Page 59 of 168 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Anyway, what is the deal about Klingon ships and escape pods? They do or do not have them?

Must Klingons always go down with their ships? What is the "honorable" rule for determining that?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Your links aren't working guys. A complaint about using someone else's bandwidth comes up instead.

Anyway, what is the deal about Klingon ships and escape pods? They do or do not have them?

Must Klingons always go down with their ships? What is the "honorable" rule for determining that?
    Klingons don't have escape pods in the smaller ships apparently and the BOP's from 3 and 5 were two different ships. The bridge sets up were totally different as well. Kruge's throne bridge vs Klaa's periscope bridge. The outie launcher doesn't look like a photon tube can fit through there. The Klaa BOP also didn't have red accents around the torp launcher either it was all plain green. The guy who owns Ex Astris doesn't like the tri-nacelled 1701-D either. I don't really go by that site anyway. Star Trek's version of Curtis Saxton, a real pain in the a**.

Who invented the Bird of Prey - the Klingons or the Romulans?

In TOS, Lt. Styles says the Romulan ships "are painted like a giant bird of prey."

On Enterprise, the Klingons already had BOPs.

The Romulans used ships much like TOS Romulan ships. It was said they didn't have warp capability in Balance of Terror - but was that on the prototype ship with the plasma disruptor only? They had both warp drive and cloaking technology on Enterprise it would seem.

In TOS "The Enterprise Incident," the Romulans got their hands on 3 Klingon cruisers, seemingly in trade that gave the Klingons cloaking technology. By TOS movies, the Klingons had cloaks.

By TNG, the Romulans were using warbirds - and a new design showed up in Nemesis (Warbird design, in addition to whatever you'd classify the Scimitar as).

Do I have this right, or does anyone want to correct or add anything?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by James31278 View Post
    Klingons don't have escape pods in the smaller ships apparently and the BOP's from 3 and 5 were two different ships. The bridge sets up were totally different as well. Kruge's throne bridge vs Klaa's periscope bridge.
    Klaa's bridge is based on the TNG set, I believe, which itself is based on the fully redesigned ST4 set. And they shouldn't have escape pods, that's so anti-Klingon!

The outie launcher doesn't look like a photon tube can fit through there.
    Yeah, there was some design confusion on ST3 with this, some fans claim it's a "lid" covering the tube, but in ST3 you can see a photon torpedo coming from the "lid" like it was a plasma cannon.

The guy who owns Ex Astris doesn't like the tri-nacelled 1701-D either.
    Understandable, Probert has made it clear that Roddenberry's idea was the warp engines work in tandem so there always had to be an even number of them, Probert's contribution to that was to ensure the engines could also "see" each other. Also, Probert feels the huge cannon under the future D's saucer is anti-Roddenberry and I've always felt similarly.

Who invented the Bird of Prey - the Klingons or the Romulans?

In TOS, Lt. Styles says the Romulan ships "are painted like a giant bird of prey."

On Enterprise, the Klingons already had BOPs.

The Romulans used ships much like TOS Romulan ships. It was said they didn't have warp capability in Balance of Terror - but was that on the prototype ship with the plasma disruptor only? They had both warp drive and cloaking technology on Enterprise it would seem.

In TOS "The Enterprise Incident," the Romulans got their hands on 3 Klingon cruisers, seemingly in trade that gave the Klingons cloaking technology. By TOS movies, the Klingons had cloaks.

By TNG, the Romulans were using warbirds - and a new design showed up in Nemesis (Warbird design, in addition to whatever you'd classify the Scimitar as).

Do I have this right, or does anyone want to correct or add anything?
    Romulans were the first to have a Bird of Prey warship, the very first one being in TOS, and originally in ST3 Kruge stole the BOP in that film from the Romulans so the Bird of Prey but they changed that script point to lessen confusion. So the Romulans have their own BOP made in TOS, and the Klingons in ST3 developed a totally unrelated BOP of their own.

Nemesis had their own Warbirds, ugly little halfling things, but the Scimitar was not a Warbird.

As for Enterprise, they screwed all that up by making the dumb Klingon 22nd century BOP, it's lame and should be ignored.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Klaa's bridge is based on the TNG set, I believe, which itself is based on the fully redesigned ST4 set. And they shouldn't have escape pods, that's so anti-Klingon!

Yeah, there was some design confusion on ST3 with this, some fans claim it's a "lid" covering the tube, but in ST3 you can see a photon torpedo coming from the "lid" like it was a plasma cannon.

Understandable, Probert has made it clear that Roddenberry's idea was the warp engines work in tandem so there always had to be an even number of them, Probert's contribution to that was to ensure the engines could also "see" each other. Also, Probert feels the huge cannon under the future D's saucer is anti-Roddenberry and I've always felt similarly.

Romulans were the first to have a Bird of Prey warship, the very first one being in TOS, and originally in ST3 Kruge stole the BOP in that film from the Romulans so the Bird of Prey but they changed that script point to lessen confusion. So the Romulans have their own BOP made in TOS, and the Klingons in ST3 developed a totally unrelated BOP of their own.

Nemesis had their own Warbirds, ugly little halfling things, but the Scimitar was not a Warbird.

As for Enterprise, they screwed all that up by making the dumb Klingon 22nd century BOP, it's lame and should be ignored.
    I'll throw in my two cents, I suspect the Klingons knew about or later found out about the Romulan BOP so they made one of their own. The Scimitar was it's own class of Warbird I've heard it called a Reman Warbird. The lid you describe could be some kind of rotating magnetic accelerator or the innie extends and rotates simultaneously then shoots. Like a spinning top, in the scene where it nails the Grissom the launcher spins really slow then once the torp is out it spins very fast. The ST5 Klingon shooting is funny is a different way, I may be crazy but at one time I swore the spinner thingy went the other direction for a split second.

I forgot about that spinning aspect! That's true, it does spin, and I wouldn't be surprised if it spun the other way in ST5 momentarily, that film's effects were very sloppy since they went with a cheaper f/x house.

The "outie" lid has no hole, just some coil details - one could argue it's an energy weapon, but I don't see how they thought a photon torpedo was supposed to come out of there since ST2 had just established that photorps are physical casings, not just energy. Maybe they thought they could say it was a plasma torpedo like the Romulan BOP used in TOS, I don't believe those have been established as anything solid - that'd go with the spinning outie, though it wouldn't be consistent with later confirmations of photorps used on the KBOP.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

In the Star Trek Generations pc game I boarded the Duras Sisters' old BOP and in the Torp room were casings and a launcher. One of the casings was Soran's Solar Probe. In ST3 they actually mentioned the emergency tube so there is no denying they are casings. If you look closely when the BOP lands on Vulcan in the movie one of the searchlights brushes over the launcher itself revealing it to be an "innie". I think it's been an innie all along they just added the spinner thing to wow movie goers.

"Emergency tube", I don't remember that, could you clarify?

Yeah, I don't think it wows anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    "Emergency tube", I don't remember that, could you clarify?

Yeah, I don't think it wows anybody.
    Right after they hit the Enterprise and disabled the automation the Klingon officer can be heard saying. "Ready to fire emergency tube" less than a second later Kruge throws up his hand to stop it from being fired.

Hmm, that's a weird one, I cued it up, it's there, but you can clearly see there's no possible location for such a thing. Also, in the script, the Klingons are talking about emergency power when they mention the line, so it could be a reference to power rather than the tube (which, BTW, in the long shots doesn't have the lid, but the tube is more outie than the Corgi version - my guess is they made the lid on only 1 size of fx model rather than all of 'em). As for the tube, I'd chalk that up to a script mistake or the modelmaker didn't understand what needed to be there for that line to be accurate.