Page 54 of 168 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by James31278 View Post
    Yes this ship is part of the AA/DST ship line and the lights staying on is a new feature, notice I held the bridge dome for 5 seconds and voila lights as long as I want. I pressed the dome again to turn them off.
    That's really cool. I wished my ships I have did that.

Kirk is my favorite captain, btw. Love your avatar. Mine is to make Michael Bay into a vegetable, provided he doesn't redeem himself on July 4th.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    That's really cool. I wished my ships I have did that.

Kirk is my favorite captain, btw. Love your avatar. Mine is to make Michael Bay into a vegetable, provided he doesn't redeem himself on July 4th.
    I know about your avatar . Kirk rules Picard can't fight worth crap but he's still a decent captain.

BTW, while I'm watching all my TOS videos, I can't help but bring up that I wished AA / DST would go ahead and release that M-113 Salt Vampire they had prototyped way back when (for the Gorn Wave). I would have loved to have gotten that figure.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

BTW, while I'm watching all my TOS videos, I can't help but bring up that I wished AA / DST would go ahead and release that M-113 Salt Vampire they had prototyped way back when (for the Gorn Wave). I would have loved to have gotten that figure.
    They probably will release it eventually. Damnit Paramount has screwed blued and tattooed Star Trek. We need another TNG movie to unscrew up the franchise.

It was a training ship in TWOK not UTC.
    I concede the point. I forget Saavik Light wasn't a cadet. Otherwise, crew size is an even worse determiner of size than interior arrangement. I mean, maybe all that internal space was taken up by automation.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace View Post
    I concede the point. I forget Saavik Light wasn't a cadet. Otherwise, crew size is an even worse determiner of size than interior arrangement. I mean, maybe all that internal space was taken up by automation.
    Who knows, one thing I know is the Okuda's nor Paramount have gone that extra step to prove the refit is bigger. The only comparison pictures that show the refit is longer are the ones with 1701's saucer smushed in the front or some other deformity. Just like a tootsie roll pop, the world may never know. That is funny stuff though my DST 1701 has moved to my favorite ship so far. I would change one little thing by running a fibre optic cable down the dorsal to the shuttle bay doors, make the doors semi translucent resulting in lighted doors and dome on top. The dome would have to be clear since the actual ship in the remastered shots has a white lit up dome, this LED lookalike is green with three painted dots on it.

Longer nacelles on old enterprise.....

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...tion-refit.htm
    That's an excellent comparison, the superimposed version tells it very well. I guess I wasn't factoring in bussard collectors or main deflector as part of their respective elements. Still, the Ent-A is longer than the TOS Enterprise, that's key.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace View Post
    Also if we're judging by internal cues from the movies, how many decks did Star Trek V give the refit Enterprise? Forty something? Enterprise-D has forty-two, so by that system the Enterprise refit is taller than a Galaxy-class starship.
    They got up to deck 99 during that rocket boots bit IIRC, that was pretty heinous.

I believe the Miranda is supposed to have the exact same size nacelle as the Constitution.
    Same forward saucer too. There's slight room for discrepency though because the models were built at different scales from each other (the Refit Enterprise model was built at some odd size they didn't like to work with well).

As a training ship. That doesn't require a full crew.
    It was a training ship in TWOK not UTC.
    Keep in mind, the command crew was nearing retirement and the ship was to be mothballed, it was no longer the most vital ship in the fleet so it didn't need to be fully manned anymore.

I did notice another thing, in alot of the comparison photos the pre refit enterprise looks warped when compared to the refit picture to picture. The TOS saucer looks likes its been smushed. I don't know man, I just don't know......

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ySide1701s.jpg
    The TOS' saucer is a smaller diameter and a hair off symmetrical, that'd probably explain why you see it as "smushed".

In TOS, the ship had one turbolift onto the bridge. By the movies, the set always had 2 turbolift doors onto the bridge. They could have moved Uhura's station or something, but there was some major work done there.
    It's always been assumed that bridge modules can be swapped. The second turbolift wouldn't have interfered with Uhura's station, had it still been there, but they moved it to Scotty's old station anyway (and Spock's station to Uhura's old one - it's like they rotated the whole damn room 90 degrees).

Next, did they knock off the "wings?" They are straight in TOS, and angled in the movies. You can't add on to straight pieces and get them "that" angled. In a service / construction dock, they'd have to have completely removed the entire nacles.
    Hence the phrase "refit". They removed the old warp nacelles and pylons, and added new ones.

It might have worked since the ship itself is like a couple of hundred feet tall but yes that turbolift shaft was way too long to be acurate. The DST Electronic 1701 is a piece of artwork btw. Provinding I can convert my Env's video into mpeg I will show yall this beauty. That is the beauty of futuristic technology everything is modular so it's designed to be easily removed and replaced.
    Yeah, the straight turboshaft was ridiculous, it'd have to zig-zag through the neck of the ship if nothing else was complainable.

You have the DST 1701, the TOS version, how did you get it? I didn't realize it was out.

Fyi the video quality is crap thanks to photobucket and the transporter sound almost sounds like bells. Sooner or later I will get a very good digital camera.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=DST1701.flv
    Kinda dark, but still cool to see it going. Does this one run through its whole gamut of lights & sounds when you hold the activation button the way all the others do?

Who knows, one thing I know is the Okuda's nor Paramount have gone that extra step to prove the refit is bigger. The only comparison pictures that show the refit is longer are the ones with 1701's saucer smushed in the front or some other deformity.
    Probert says it is, he designed it, that's the numbers the fx guys use when comping it, therefore it is larger.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know the Hollywood reason was to make the ship look cooler for the movies.

However, if you want to lay out sensible fiction (considering you have the ultimate logical character on the same show) it would make more sense to get a new ship, rather than do that much work refitting the 1701.

Not to mention:

1701 is what? 30 years old?

Capt. April
    Capt. Pike
    Capt. Kirk - 5 + years, then a refit, then Capt. William Decker + 3-4 more years until Khan and the Klingons really damaged the ship.

The refitted 1701 got less than 1/3 of the total ship's service time before it was scheduled for retirement anyway (let alone it being destroyed). It seems like a wasted effort if you ask me.

They should have renamed the Yorktown in TMP and destroyed it, then got another Enterprise-class ship. (Prior to refit, the 1701 was Constitution class, then I forgot the class of the refit / Yorktown)

I love the shape of the "Refit" Enterprise. It seems more streamlined than the original which is almost stick-figured in comparison. Though I love them all. Say isn't the "Refit" exactly like the 1701-A? or are there slight differences? Or is this another Blue2th stupid question?

Production-wise, it's the same physical model. They figured they'd spent enough money on it. So they painted on an "A."