Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Harbor

Originally posted by brandon

If you read the entire post then that's basically what I said, to quote just the first part is a bit unfair don't you think. I never took Pearl Harbor as a historically correct film, because it wasn't even close. My point was that people bought into it even though it didn’t do anybody that was involved, living or passed on any justice. I never defended him in any way, I only stated something that was true, most of his films are blockbusters, regardless if they are good movies or not. Read the last two parts before you jump down my throat about it. Peace out.

The in my opinion says it all.
    Didn't mean to misrepresent your opinion with the short quote- I should have stated that I was more or less backing you up. My illustration was meant for those who might be thinking- "hey, what's wrong with making Titanic style drama out of historic events where lots of people die?"

Actually, I think Titanic did go the extra mile in treating those that died with a great deal of dignity- unlike Pearl Harbor!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Originally posted by JON9000

Didn't mean to misrepresent your opinion with the short quote- I should have stated that I was more or less backing you up. My illustration was meant for those who might be thinking- "hey, what's wrong with making Titanic style drama out of historic events where lots of people die?"

Actually, I think Titanic did go the extra mile in treating those that died with a great deal of dignity- unlike Pearl Harbor!
    Oops, I got double posted somehow, that's weird.
    Last edited by DarthBrandon; 08-05-2002 at 07:58 PM.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Originally posted by JON9000

No problem, I thought Titanic focused too much on the rushed love story, rather than the people on board the ship.

I think Pearl Harbor's major, fatal flaw was that it tried too hard to be just like Titanic.

I don't even know why the Doolittle raid was added to the end. I can't imagine what it must have been like to watch this one in the theaters. I can't even watch it all the way through while sitting in my living room.

However, if anyone just MUST buy this movie for the admittedly awesome special effects, then go out and pick up the R-Rated version. Must more blood, gore, dismemberment, disembowelment and decapitation for your money.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I only bought the DVD for the battle scenes only and that's it. If anything was close to being accurate it was those scenes. I didn't care too much for the Doolittle scenes at all, it kind of dragged on from that part.

Originally posted by icatch9
    I agree, this is not a very historic rendition of the events. However it does show in good acord what the bombing was like. How taken by surprise the US was, and how brutal the attacks where on the people of Pearl Harbor
    I agree totally, this is what drew me and many other people to this movie. We were all amazed with the style of Saving Private Ryan that made war so real to us. We hoped that this movie would give us that same insight to the attack of Pearl Harbor. Special Effects have gotten to a point that allows for a large scale recreation of epic events such as this attack. I was impressed with the sweeping images of the Japanese fighters/bombers making their attacks.

Sadly as the attack sequence progressed it seemed to try to "out do" the last scene. By the end of the battle we had fighter planes flying between single story buildings playing chicken with each other in order to destroy the following enemy aircraft. Pa Leaz! It seems every Japanese aircraft was plagued with a weak wing spar and snapped in 2 before striking the ground. Apparently just burning and falling into the sea wasn't an option. I would like to see someone attempt this topic again and get it right.

Mandalorian Candidat, if you have seen the original and now the Director's Cut did you notice any significant changes? I'm just curious what the Director decided to change.

Well, Pearl Harbor is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I love the music, so epic, heroic, romantic, yet tragic in the same verse.

I also love the romance in the movie. It gave the characters something to live for: hope.

Before Pearl Harbor, America was not at war. People joined the military for adventure, money for college, a career of honor serving one's country. They did not conceive of being called into duty against Hitler or the Emperor.
    They wanted to live out their lives and feel fulfilled:

Rayf wanted to be the best pilot and to have an adventure. He volunteered for the Royal Air Force to defend London for that reason. But before he left he found a new dream he wanted more than anything to fulfill: making a life and love last with Evelyn.

Danny was just finding himself. He wanted to be a great pilot, but I think a large part of what he wanted was for Rayf to be proud of him. They were best friends, and probably close to the same age, but Danny looked up to Rayf as a big brother. He was shy with girls and didn't know for sure what he wanted, but he and Evelyn shared their close bond with Rayf and their hurt from his (presumed) loss.

It gave Rayf a reason to survive his crash off of England.

It gave Danny a cause to keep his new found love, but repair the damage done to his relationship with Rayf.

They had to survive and come together to get through the tragedy of Pearl Harbor.

Their fictional characters made me empathize their dreams with mine. It made me care about them so much, and wonder how things were going to work out if the constant bombardment would ever stop.

As an American, it made me enraged and want to fight as I saw the Japanese strike our hospitals, our fire engines and paramedics who were trying to save lives, as well as shoot up life boats and rescue ships trying to save dying men - and others who were trapped and drowning in ships they were sealed into as watery tombs. When Dorris Miller got a hold of that machine gun and started desperately hammering away at the Japanese planes, I felt elation in the face of horror - and glory as he made his kill. Just as when Danny and Rayf shot down their zeros.

The Doolittle Raid gave me a sense of some revenge, and so helped me find a way to expunge the feeling of hopelessness I felt as our hopsitals and crewman barracks were mercilessly attacked. The Japs didnt' need to blast our hospitals to cripple our Navy's ability to fleet ships. Their cruel attack made me feel Hiroshima and Nakasaki were justified if I just felt with my heart and concerned myself with no further thought into it (and even when I do, I'm pretty sure we were right to drop the bombs - they got civilians, but they did target and hit military installations).

In any case, I watch this film often, and the characters of Raft and Danny remind me of my own friendship with my best pal I've gone on many adventures with. His name's Dan actually, but he'd remind you more of Rayf - the big brother always looking out for you and your partner in crime.

I totally disagree with all of your assessments on women and their romantic roles in war movies. It gives the characters something to return from. Most war movies that don't have that hope, should end like Glory -the heroes dying for their ideals. It's all they have left. I'm also surprised you don't understand this, when Star Wars is heading directly into this pattern with the Anakin - Padme relationship.

If it was not historically patterned, the Baby Boom would never have happened. Think about it logically.

To really empathize with a character and hope they survive, you have to know their dreams and relate to them as well. What does the character want beyond victory? Why have victory in the first place if you don't have dreams about what you'll do with it if you get it?

That's all.

-Tycho
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I still love this movie and think Kate Beckinsale looks so darn delicious in this film that - Wow!

The dog-fighting scenes were really great too!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Funny that this thread should get bumped since I was thinking of rewatching it last night. I haven't, but coincidental nonetheless.

It might not be the most historically accurate piece, but it's good entertainment.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I liked this movie alot too, but I think Tora Tora Tora is better for historical accuracy. Hollywood had to jazz up the story to make it watchable these days. Otherwize we may as well have watched TTT. I personally liked the Battle of Britain and Doolittle parts of the movie. Any chance to see those cool warplanes in action. Though some of the planes used were mock-ups (the Zeros, Kates and Vals) or later models because the correct ones don't exist outside of a museum (P-40's) Almost every plane in the movie Pearl Harbor was wrong. Just like it was in that old movie Midway. The general public doesn't know that, and it's ok as long as they get close to being accurate. I love war movies with planes