, I can't vote for the old one.

It's going to be a moot point anyway as there is no chance the winner of this poll will beat out the AT-AT. So you might as well disqualify both of them right now.

Everything BB has said was pretty much what I was thinking..

There are 2 Semi-Final matches left, for August 2nd and August 9th.

Then 2 Finals for the last 4 vehicles not yet cut out by multiple eliminations will be held on August 16.

Finally, a championship between the last 2 standing on August 23.

Then there will only be one.

There is a vehicle or two that might challenge the AT-AT.

They both may be in some very close matches in the last of the Semi-Finals. So far our closer battles have been in the Quarterfinals and Preliminaries. Go figure...

But stay tuned.

But please continue to discuss and debate the merits of the speederbike and the landspeeder.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The landspeeder is a cute toy, but the design is now 25 years old and looks badly dated. It's always been ridiculously out of scale and had only so-so sculpting and materials.

On the other hand, the speederbike was designed 7 years after the landspeeder when there was TONS of experience and still remains a viable sculpt. It's in-scale, has a good floating design (sorry, but while I love the wheels on the landspeeder, they don't look nearly as cool as the speederbike's legs), a fun exploding gimmick, and great paint apps.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I like the Landspeeder, but it's design is much more in step with the original late '70's designs of the entire line. With the much more realistic look of figures these days, the Landspeeder in this contest just doesn't look right anymore. (Eagerly awaiting the newer version).

On the bright side, the floating action has always worked very well and made this an easy toy to actually play with...

As opposed to the SpeederBikes which require a bit more "work" to fly around. It's a great looking toy and always has been, but playing with it is a little more difficult than with the Landspeeder.

Plus keeping figures on the Speederbike can be quite difficult whereas the Landspeeder keeps the occupants safe and sound.

Regardless, I went with the Speederbike for it's more accurate look that is more in step with the modern line of figures.

I had to vote for the Landspeeder. Nice stable vehicle. I'm sure the new version will be much better. While I like the speederbike, it has too many issues. The break apart feature is a little too sensitive, and those little flaps on the back always pop off.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Well I chose Lukes speeder it is a good paint job on an old toy.
    Did you see the new Lukes speeder though OMG!!!!! Toys R Us has it made with that exclusive vehicle and the new X-Wing they look absolutly beautiful

I vote for the speeder bike as well. The Landspeeder just isn't a fun toy. Neither vehicle should've made it this far though.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I voted landspeeder. Both are great tiny vehicles, but the landspeeder looks cooler in my dioramas that a speederbike.

However, in matching these two up, you sacrificed them both since neither one has the moxie to defeat ANY of the remaining vehicles. And if you had matched them up against two separate vehicles, they would have been seen as sacrifices in order to allow the other two vehicles to advance one more round. Having seen this match up (of all the possible variables) I can reasonably assume another Imperial match up and another Prequel matchup.
    The victor of either of THOSE matches will pit it triumphantly against the winner of this matchup, leaving the other to deal with the AT-AT juggernaut. Now it's possible that the AT-AT COULD be defeated in that round, but you are virtually guaranteeing the winner of the other contest (that which faces the winner of THIS contest) to make it to the final round.

So, have you already planned your strategy, Tycho? Which vehicle will you favor with battling the Landspeederbike in the semi finals, so that it may head off into the finals? The winner of the TIE/TIE battle, or the battle of the "1"s?

ROLLO!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."