Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sculpey Q&A

I take it that if u bake it you cannot sculpt onto the figure- that you would have to do that separate and then glue the baked sculpty or something.
    Jango Fett- Schmango Fett

Using a hairdryer does work quite well. You can sculpt the clay on-piece if you use the hairdryer. I've done it many times and it worked great,downside being it takes longer to dry the clay. But it also allows you from melting any plastic exposed to the heat. All you have to do is dry the sculpey in stages. Don't worry if the piece you're working on gets a little spongy while drying,just use that as your timer to take the heat off. Using a heat gun is okay but there may be a chance of over-heating the plastic. I used heatguns to shrink-wrap R/C car battery packs all the time and ended up wrecking some expensive battery cells because of too much heat. Just be careful and it'll turn out well.

LightsaberHandle

Thanks for sharing your experiences... i was worried that the hairdryer would not work as it might overheat or something like that... Hopefully once I get my digicam up and running etc... I would be able to participate more in this section of the forum

Cheers
    "It was just a little story outline with bits and pieces," -- George Lucas

what kind of paint works the best on sculpey? And what tools do you use to sculpt the sculpey?

There are several forms of Sculpey including Sculpey, Super Sculpey SculpeyIII, and Sculpey Super Flex. I use Super sculpey for most of my customs, but on certain occasions use Sculpey Super Flex which is supposed to be a bit more flexible when it hardens. If you go to this website http://www.geocities.com/joe_kisenwether/swpez and scroll down to the 4th pictuire you will see a Tusken Raider Pez dispenser. It started as a Spider-Man, but I used Super sculpey on its head and like AJ boiled the head. This works real well and you don't have to wait long or worry about melting anything. Any paint will work on Sculpey as long as you prime it first with a sealer or a Gesso. I first stared customizing dispensers and bodys I was using the Testors oil model paints. They worked real well and I didn't have any problems with painting even though I wasn't using a primer at the time. I tried using another type of oil paint and found out that it didn't dry well on the sculpey and in fact became stickey. That's when I started using a primer and switched to acrylic paints. For one thing they are much cheaper then the oil base paints (I can get tubes for .25c each as opposed to almost a dollar for Testors), They also come in over a 100 colors and dry quickly. As for tools, I mainly use a small rubber tipped chisel like devise that I bought from an art store This works great for smothing out the rough spots Another device is the X-acto knife for cutting the clay and a small needle like device which is used for making lines, poking holes in the clay and many other things.
    JIm
    Last edited by smurfvader; 10-03-2002 at 05:34 PM.

Awesome.... thank you for the really detailed response.

That Tusken raider pez is incredible.