Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by Wooooof
    I once had a nightmare that all my SW figures saw me as a ruthless tyrant and were plotting to kill me. I had them all displayed next to my bed and when I rolled over and saw them they were all just staring at me! It creeped me out pretty bad, so I locked them up in my C-3P0 case and never let them out. Try to stage a coup in my house, eh? Well rot in eternal solitu....oh sorry, is this thing on?

Thats what you get when you open your toys
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

I still like having mine open. ONE problem came along though. My Death Star Droid's paint started to slowly chip away...so I had to ziplock bag him to prevent anymore paint from getting knicked away at.

The rest of my figures seem to survive being in a rubber made container though
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

My walls are full of peg boards and hooks with figures hanging. I can't forced myself to open the figures. I cann't open them even for my dioramas. I have to buy loose figures for them.

It's H#ll!!!!
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.

I think the main reason is most people think that the new stuff is going to be valuable and thats why they come up with stupid excuses like "I like the way they look on the card" or "I'd lose the weapons if I opened them"
    Not that I particularly care too much, I just want to sound off on this one. OK, so it bothers me... I am really tired of being made to feel like I am some kind of profit seeker (scalper) because I keep my figs carded. Y'know GNT I really do "like the way they look on the card" It IS NOT some stupid excuse. In fact, I'd like to know why is that a "stupid excuse"? Is it stupid because you feel differently about your toys and those who don't share your views about THEIR toys must have another motive for collecting, such as profit. I COLLECT Star Wars toys purely because of my deep love and connection to the movies since I was a child. I DO NOT COLLECT FOR PROFIT. I'm sure I have spent way more than I could ever even hope to make back. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! I truly enjoy every aspect of this hobby. Anyone who takes this hobby seriously knows that anything made in the last 6 or 7 years isn't exactly in short supply (with some obvious exceptions) So anyone who thinks they're going to put their kids through college with their Episode 1 action figure collection in 20 years is an unrealistic idiot.

Personally, I can't "play" with my toys anymore. It's just not the same as it was some 17 years ago. I also do not have close to enough space to properly display opened figures. It's much easier for me to buy and store my figures right away. I don't care if the card is perfect or if the bubble yellows. At least this way the paint stays intact, the joints don't get loose, you don't lose the accessories etc etc etc. So if I ever manage to secure the kind of space I want to properly display my figures I can open them. Just try not to convince yourself that because others enjoy yhe same hobby a little differently that you are a "true fan" and they are not. I don't collect ANY other toys. NONE. If I was looking for profit down the road I'm sure I'd be buying many other things like...

McFarlane
    Hot Wheels
    Transformers
    GI Joe
    Digimon
    Barbie
    Harry Potter

...and so on.
    Consequences dictate
    our course of action
    and it doesn't matter what's right.
    It's only wrong if you get caught.

Its so amazing how this thread just took off!! Its cool getting all the feedback from all of you! Its so funny, because when I origanaly posted, it was out of fun and some frustration. All I know, is that now, I have a much easier time keeping things together since I dont open things anymore! Oh, and I have another number one excuse as to why I shouldnt open my figs now...because my daugher can crawl, and star wars are now becoming tasty treats!!

Peace!
    "Luke, join the dark side, it's so wizard!"

Originally posted by ChronicJedi
    I am really tired of being made to feel like I am some kind of profit seeker (scalper) because I keep my figs carded. Y'know GNT I really do "like the way they look on the card" It IS NOT some stupid excuse. In fact, I'd like to know why is that a "stupid excuse"? Is it stupid because you feel differently about your toys and those who don't share your views about THEIR toys must have another motive for collecting, such as profit. I COLLECT Star Wars toys purely because of my deep love and connection to the movies since I was a child. I DO NOT COLLECT FOR PROFIT. I'm sure I have spent way more than I could ever even hope to make back. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! I truly enjoy every aspect of this hobby. Anyone who takes this hobby seriously knows that anything made in the last 6 or 7 years isn't exactly in short supply (with some obvious exceptions) So anyone who thinks they're going to put their kids through college with their Episode 1 action figure collection in 20 years is an unrealistic idiot.
    I wasn't aimimg my response at you directly but when people post "I'd lose the weapons if I opened them", I really think thats a stupid reason to come up with to keep them carded. If you enjoy keeping them carded then so be it, I don't care.
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Hey, no hard feelings, I don't really care either. Like I said though, I'm tired of the broad generalization made by "openers" that all "carded" collectors are just in it for profit. I'm sure a lot are, but not me. It's not the first time this has come up nor will it be the last. All I'm saying is have fun. That's what we're in this for anyway, right!?
    Consequences dictate
    our course of action
    and it doesn't matter what's right.
    It's only wrong if you get caught.

I'd lose the weapons if I opened them them
    But its true!! at least for me!
    "Luke, join the dark side, it's so wizard!"

Oh, come on, open them up...you know you want to

Just to add my two cents (or $6.99, depending on where you shop). I had everything mint on card for years, and it was so much hassle to maintain that fresh "mint-y" feeling. Sure people would stand in awe when they walked into my house, and the next question without pausing would be, "Well, when are you going to open them?" And I was just going to keep them FOREVER in package because that's just what you're supposed to do. And then something really happened to me...I got a health scare...a big one. (I'm am so fine now, thankfully). But there's nothing like a health scare to make you realize, "What the hell am I doing?" I wanted to play and display my figures, but I just kept them sealed and away from light like a gremlin. After many years, I had an opening ceremony, and absolutely love those figures. Life is just too freaking short to worry about a .01 or a .02. Sure I would be rolling in dough if I kept all those vintage figures carded and tucked away, but you can't take them with you, so just enjoy them.

Zach

I had my Micromachines all nice and carded for awhile until lack of space decided their fate. It was a bloodbath that day. Well, really a plastic-fest, but all of these toys are appreciated much more by everyone when they can pick 'em up and walk them around.