Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not exactly a diorama - Sith App Maul vs Plo Koon

This isn't exactly a diorama, it's definitely not a custom, but it's kinda an action figure-statue and I really like it. I set it up on my desk yesterday and I can't get enough of it. I think the "action" in "Action Figures" spoke to me and when I realized how I could have Maul held up in the air, I had to try it... and it worked! Originally, it worked without the clear rubber band because Maul's saber was OVER Plo's arm, but it was a bit too fragile and it seemed like Maul wouldn't have a hard time cracking Plo in the face that way. So check out the pics I took and enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/plo-maul/

BTW, I think Hasbro could do a killer 2-pack set like this with Vader choking Captain Antilles. Antilles could have hinged ankles to have the "dangling dead" look.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think Plo Koon should take the strike and end Maul's miserable existance early.

Maul could easily kick Plo Koon in the pants.

Very nice shots, Tricks!

I've never cut open Plo Koon's robes before. Thanks for showing me what I've been missing, in terms of getting him in an awesome action pose!

I think you should make figure "posters" like Hasbro is doing, highlighting some of the more obscure or cooler figures that belong together. That'd be a pleasure to view, and you obviously have the skill to do it.

Great shots! I did a stopmotion animation where Plo Koon turns and "halves" Final Duel Maul. Too bad I have no way of posting it on the internet, but it looks awesome, mostly because of Plo. Plo Koon is definitely a kick butt Jedi of the first order.

AND TO ANYONE READING THIS....OPEN PLO AND SAESEE'S ROBES IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! (Why on earth Hasbro didn't is beyond me...) Do what you gotta, boxcutter, exacto knife, scissors, butter knife. Anything to open 'em up!! DO IT NOW!!!!!

master jedi, my thought was that Maul was barely conscious and Plo was sucking the life out of him, so he can't even swing that lightsaber.

Thanks Tycho, glad you liked it. I've always wondered why Hasbro limited Plo Koon's "action spirit" by sealing his robe up like that, but I'm glad I could open your eyes to the possibilities.

As for the posters, I actually have wanted to do something like those for a while, but never had the resources or time. You'll notice that Plo and Maul are photographed on a white background, I simply don't have anything to put them on (and no printer to print up color backgrounds). I don't want to go overborad in Photoshop either, but I am still interested in the idea.

Rollo, I'd love to see what you whipped up, stop-motion figure movies have always been something I've wanted to try. Does your movie have the Maul falling down like my silly animated gif?

As for opening Sassy Tin's robe, I had a problem there because the robe is molded with the right side slightly overlapping the left, which requires a diagonal cut right down the front seam (which I failed at now it's all jagged).

Here are the 6 posters on Hasbro's site that I found:

poster_BountyHunters.jpg
    poster_hoth.jpg
    poster_tatooine1.jpg
    poster_starwars.jpg
    poster_episode4.jpg
    poster_trade_fed.jpg
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

AS for the X-Wing Luke in this link...

http://www.starwars.hasbro.com/conte...r_starwars.jpg

My Luke should look as good, and not so damn goofy like it does!
    "Do or do not... there is no try."

THat's GREAT! You should send it over to Toyfare Mag. I'm sure they'd love it!

I did a custom of Obi-Wan cutting D. Maul in half! Only mine has Maul decapitated and Obi-Wan holding his head in his left hand. It was my first custom back in mid-99. Long before the 2-pk came out.
    May the force be with you.

He kind of falls over like that JT. His top half pops up in the air before falling to the ground, then there his a long pause and his bottom half kind of teeters and topples over too. Plo is the foreground at the beginning of the clip and swings around one handed to chop him in half. To keep Maul's body suspended I had to rig up a framework using those clear plastic wire things that come in Cinema Scenes for instance. I had Maul propped up from behind so you couldnt see the wire. it took me about 90 minutes for 15 seconds, but a lot of that was trial and error in figuring out how to make it look good. Plus the background is just my computer desk, so when I work up the energy to try something more complicated, I'll want to make a decent backdrop for it.

Very inteseting I have never seen under Plo Koons cape untill today and I don't want to buy another one to ruin
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious