Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom 3

Thumbs up Doom 3

My god, has anyone seen the latest video? It's probably 8 minutes long, nearly 85mb but it shows off the graphics. Its hard to believe how smoothly it runs being that the textures aren't images but rather INDIVIDUAL MODELS. I'm going to need a new PC just to run this on medium settings. Plus, Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack so that's probably going to be better than Q3's...
    "Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things." - Silent Bob, Mallrats

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." - Ben Kenobi

Game discussion, all the time any time.www.videogametheater.com/forum

Any idea what the minimum requirements are to play Doom 3? How about the recommeded requirements?? I'm getting a new computer soon and I want to make sure I get one that will easily handle Doom 3.

Jeez, I have no clue. Carmack said the computers they were showing it off on at E3 were only on medium settings since high was a bit unstable. I'm guessing at least 1.4ghz processor, 512 mb of ram, and a very new video card. I'll edit or post a new thing if I get some more info on an idea of how good a PC you'll need...
    "Adventure, excitement... a Jedi craves not these things." - Silent Bob, Mallrats

Yay! Another game that will push my system to the limits and FORCE me to upgrade!

Yeah I've been checking around a little bit but haven't found out what the requirements are. I plan on getting at least a 2.0Ghz computer with a 128meg GeForce 4 card, so I should be ok then hopefully.

That should be good, I asked a friend of mine who knows a lot about gaming and technical stuff and he says:

AMD XP 1800+
    ASUS A7V333 or A7S333 motherboard
    512MB PC2700DDR
    GeForce 4 Ti4200
    ATA100 Hard drive

He said that will run it smoothly on medium detail. You seem set JediDan.

Whoah 500+megs?? Whew thats alot of ram. Is the Athlon XP chip better for gaming than the Pentium 4?? That's another thing I might have to take into consideration. Hey thanks for the help Mike&theBots.

Originally posted by JediDan
    Whoah 500+megs?? Whew thats alot of ram. Is the Athlon XP chip better for gaming than the Pentium 4?? That's another thing I might have to take into consideration. Hey thanks for the help Mike&theBots.
    Well, I personally prefer AMDs to Pentiums but that's just me. I think Carmack (programmer of such monumental Id games as Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, and now Doom 3) said in an interview they were designing the game (Doom 3) for use with an AMD chip and whatnot, and they were using them in the development. Not sure if that answers your question about games in general but I think Doom 3 might run a bit better on an AMD. I doesn't matter though, the difference would be very very slight...

I have to agree with Mikeandthebots. While I prefer Intel Chips, the difference between the two companies is negligible. You may be able to pull out 2 or 3 fps, with one or the other, but does that really matter. I see a fast video card and lots of memory as paramount to most games these days. BTW I am running a P4 1.4 with a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and 512MB or RDRAM and I have yet to find a game that slows down to where I can't play it.

Thats's reassuring news to hear Robman. So if a P4 1.4 works great than a P4 2.+ should work great for the newer games. I can't wait to play Rollercoaster Tycoon on my new upcoming computer. Whenever I would get alot of things happening on screen at once the game would slow down horribly to where I would have to pause the game just so I could scroll the screen. Now if I only had the money to buy an ALienware computer.