Page 123 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1680
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    So why are we interested in this person anyway? Sex. I mean literally, if not for physical attraction which breeds the illusion of affection, what do we need this other person for when we already have friends who share more of our interests? Apply Vulcan logic and this will all seem very rationale.
    Not to get too far off topic, but...

Sex is only part... a great part, but only part of what makes a relationship work. Why do we get married? It's a ritual that confirms the bond between two people, and nothing more. A long term relationship can work without marriage, and the more I read your posts to do with the subject Tycho, the more I'm convinced that it's not the idea of "marriage" that bothers you, but rather "commitment" and "sharing." You have a very "only child" attitude about the whole thing... and you're obviously most unwilling to come to terms with the fact that once you've entered into a partnership with someone, you'll be required to give up some of the things that you hold dear.

But again, and getting back on topic, that's not necessarily true. This August will mark the 20th year that I've spent with my wife. Very early on I remember a situation where we were sitting around watching TV, and I got all excited because Star Trek (TOS) was on. She tells me, "Ehhh, I've never watched the show. I'm not into it." and suddenly I'm thinking, "Ouch! That's a big problem." I could let a lot of things slide, and frankly she's not a huge Star Wars fan either, but Star Trek is something entirely different.

So... I forced her to watch this day long marathon with me, and after just one or two episodes, she "got it." She's been a fan of the show ever since, loving it for the campy, corn-ball, bundle of Sci-Fi brilliance that it is. As a matter of fact, it was my wife (then girlfriend) that got us into watching TNG, and was the one who started buying all of the Playmates figures that we have. Initially I was going to pass on them, but she pushed it, and I'm glad she did.

So Tycho, it is possible to find someone that puts up with your kook lifestyle. It's only a matter of deciding how much effort you want to spend to make it work.

And last word: attitude. It's fine being cynical or pessimistic, but only to a point. I know that at this time in your life you're more concerned with how much time you've got left. But you've fought that battle with a wild amount of enthusiasm, and I can't see why you're so willing to admit defeat when it comes to finding someone to share your life.

You know... live long and prosper.

Exclamation

Thats true. My girlfriend was the same way when we first met. I was embarrased when i showed her my collection of star wars and star trek and she didnt get it until we watched all of the movies, some times over and over again and after a little while she got it and at times shes into more than i am...when we go to the store she wants to look with me or some times she wants to be ahead of me so she can look before me. ....its kinda cute.

She doesnt mind me collecting she doesnt like me spending alot of money on the stuff...and i understand but it makes me happy and when i get my tax check its the only time i can afford to get the expensive stuff. And that part she doesnt understand cause shes not into it like i am. But how many women are? You know? I love her and yes we will get married and im pretty sure that our relationship will be fine...we have gone through so much in last seven years so its all good. Collecting is who i am and what i do and it makes me happy so if she wants to be with me she has no choice but to except the fact that i do collect and i always will. I started in 1995 and quite frankly...i dont think i will ever finish. And i dont want to.

There's some sweet girls out there who are into Star Trek I'm sure.
    I'd like to go to a ST convention to see just how many in ratio to guys there are. Well, I'd like to go to a Star Trek convention anyways, but I suspect those days are over for a while.
    There were plenty of girls at Comic-Con.

Met any at the San Diego Star Trek exibit Tycho?

Getting back to the figures. From looking at the 3 3/4 figs, the torsos look like they all have the middle age spread. They need to be slightly slimed down. Hope they are by the time the production figures are out.

I liked your post PlasticFetish: your optimism is a little contagious

This is the season where we're all into "hope" anyway. It's all catching on.

I haven't been to the San Diego Star Trek exhibit, Blue2th. Minus TOS bridge, much of what they have would be the same as the Las Vegas ST Experience, to which I'd been many times before they closed it. While I'd like to go on TOS bridge, I don't think I'll get to while it's here in SD, on account of being really busy right up to my pending surgery. I suppose I could try and go Sunday morning before the Super Bowl though.

But I think you have to pay twice: for entrance to the Air and Space Museum, and then a separate fee for the Star Trek Exhibit.

Not a really big deal though.

As to finding a girl right before my surgery, or before I'm fully restored to normal by my 2nd surgery (May or June) - not as likely except in the case where an old girlfriend who I've already been going out with feels sorry for me. But hey: I'm playing that. I mean, if it works - use it.

In the past I have met girls that I dated who were into Star Trek actually. Miranda moved away, and she was scamming for money. Bridgette was Swiss and was dating my identical twin (almost literally - this guy really looked like me) back in Switzerland, and I only discovered this when I went to stay with her there and my European vacation became really interesting. Ah well - it may work out with someone else in my future according to hopeful speculation by PlasticFetish. And I really hope he's right.

Mirandas are always trouble, Kirk learned that the hard way.

Can't contribute much else to the girlfriend convo, as I've been burned twice and am staying far, far away from relationships for a long time.

And, in other news Rick at NewForce mentioned on the TrekToy board that he'll be getting a new Trek Tek item that is entirely exclusive to him. He's just waiting on approval from DST to announce what it is.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The Borg Tribble!!!

It reproduces constantly and assimilates its offspring and itself!

That would be awesome, actually.

Got my case of wave 5 today and have to say it's a very awesome wave. Surprisingly though, the packaging is the same as waves 1-3 instead of the slimmer packaging used on wave 4, and DS9 wave 1.

O'Brien - Decent but soft likeness to Colm Meaney, the figure uses Data's body (but at a better quality than wave 3 Data) which seems a bit small for O'Brien in his '92 appearance, but is consistent with the DS9 figure that is using First Contact Data's body. His single unique accessory is a bonzai tree - I assume this is Keiko's doing.

Ro - Definitely the best figure of the wave, she is all sorts of awesome. She doesn't have a unique accessory, but at least she comes with another TNG/DS9 Starfleet rifle that I can give to my DS9 crew since DST insists on giving them the FC rifles.

Ogawa - Her eternal grin has made a few unsure about getting her, but fortunately it's slightly more subtle in person although I can't really say it's all that close to the actress' likeness. She comes with disappointment, however, in that they used the wrong body for her. Instead of using Troi's body, they put her on Crusher's body so she is ridiculously taller than she should be. Her unique accessory is shared by Nem. Crusher and that's the new medical kit.

Nem. Crusher - The paint application on the face is far better than they accomplished on the S7 Crusher, but most are disappointed with the hair. DST made it incredibly more red than it should be and despite having a modified hair sculpt for Nem. Crusher, the factory still used the same piece that's on S7 Crusher. Still, it's a decent figure as the rest of the body was already done well when released as Jadzia's. Definitely a must-have if you're assembling a movie crew.

Interesting note: Thanks to this wave, there are nearly just as many secondary crew members as there are main crew members for TNG;

Picard - Riker - Data - Worf - Troi - Geordi - Crusher
    Barclay - Wesley - Ro - O'Brien - Ogawa

Edit: Full accessory list is:
    O'Brien: Phaser, Bonzai Tree and Engineering PADD.
    Ro: Phaser, Tri-Corder, PADD and Phaser Rifle.
    Ogawa: Medical Tri-Corder, Hypo-Spray, Dermal Regenerator and Medical Kit.
    Crusher: Nemesis-style PADD, Nemesis-style Tri-corder, Dolphin Phaser and Medical Kit.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."

The TNG collection needs some more alien enemies:

Duras, Lursa, B'Tor (they made Gowron for DS9), Kurn, K'Ehlehr, Alexander
    Tomaluk, Bak'ra, Admiral Jerok, Nemesis Romulan played by Dina Meyer, Reman
    Damon Bok, Quark, Rom, Brunt: F.C.A., Ishka, Zekk, Nog, Nog in SF uniform

I know I covered some DS9 aliens with the TNG species.

I didn't go so far as Cardassians, as they are more appropriate for a DS9 line.

TNG was Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Borg

DS9 was those (not really the Borg though) and Cardassians, Jem Hadar, Vorta, Founders, Breen (and I'm not counting more human-looking aliens like Bajorans for the moment).

Yeah, it would be nice to get some aliens but I don't mind too much as I prefer the Starfleet-uniformed figures anyways. I absolutely demand Gul Madred, Sela and Hugh though. They are just absolutely needed characters that DST simply can't ignore. I'd say Lursa and B'Etor too, but since DST wants to make a 2-pack for every movie they would probably be the top choice for the Generations 2-pack.

Basker, thanks for the rundown on that case. Man, that sounds like a real bummer, everything has a proviso.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.