Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

*SIGH* Fox Announces Pan & Scan Episode I

I predicted it in the E2 DVD thread, and I hate to say that I was right. Fox announced this morning that streeting the same day as the E2 DVD release will be a Pan & Scan release of Episode I. Other then the basterdized Fullframe version of the film, the 2-disc set will contain the same extras as the original Widescreen release of the film. OAR takes another hit.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 08-08-2002 at 06:49 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Err...why? I can't understand releasing it then, but now it's just overkill. That's gonna sit badly. Everybody who wanted the E1 DVD already got it for the widescreen wether they liked it or not, now maybe if it had some new extras on it, but not with them just stretching the picture.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

What's the POINT?!?!?!
    I HATE Pan & Scan
    Why can't DVD users just learn to cope with Widescreen, why do Pan & Scan versions have to start coming out? There was a time when DVDs were mostly Widescreen, but now Pan & Scan are trying to take over

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

"oh I don't like the black bars, they distract me"

{enter billfremore with NERF™ bat}

WHAMMO!

The only person who could remotely possibly justify buying pan & scan is someone who owns a 13" TV, and it better be black and white.

But that does raise the question...
    Why are you buying DVDs when you own a 13" Black and White TV!?!
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

Hell, I currently watch my DVD's on a 19" TV. Unless you are sitting a mile away from the screen even 2.35:1 films look fine on that size TV. It's times like this I miss laserdiscs, the format may have been expensive...but it catered to people that wanted the movie as it was presented in the theaters. Ever since DVD got cheaper, the people that want Pan & Scan crap have been increasing. And the studios are starting to listen.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Ever since DVD got cheaper, the people that want Pan & Scan crap have been increasing. And the studios are starting to listen.
    People suck!
    Why can't they just give people both options?
    Is it too expensive for them to produce?
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

I see both sides of the topic. I never used to like widescreen becasue I didn't understand the difference. This was a while ago when I was younger. My brother loved widescreen and I'd make fun of him (I made fun of him a lot, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary). Now I understand the benifits of a widscreen. Still most people aren't freaks about thier moives. They don't care what the 3 Ork on the left looks like when he's stabbed. The black bars arnt so distracting as they are annoying. It makes the picture so small ever on a good size TV. Clearly you disagree with this Jar Jar, but remember people are stupid and they don't have to make sense. It seems to me ath most major movies are offered on both WS and P & S. Wich I think is great. I don't know why on Earth anyone would buy the P & S of TPM, but some people may be freaks about it, just the way you guys are freaks about WS. The more choices we get I think the better for the fans.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Nicely said icatch
    I just ranted in the AOTC thread, but I have another point - does anybody really think they will stop releasing WS versions of DVDs?
    If your answer is no (like me), then WHO CARES if they release a P&S version?

What bugs me is those old 2 sided discs, with WS on one side, and P&S on the other. Austin Powers comes to mind.
    Myself, I just want WS, so instead of having a 2 sided disc like that, I'm GLAD they are now releasing separate versions. I just have to be careful, like when I bought LOTR.

What damage will a P&S release do ? Yeah, we talk about the "ignorants" who prefer P&S, but they preferred it BEFORE DVD was a hit - so it's not like they are jeopardizing future releases. WS was fine all along, it's not going anywhere.

I'm coining a phrase right now, "DVD snobbery"

Actually Caesar, there already have been a few cases of P&S only versions of movie releases. That's the big fear that P&S releases are causing. That the studios will start considering P&S releases the norm, and WS releases will slow.

Originally "Willy Wonka and the Choclate Factory" was a P&S only release, until the DVD community started boycotts and petitions against Warner Bros. "The Goonies" DVD release was going to be a P&S only release, until the DVD community threatened the same, and Richard Donner, the films director said that he wouldn't participate in a butchering of his film. Same thing almost happened with "Watership Down", and a few other titles that slip my mind.

Disney just recently released "Snow Dogs" as a P&S only release, and there have been other releases from not just them that have ignored WS, because it wasn't considered necissary. A few classic movies, including some horror movies were recently released in P&S only. Seriously, I prefer that they do a seperate P&S release also, then sticking the P&S version on the same disc. I just worry that it will lead to more movies being released P&S only, because the studio considers it "not necissary".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exactly. People voiced their desire for Wonka and Goonies in WS, and they got it. The studios recognized the "necessity" of this matter, and obliged. Why worry about them finding it unnecessary when we've seen the results of those discs?

Snow Dogs? I'll let that one slip - can't say I noticed the buzz around it's P&S release.