Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Grammar in the Forums

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed the how the English language has been taking a beating in the forums lately?

I admit, I am far from perfect myself. However, there seems to be lots of misspellings, punctuation errors, incomplete sentences, and run-ons. Itís to the point where some of the posts are practically unreadable. I don't people to be perfect, but some of these posts are not even close! It only takes a second to go over your post before you submit it.

I guess it could be because it is the summer and there are more kids posting that don't know better.

Ok, I vented. I feel much better.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Re: Grammar in the Forums

Originally posted by Rogue II
    I don't people to be perfect, but some of these posts are not even close! It only takes a second to go over your post before you submit it.
    *Ahem*

I know my grammar and spelling ain't perfect, but as long as it's readable and comprehensible it's ok I think. Good thing this isn't a gaming forum, you mention grammar on there and you get lynched.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Grammar? It's not too bad on these forums to be honest with you. I've seen much, much worse. There's only a few people here with absolutely atrocious grammar/spelling, and I don't know if they're just non-native English speakers, or very young, or flat-out stupid, or some combination of the three.... I just use the handy "Ignore" feature for people whose posts I can't even begin to decipher. Bad grammar and spelling really irritate me.

Try checking out the hellhole that is the jediknightii.net forums, and you'll appreciate the grammar here at SSG, I guarantee it. It's like a gigantic AOL chatroom, centered around JK2, times 10. Lots of stupid acronyms and l33t-speak as far as the eye can see. Actually the JKII.net forums are even a little above the par for gaming websites, so it goes to show how much worse things could be here (not that things are bad in the first place, really).

Good traders/sellers: pthfnder89, jjreason, bobafett07728, TK421, Lord Tenebrous, DahrJin, baby 01, Lman316, jonboy, swfreaker

For heavens sake! These messages are supposed to be the equivelent of a post-it note not a college thesis. It usually requires little extra brain power to decipher even the worst pidgin english. You want that everyone should pass an english exam before gaining the keys to the clubhouse? Oh let's have a Yale student only door policy.

Not everyone is blessed and fortunate enough to have the most perfect education. It's bloody elitist and rude to assume that they are in the wrong and should mend their ways. If you complain about someone's grammar or spelling then it's you who's at fault.

i thnk my gramr is ok wot do u thnk txtb jek
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

The issue of grammar mistakes on the forums doesn't bother me a bit. Everyone here is bound to make a mistake or two or three etc etc. I agree with Jargo on this matter, that's to say it doesn't matter, because I came here to chat, not to have a spelling contest. If I offended anyone I'm sorry that's just how I feel.
    Last edited by DarthBrandon; 07-28-2002 at 06:09 PM.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

I asked my Uncul Hasrbo and he said my grammar is fine.

anyone else noticed the how the English language
    I don't people to be perfect

I have noticed it, but I don't really are. Every now and then I see something that makes me cringe, but who am I to judge?

I rarely proofread my posts, as most of you can tell, but I can attribute most of my mixups to typos.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Re: Re: Grammar in the Forums

Originally posted by LTBasker

*Ahem*

I know my grammar and spelling ain't perfect, but as long as it's readable and comprehensible it's ok I think. Good thing this isn't a gaming forum, you mention grammar on there and you get lynched.
    Looks like I'm getting lynched anyway. If I would have realized this was a taboo subject, I wouldn't have posted it.

This is only 1 of 2 forums I ever read, so I don't know what generally happens in forums. I realize there people with all sort of different education levels here, so I don't expect college level posts from everybody.

I've just noticed (over the past month or so) that the general level of the posts have dropped slightly.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

rogue 2,

you're going about this all the wrong way. what "you" should do is,don't bring this up untill the entire forum community is trying to help "you" by offering constructive criticism, then"you" can throw in their face the fact that those trying to help "you" can't spell and are inferior to "you", and "you" can stand by the fact that "you" are the supreme expert on all things trivia and women, even though you're a kid and your parents pay all "your" expences.

i'm just using "you" as an example. i don't mean in any way "you" would do this. remember, it's just an example. and this little smiley face wink makes it OK.
    Last edited by derek; 07-28-2002 at 08:07 PM.