Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Harbor

Yesterday I was reading about how during the filming of "Saving Private Ryan", no Tiger tanks existed (one has been completely restored since) so they had to use Yugoslavian T34s. The wheel configs are different and without all the add-ons from Dreamworks, it's like comparing a Ferrari and a Ford Focus.

I remember reading a particularly scathing review of Pearl Harbor when it first came out which pointed out that none of the planes were correct and that it detracted from the overall experience.

The last time I checked, nobody had perfected the TIE Fighter.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I think has 15-20 minutes of awesomeness, surrounded by 2 hours+ of crap.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    I think has 15-20 minutes of awesomeness, surrounded by 2 hours+ of crap.
    Wooo wooo woooooo hold on there, its not as if the filmakers had much material to work with. A sneak attack on Pearl launching America into WWII, is that really enough to make a movie??? I think not! Thus the love triangle.

Well, forgive me for being into the love triangle. For one, I'm way into Kate Beckinsale. For another, hitting on beautiful girls I'd sometimes have less than a prayer's hope of getting is a very familiar past time for me (and sometimes you do succeed). So the love story, and as I said, a reason for the pilots to want to get back alive, fit well into the movie, and that did make it more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Almost every plane in the movie Pearl Harbor was wrong. Just like it was in that old movie Midway. The general public doesn't know that, and it's ok as long as they get close to being accurate. I love war movies with planes
    Midway is another movie I'm looking to buy and watch sometime later this week. It was a great film too.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Wooo wooo woooooo hold on there, its not as if the filmakers had much material to work with. A sneak attack on Pearl launching America into WWII, is that really enough to make a movie??? I think not!
    I think it could have been. It had the potential to be on the same level as Saving Private Ryan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Thus the love triangle.
    And the love story in Pearl Harbor was almost as bad as AOTC.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Yesterday I was reading about how during the filming of "Saving Private Ryan", no Tiger tanks existed (one has been completely restored since) so they had to use Yugoslavian T34s. The wheel configs are different and without all the add-ons from Dreamworks, it's like comparing a Ferrari and a Ford Focus.

I remember reading a particularly scathing review of Pearl Harbor when it first came out which pointed out that none of the planes were correct and that it detracted from the overall experience.

The last time I checked, nobody had perfected the TIE Fighter.
    I was wondering where they got that Tiger Tank! They had alot of cool armor in that town, like the German Rabbit- the motocycle with treads. And that 20 mm cannon they shredded the americans with................ As far as Pearl Harbor is concerned, they got pretty close. I mean there are almost no Japanese aircraft flying from WWII. They used the same aircraft from Tora Tora Tora. These were converted Northrop AT-6's a WWII trainer. Made to look like the Kate Torpedo Bomber, Val Dive Bomber, And of course the Zero. They managed to find two real P-40's which were at PH. Though they were the P-40N instead of the P-40B Tomahawk. The B-25 Bombers for the Doolittle raid were the correct versions. All in all that's pretty damn close.

There was talk of making a mini series called "The Pacific War" by El Spielbergo, THanks and many others who helped make Band of Brothers. There was some preproduction work done but it seems the movie is dead.

That's too bad. Band of Brothers literally defines the the European Theater of the war more than any other movie or series. A definitive Pacific Theater series would do just as well - cumulating with Hiroshima perhaps.

They need a better title however.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Well, forgive me for being into the love triangle. For one, I'm way into Kate Beckinsale.
    I just saw her in Underworld Evolutions. Sweet thing! She does a nude love scene. Tastefully of course. You don't get to see alot of her in that part but still! She can bite me anytime. She's my perfect Vampire, but that's another thread.

I was full of anticipation before this movie came out. Braveheart is one of my favorite films, and since Randall Wallace was also writing Pearl Harbor, I figured it would be awesome. Add to that the fact that I love history, especiall WWII, especially the Pacific Theater, and this was supposed to be my movie.

Then I watched the movie.

I can ignore historical inaccuracies. Look at Braveheart. The Battle of Stirling Bridge minus the bridge? Pearl Harbor held no interest for me whatsoever. I'm sure it didn't help that Spielberg had made Saving Private Ryan a couple of years earlier and the beginning of Saving Private Ryan looked like the invasion of Normandy while Pearl Harbor looked like a mere FAA disaster with a bomb falling on U.S.S. Arizona to remind you it was supposed to be the Pearl Harbor attack. I tend to remember Pearl Harbor almost exclusively for four things: Kate Beckinsale, Jaime King, Ewen Bremner, and an odd role by Dan Akroyd, odd because it was completely serious.

Why does Bremner stand out for me? I'm not sure. I tend to think of him at the same time I think of Tommy Flanagan, so it might just be that I'm gravitating toward my Scottish heritage. And I always note when either of them show up unexpectedly in movies, such as Alien Vs. Predator which had both of them. Hmm, and Tommy Flanagan was in Braveheart. My mind must have these two just stuck in some kind of crazy web of connections.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06