Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anybody read Archie comics?

Archie Andrews, America's favorite teenager, celebrates 60 years of having a beat-up jalopy, 2 best girls, and orange hair with a pound sign "#" in it. Seriously though, Archie turns 60 this year and I am just in shock, it seems almost impossible that these characters have been around that long. I've read Archie comics all my life, and my parents have too so I guess it's not that surprising, but it still seems like it's impossile that these characters have been around so long. Archie's jalopy hasn't changed all that much (ok, except for when he has the Mustang ) and his relationship problems haven't gotten much better, his pals haven't changed much and his parents are still fairly supportive. Perhaps this lack of change is what makes the comics so great, I've got hundreds of Archie Digests (I refuse to buy the full-size comics anymore because they seem like a total waste of money) and I can read a story from a few months ago and it usually seems in step with stories from the '60s (you Archie fans remember the '60s, it's when Jughead's fashion sense didn't seem so odd ). I dunno, it just seems relaxing in today's crazy world to read something fun yet harmless, where Riverdale never has major disasters & death tolls.

So, anybody here besides me read Archie comics?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not since I was a kid and relatives would buy my brother and I some of those digests to read on the road. I can't remember anything about them but they did keep us entertained and out of the parents hair.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: Anybody read Archie comics?

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Archie Andrews, America's favorite teenager, celebrates 60 years of having a beat-up jalopy, 2 best girls, and orange hair with a pound sign "#" in it. Seriously though, Archie turns 60 this year and I am just in shock, it seems almost impossible that these characters have been around that long. I've read Archie comics all my life, and my parents have too so I guess it's not that surprising, but it still seems like it's impossile that these characters have been around so long. Archie's jalopy hasn't changed all that much (ok, except for when he has the Mustang ) and his relationship problems haven't gotten much better, his pals haven't changed much and his parents are still fairly supportive. Perhaps this lack of change is what makes the comics so great, I've got hundreds of Archie Digests (I refuse to buy the full-size comics anymore because they seem like a total waste of money) and I can read a story from a few months ago and it usually seems in step with stories from the '60s (you Archie fans remember the '60s, it's when Jughead's fashion sense didn't seem so odd ). I dunno, it just seems relaxing in today's crazy world to read something fun yet harmless, where Riverdale never has major disasters & death tolls.

So, anybody here besides me read Archie comics?
    JT, I've read a few Archie comics during my younger days. I too collected the digest version only, even though I did collect comic books for the longest time.

I estimate that I have about 50-60 of the digest comics. The good thing about those is that you got stories from the 60's and 70's even though they were published in the 90's. It's funny reading the dialogue from those days "nifty" "swell" and "groovy." Also funny seeing the gang dress up in bell bottoms. I got a bunch of them laying around my basement that my mom has tried to throw out, but I won't let her. I bust them out of their box every now and then, especially around Christmas. Those were my favorite ones. I have stopped buying Archie comics now, except during the holidays. I always buy the Christmas ones to this day, even though I have a lot of repeated stories.

My favorite characters are Sabrina, Moose, and Jughead.

(Grabs his Jughead comic) Now, I'm going to pinch a loaf. When I get back this all get's cleaned up, right? (Leaves for the john)

Ahhh, what memories.

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I used to read the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" comics that Archie Comics used to do, but not Archie himself. Those comics were actually quite good. Mass suicides, murders, blood, rotting corpses, loss of limbs & other body parts, dirty jokes, drugs, intimate relations (like a Soap), etc., included in each edition. Certainly more dark and adult oriented than the cartoon or live action show they had on CBS and FOX.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 08-08-2002 at 11:29 AM.

yea I read the Christian ones.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I recently uncovered over 100 digests in my apt, so there's plenty of reading fun for me over the next few months. I love the outfits they give the gang in those '70s ones, they totally don't get the era so they dress them like hippies from the '60s - especially Jughead.

Malakite, I didn't know the Archie-brand TMNT was any good, I figured it would be super-watered-down and avoided it like the plague.

scruff, what Christian ones?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Malakite, I didn't know the Archie-brand TMNT was any good, I figured it would be super-watered-down and avoided it like the plague.
    Yeah, they were actually quite good. I could give you more specific details as to why they are good if you like, just as long as you don't mind the stories being spoiled.

Have ever played TMNT: Tournament Fighters on the Super Nintendo? Thats actually where a few of the fighters originally came from. If you find any cheap, I'd suggest picking them up. Just avoid the crappy, cartoony looking, special editions.

Wasent there a Simpsons where Homer tried to hang out with the Archie gang? I think theres a part in that episode where they throw him from the jolopy and say somthing to the affect of "Stay out of Riverdale!" Or am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned?
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

- David Bowie: The laughing gnome.

Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
    Wasent there a Simpsons where Homer tried to hang out with the Archie gang? I think theres a part in that episode where they throw him from the jolopy and say somthing to the affect of "Stay out of Riverdale!" Or am I just paranoid, or am I just stoned?
    That happened, I just can't remember what the episode was called though.

Oh! Man! Did I ever. I read so many Archie comics when I was a kid, that some people may have called me a junkie. Those were the days, Archie comics and S.W. toys, I couldn't have asked for a better childhood.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!