Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The pod race was long enough as it was. I don't mind that they added or changed things to the background and the background characters though (am I the only one that noticed this?).

Blind faith is the path to the cliff edge my friend. Tread wary and keep watching your back.

Lucas is not a god. Lucas is not a genius. Lucas is not a good director. Lucas is an accomplished film practitioner. Holy smoke the man can hardly articulate his thoughts into a coherent sentence! Why worship such a buffoon? Without the skills of cinematographers like David Tattersall and John Dykstra Lucas wouldn't have Star Wars or the honours bestowed upon him by the industry and the media and fans. Lucas has ideas but they are mostly orchestrated and achieved by otherss far more talented than Mr. Lucas. I repeat slowly - HE IS NOT A GOD.....

Well, Jargo, at least you won't have to worry about getting a DVD player a few years from now and finding out LFL's no longer producing TPM on DVD, and, IMHO, that's AOK.

Back to the podrace--I thought it was plenty long as it was. The version on the second disc is ridiculously long, and has more than a few incredibly stupid sequences. The way it was edited back into the film was fine--it was nice to see Gasgano in action--except for the moronic bit about Anakin's pod spinning. That's lends even more of a deux ex machina feel to a race conclusion that was already a little too forced.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

all i'm gonna say is that if lucas didn't have enough sence into creating these films, we would be talking about so other show...and i think that he just wanted it to be seen. no, he is not a genius or a god JARGO, he is just a man with an idea.

what would we do if he just dropped dead? say "oh, they weren't that good anyway."?
    point in case
    end
    no more talk from me

The new podrace scene, especially the way it was recut back into the movie, is AWESOME!

Anakin's moves are terrific and proves even moreso that he was a great pilot. Sebulba frying Mars Guo with his flame-thrower is a classic, and the Tuskens gunning for Jawas, and the pit-probes getting smashed in the way, all are awesome!

That part of the movie is that much more fun for me now!

Way to go, George!

I can't tell which is sadder, Tycho's post or the fact that I think he's actually serious!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sure, the visuals are cool as always. The starting line additions are interesting, especially if you've ever been to a real auto race.

However... (you saw that coming, didn't you!) while we did indeed see Anakin show off his piloting skills even better than in the original cut, that whole bit with the control cable was pretty ridiculous. While it would have been wayyy over the top, Anakin could have showed us his Force ability by reaching out for the cable with only his hand and having it fly into it. Instead he has some kind of magnet or something. GL was so close to hitting the mark with so many of these elements and scenes but somehow didn't see the forest for the trees and missed.

Aside from that, the Sandcrawler thing is awesome! I won't give it away for those of you who haven't yet seen it.

More annoying?

Sooo, for those of us who never found it annoying in the first place can expect to be annoyed now? I haven't seen the DVD yet but I can't wait to see the new additions to my favorite scene!

I don't have a DVD player yet, but will be getting the disc. Can't wait to see the new scenes. I'm curious to see if they changed the sound effects in any way. Although they were good before.
    The power of the force

Just to point it out:

Anankin Skywalker has no telekinetic ability with the Force [that he's aware of] during the pod race, or at that time in his life.

He could use the Force to grab the loose cable on his pod racer, but ANAKIN doesn't know that.

His abilities in the Force he is already using is that of forewarning, or foresight into the future. "He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such fast reflexes."

Second, he has a centered confidence about him, and he retains control rather than panics, when Sebulba takes Mars Guo out and his pod hits Annie's, sending him into that spin.

Later, with Obi-Wan's training, Anakin can learn to use the Force to do things we saw Darth Vader do (like in Empire Strikes Back).

Just to point that out...