Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy There's a 31st of July???

I would have never guessed there were 31 days in a month, untill I saw it on the message board. More info on why there are 31 days would be nice to know. I know there were people back in the preroman/anciant Greece/semi Egyptian time when they started the whole calender thingie, but I'd like more detailed info like, names, dates, places, and such and such.

Weren't you taught in grade school . . .

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except February which has 28 and on leap year 29.

What get's me is Smarch. Lousy Smarch weather . . .
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

nope never learned that, I went to Public school and we weren't allowed to learn anything significat.
    "hopped up on Jar Jar Binks"

I think it's simply because "they" didn't want any non-31-day month to be directly before or after another non-31-day month so since June is 30 days, July couldn't be.

30 days hath Septober, April, June, and no wonder. All the rest have peanut butter, all except my dear grandmother. She had a little red tricycle... I stole it!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    Weren't you taught in grade school . . .

30 days has September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except February which has 28 and on leap year 29.

yeah, i was "taught" this as well, but for some reason it never ever stuck in my mind. i never found it memorable! it was too many words to be a memorable thing for me, aparently.

i'm always surprised at the dates... oh, this month has 31 days? cool. one more day before i have to pay the bills...

SMARCH RULES!!! D'OH
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Jonna
    Originally posted by rynobot
    nope never learned that, I went to Public school and we weren't allowed to learn anything significat.
    HA! Briliant!

I know who it was, it was Phumpalumpicas who invinted the calander.
    "hopped up on Jar Jar Binks"

Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    Another Simpsons fanatic. "It was the thirteenth hour of the thirteenth day of the thirteenth month."

25 hours/ 8 days a week/ 13 months out of the year......is when you speak----------RUN DMC
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by JediTricks
    I think it's simply because "they" didn't want any non-31-day month to be directly before or after another non-31-day month so since June is 30 days, July couldn't be.

July and August are both 31 day months.
    Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
    ~SK